Iberianature Forum

Al son del indiano

• 2 Replies

Offline potes

« on: May 11, 2008, 15:34 PM »
Hello All

A few weeks ago I took a short break over in Asturias, the first few days of trip was to visit the Somiedo national park and then onto the small village of Melleza in order to eat at a restaurant located there called Al son del Indiano (www.alsondelindiano.com). I had eaten here back in 1999 and such was the charm and excellence of the food I swore that someday I would return. Back In 1999 the restaurant had only just been bought by the owner but even at this early stage of its development I knew it would go on to be very special indeed.

So often when one returns to a previously enjoyed delight you are left with that depressing feeling of " not quite as good as I remembered " syndrome. However on this occasion the whole experience surpassed even my most optimistic of expectations. For any restaurant the menu would be excellent but considering its location it becomes remarkable ( I am unsure as to  what the locals make of it though ) The downstairs is a bar/art gallery/garden and the main restaurant located upstairs and is bedecked in a wonderful eclectic fashion that can be paraphrased  by the choice of background music ranging from Jacques Brel to Luis Armstrong.

However the star of the show is the food and rightly so, its pointless expounding on the cooking and flavours because we all have our own preferences but I personally have not eaten better food anywhere and this includes visits to El Bulli, Tragaluz and many others.   

regards

potes

Offline Markus

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 19:27 PM »
Sounds good... but I'm interested in hearing where you stayed in Somiedo?

-Markus

Offline potes

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 10:46 AM »
Hi Markus

I stayed in the town of Pola de Somiedo, its an excellent base for exploring the surrounding area and has just about every level of hotel/Guesthouse that one could require. There's also a very good campsite that's centrally located within the town which i am going to tryout later this year.

regards