Iberianature Forum

Diclofenac,NSAIDS and the threat to Iberian vultures

• 75 Replies

Offline peanut

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2008, 16:09 PM »
Hi All,
have sped read through the updates since mid_May, when I had to disappear to the land of grey! Now back, but will need time to catch up!

I know vets in England who often use drugs intended for humans on animals, and indeed vice-versa, if it saves them a trip to the GP's....not good practice, but their view is, for example, an antibiotic is an antibiotic!

Whilst I was in England, I spoke to my son's GP about the vulture/Diclofenac problem. He was very up to date with it and agreed it will have massive ecological effects. Interestingly enough, he was very disparaging about the training vet's receive in Asia (he is an Indian himself) and suggested there "is nothing you can do to stop this problem as it is caused by ignorance".

Will catch up with all info, then reply further! Judith

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2008, 17:23 PM »
Hi all,

It seems that testing with diclofenac has been done on Iberian Gyps Fulvus by vets at the Jerez zoo and I spent some time asking questions yesterday. I have just been sent these two PDF documents that have some more information. (Just click the links to download and read them).

The dosage to kill a griffon is so incredibly small. Death occurs quickly.

Hopefully we will get some more information soon as to the numbers of Griffons in Iberia and their migratory habits. There is an Iberian griffon count done every 10 years and this year is a count year....Not sure when or even if the data will be available to general public though...

Clive

Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline judith

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2008, 19:25 PM »
Hi all,
We were spaeking to a student Vet this weekend and she had no knowledge of the Diclofenac/vulture prob. She did say that she thought Diclofenac was not licensed for Vet. use in Europe and was shocked to hear of poss. licensing in Africa and it's potential effects for Spanish Vultures.....hopefully she will spread the word to her student friends....hopefully will be seeing more of her and her family (great fun and very Spanish!) and once her exams are over will suggest she joins Iberianature....she could possibly learn a lot from our resident vet, when he returns!
Clive any more news, replies or updates? It seems to be going awful quiet!

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2008, 22:43 PM »
As far as i know the only open and questioning discussion about iberian vultures and diclofenac on the net in English language is here at iberianatureforum... Tell your student vet that her input here would be greatly valued......

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2008, 15:53 PM »
Latest news regarding the situation for Asian vultures at birdlife international
http://www.birdlife.org/news/news/2008/08/indian_drug_announcemment.html

Offline judith

« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2008, 14:20 PM »
Excellent news, if it works! Will pas it on to my vet student friend!
Do we know if the licence has been granted for Africa?

Offline arvak

« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2008, 15:58 PM »
Thanks for that Clive

Rgs. Arvak

Offline parthenope

• Cornwall
    • www.cornishnature.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2008, 10:55 AM »
Hi all,

Another similar article can be found here

http://www.birdguides.com/webzine/article.asp?a=1415

It also talks about the rise in packs of feral dogs filling the niche previously occupied by vultures.
Regards
Steve

Cornish Nature, a work in progress
Dragonflies, images and studies of nature from near and afar
www.cornishnature.co.uk

Offline Cris

• Save the vultures
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2008, 15:30 PM »
Hi!
I give you two interesting links, my friend David (FAB) has given them:
http://www.vulturerescue.org/
http://www.zsl.org/info/media/press-releases/null,1872,PR.html
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 15:49 PM by Clive »

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2008, 15:55 PM »
Hi Cris,

Thanks for the links they work as reminders for the general Asian diclofenac problem....

However, I would be most interested in any information you have as to movements and numbers of migratory Iberian Griffons into Africa....

This topic is pretty much at a standstill until we get some accurate up to date information on migration habits plus the law in African countries on the use of Diclofenac, and also Iberian wide population figures...

Looking forward to any ideas...

Clive

(PS Cris, you can place a link to your website in your signature from your member profile area... Let me know if you need any help to do this....
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 20:25 PM by Clive »

Offline Cris

• Save the vultures
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2008, 16:17 PM »
Hi everyone!
I'll try to get some information about the number of vultures that migrate to Africa. It seems to be a difficult work,  :banghead: there's no infomation in internet, I've writen to some friends that are making vultures counts in Spain. If I get any information I'll say you.
Thanks, Clive I've already put my page in the signature (Spanglish?)  :clapping:
Cris

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2008, 07:25 AM »
SEO/Birdlife's Griffon census was brought forward a year. If I remember why, I'll tell you. They're still waiting for the results from Navarra and Catalunya, I think, but the numbers are expected to be between 26,000 and 30,000.
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2009, 22:24 PM »
The following quotes are taken from a Birdlife International report     - click the link for the full page. Remember that Egyptian Vultures and young Griffon Vultures migrate to Africa to winter there.....

