Iberianature Forum

My new web site up for public scrutiny - and criticism!

• 35 Replies

Simon

« on: June 08, 2008, 22:01 PM »
Hello Iberianauts everywhere,

What's being occupying what I still optimistically refer to as my mind has been a complete update, upgrade and general spit 'n' polish of my web site :dancing:

But as usual I'm dead nervous that it's complete rubbish, so I'd reeeeeally appreciate any comments or criticism, even if it's negative.

I have to point out that there's no technical wizardry involved - in fact I have purposely done the opposite, what I aim for is that it should have the look and feel of a real book.

I'm still grateful to everyone who persevered with my last feeble effort. And I'm also writing this to make a very public 'Thank you!' to Nick for his invaluable help and advice, not to mention almost endless patience! I've also had offers of help from Clive, and I've tried to take on board the very useful critique he made last time; but as it turned out I didn't need to turn in this direction - at least this time around :technodevil:

Thanks in advance to all the excellent Forummers, Shroomies, et al

Regs

Simon

PS it's at the bottom of the post!  :biggrin:

PPS there's still work to do preparing PDF downloads of some of my print guides and I have yet to upload full sized images of the 'Gallery' - the fact is I've just done Round 1 of the Index and my head's just about had enough!

PPPS even though the text content may look familiar there have actually been some substancial revisions and re-writes, there are also a lot more links within the text and Round 2 of the Index will include a lot of other links!

PPPPS (!) Yes I know the 'Home' and 'Welcome' pages are the same - it comes with the 'Theme' and there doesn't seems to be anything I can do about it  :banghead:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 03:07 AM by Simon »

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 22:35 PM »
Very impressive Simon.
Is that you and Polly at the bottom of the gallery ?

Simon

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 03:10 AM »
Thanks Tony, that was quick!

No, that's not Me and Polly. It is a pair of 'mourners' at the 'funeral' of King Carnestoltes and his consort, La Reina Concubina (Queen of the Whores) on the last nigt of this year's Carnaval here in TGN.  :dancing: and  :technodevil:

One of the things that'¡s delayed me getting the full size imges up is devising a way of adding captions!  :banghead:

Cheers!

Simon

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 08:49 AM »
And there me thinking that Las Reinas Concubinas were those girls who stood by the roundabout at Reus Airport and on the N340 !!
 ???

Simon

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 09:15 AM »
Well, maybe they're the Prinesas Concubinas!

Last year we collected an old friend at Reus, she said, "Well I wouldn't let my daughter go out like that, even if it is mid afternoon!" The Brits abroad, eh!  :technodevil:

Tony, back on topic  :angel:, I rememeber you saying you have trouble with slow connectivity to the 'net; so how does the site work for you? It always used to p*** me off using the modem that so many sites were heavy to use, and I've tried to avoid this happening by following Clive's advice about file sizes for graphics, etc.

Ta

Simon

PS After the first bit of this post I think I'd better not ask, "How was it for you?" :technodevil:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 09:17 AM by Simon »

Offline potes

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 14:27 PM »
Hello Simon

I have attempted to view the new site several times using the link located here at the forum and via Goggle however the page will not display and after a wait of about 2 minutes the standard internet explorer error message diplays instead.

I am using dial up at  47Kbps   

regards

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 14:30 PM »
Greetings Simon (and Polly)  :clapping: ,
Just popped in to have a butcher's and am pleased to say that it stands up very well to Technopat's scrutiny - and as y'all know, yours truly is far more pejiguero (En. anyone?) than the public-at-large.  :technodevil:

True to character, I went off to the eating & drinking bit first - wise choice, 'cos it gives an excellent overview of the topic, but a sixth sense then took me over to your nice summing up, which was a pleasure to read. Will peruse the rest at my leisure later. But not a single typo to report so far  :'(

Best-of-luck regs.,
Technopat

Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 15:48 PM »
Hi Simon, I frustratingly had the same problem as potes even with a faster connection so went to Firefox and it worked. I like the papery feel of the background and was delighted to find a couple of spelling/word mistakes. Not telling though as it makes it somehow more human  8)
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Simon

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 17:31 PM »
Hello all, and thank you for your help/perseverance!

To Lisa and potes; I really appreciate your comments although I'm not sure if there's anything I can do about them:

Lisa; I moved over to Firefox a year or so ago as I found that Explorer didn't in fact work with anything much, especially my bank account!

Potes; is this the same issue? Are you using a browser that doesn't deliver the goods? As above, it may be that now is the time to change. But I'm listening to your comments about speed - I've tried both Explorer and Safari and, yes they are slow and have some odd non-links that don't understand (not that that means much) but as I say above, I gave up on both as they don't seem to work with anything much!

I really do appreciate your time and effort with this!!!

Thanks to everyone!  :sign:

Simon

PS Technopat: I corrected my original spelling of 'deliver' from "delover!" Would Mrs TP have anything to say about this???  :technodevil:

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 17:47 PM »
Hi Simon
My connection to your site also times out using Explorer anf Firefox, Connection Speed 2Gb,
Regards
Dave
PS I used to be able to get the connection

Simon

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 17:56 PM »
Thanx Dave,

thnat's a little worrying!

Maybe I'll have to talk to Clibe after all!

Cheers

Simon

Simon

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 17:57 PM »
Sorry Clibe, Oops, sorry Clive!

Simes

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 19:14 PM »
Hi Simon
I was using IE with my Telesky DSL speed-up sysstem, and had no problems at all.  It was really quick.
Tony

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 20:35 PM »
Actually i'm known as Cleebay here in these parts... :)

typo on the first page

These become more detailed as our Sections become more specific; for example, the link to ‘Parc Natural d’Alt Pirineau’ in ‘The Area’ is to the local Tourist Board’s site, whereas the ’same’ link in ‘Nature and Wildlife’ is to the of the Environment Department’s homepage which is much more detailed. NB links to sites that are only available in the local languages are marked ‘Sp.’ and ‘Cat.’

I don't think the explorer errors are explorer errors.... I think that they are Internet Provider errors (IP)... Lisa has had problems before here at the forum and has had to switch to FireFox to upload images... Potes is in the same geographic area so it makes sense he is within the same IP... Dave not to sure about but i bet its the same provider or it went through the dodgy IP...

If anyone has errors its no good saying "internet explorer didn't work" need to know version at the least...

I have tested with Opera, firefox, ie6 and ie7 with no problems....

Be careful Simon... Wordpress is addictive as Nick will tell you...  :)

Well done....

Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Simon

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 20:55 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for that Clive (I like Cleebay  :) - how do you think folks manage Polly?)

I have come across a similar if not the same issue with documents in translation on Spanish or Catalan servers: words with accent, especially Catalan with the grace accent, eg. 'à' and and the umlaut, i.e. 'ü', get picked up in English as all sorts of gobbledygook! I think maybe English translators using UK English keyboards are entering code directly into Spanish/Catalan 'speaking' servers; that may account for Dave's problem as I recall he uses an English keyboard. Of course if you have a Mac there's no problem  :technodevil: :technodevil: :technodevil:

I'm not at all unsympathetic to 'Explorer' issues, even if it's 'explorer' with a little 'E'; I get fed up with having to endlessly upgrade versions - feeling that each time brings my precious Mac closer to obsolescence. 'Fortunately' my flat was struck by lightening last year which melted the modem, so I 'had' to have a system upgrade, plus Gigs of extra memory to take the latest OS version. Well, the insurance paid for part of it at least, but I hope to stick to my machine for at least a few more years!

I know what you mean about Wordpress, Polly has become a bit of a widow these last few weeks! I'm off camping on Wednesday and, true to Grazalema summit form, it looks like cold wind and freezing rain! :dancing:

I really do appreciate your effort on this, and indeed that of everyone else on the IbNat Forum :sign:

Simes

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 21:09 PM »
Whilst your site resides in the iframe at .tk you will find it very hard to get your search rankings increased... It really is time that you get your very own domain name and get it hosted... The content of the site is of such a standard that it is obligatory really.... I know a bloke what does it really cheap :)

As for explorer.... 75 percent of traffic to Wildside Holidays is from explorer browsers... I use FF but my customers don't so my site has to be ie friendly....
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 21:12 PM by Clive »
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline nick

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
    • Iberianature
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 23:00 PM »
I mnetioned that bloke too
Nick
http://iberianature.com/barcelona/history-of-barcelona/spanish-civil-war-tour-in-barcelona/
Spanish Civil War Tours in Barcelona
http://www.iberianature.com/
A guide to the environment, climate, wildlife, & nature of Spain
The Amazon/Forum Bookshop - lend us a hand
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/shop/index.htm
And also now The Natural History of Britain
http://iberianature.com/brita

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 23:45 PM »
Hi Simon,

I'm looking forward to seeing your new site, but no luck so far on Firefox version 2.0.0.14, Camino 1.6.1, Safari 2.0.4, or Explorer 5.2.3.

Simon

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 06:51 AM »
Hi All.

Lucy, I'm OK on FF 1.5.0.3, which is what I use by default (looks like I need to upgrade!) and also fine of Explorer 5.2.3 and Safari 2.0.4!

So try the original wordpress: http://casarafela.wordpress.com/

Hope it works ths time!!!

I think I'll have to have a word with that bloke after all!

Simon

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 08:58 AM »
Excellent Simon.  You give a real sense of place, and tons of interesting information, which I shall be checking out later.  Layout is very comfortable to read. (As a text corrector, can never resist pointing out a typo - in Travel, the caption to the photo of train.)