International call to learn to love vultures - or lose them

04-09-2009

BirdLife Partners in Africa and elsewhere have joined with raptor conservation and research organisations around the world to call for an “image makeover” for vultures. They will be celebrating International Vulture Awareness Day on 5 September 2009.

Vultures fulfill an extremely important ecological role. They keep the environment free of carcasses and waste, restrict the spread of diseases such as anthrax and botulism, and help control numbers of pests such as rats and feral dogs by reducing the food available to them. They are of cultural value to communities in Africa and Asia, and have important eco-tourism value.

"One major challenge to detecting and countering these threats is that there are very few people out there watching vultures, let alone counting them. Thus it is difficult to determine population trends and to detect declining populations", said Paul Kariuki Ndang'ang'a, BirdLife's Species Programme Manager for Africa. "The Asian Vulture Crisis has shown that without proper monitoring, a population crash can take place virtually undetected."

Some of the main conservation actions that have been identified for vultures in Africa include: (1) establishing a monitoring network for African vultures, (2) establishing legal protection for the species in range states, (3) eliminating the veterinary use of diclofenac and other toxic drugs in Africa, and (4) carrying out education and awareness programmes, particularly targeted at farmers, to reduce persecution, unintentional poisoning and hunting for cultural reasons.
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2009, 08:50 AM »
Latest news is rather depressing in that other vetinary drugs cause rapid death in vultures... This time Ketoprofen... below quote from RSPB UK with regards to the Asian vulture decline but I guess this latest discovery applies to Iberian populations of griffons especially the migratory ones

For every 1000 Oriental white-backed vultures occuring in southern Asia in the 1980s only one remains today because of the lethal effects of diclofenac - a drug used to treat livestock - on vultures. Alarmingly, researchers looking into safe alternatives have now identified that a second, livestock treatment in Asia - ketoprofen - is also lethal to the birds. Vultures feeding on the carcasses of recently-treated livestock suffer acute kidney failure within days of exposure.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/news/details.asp?id=tcm:9-236617

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2009, 07:41 AM »
Here is the article from the BBC
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8402464.stm

A veterinary pain drug can be lethal to vultures that eat the carcasses of treated livestock, say scientists.

Ketoprofen is an anti-inflammatory that is used in India to treat cattle.

It had been proposed as a replacement for diclofenac, which scientists say brought some species of Asian vulture to the brink of extinction.

A study published in the Royal Society journal Biology Letters says it causes the birds to suffer acute kidney failure within days of exposure.

This is the same toxic effect caused when vultures feed on the carcasses of animals treated with diclofenac.

Researchers had thought that ketoprofen would be less harmful because it metabolised faster by cows, and converted within hours into a form that is not dangerous to vultures.

But an international team of scientists that carried out safety tests on the drug, found that doses administered to cattle in India were sufficient to kill the birds.

It's a shame the vet from madrid doesn't post here any more... He may have been able to help with information about the use of Ketoprofen in Spain....

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2012, 09:57 AM »
As an update to the present situation in Southern Asia, 4yrs after Clive brought our attention to this problem.....
Conserving South Asia's Vultures

''No vultures will be left in India and the rest of South Asia if immediate steps are not taken for their conservation, NGOs have warned at the CBD CoP 11 currently being held in Hyderabad, India. South Asia once had millions of vultures but over the last decade, 99% of three species have disappeared.''
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2014, 17:48 PM »
Now that the tide has turned for Asian vultures. the Spanish government has just approved the vetinerary use of Diclofenac on livestock here
http://www.paleovivo.org/aprueban-uso-de-veneno/ !!!!!!!!!!
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2014, 11:40 AM »
Absolutely disgusting.... I really have no idea why this is happening.... maybe this in depth topic that we started years ago should be sent to the idiots allowing this....

Offline Juan-P

• Saved this serin!
    • Knowall's Awesome Almería
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2014, 21:45 PM »
Signed.