Iberianature Forum

Falconry as a tool

• 7 Replies

Offline arvak

« on: June 09, 2008, 00:48 AM »
Hello to all

I didn't found topics about this (may be i didn't search well?) and I'd like to tell how did my interest in birds clinic begun.

During my first year of vet studies i met a group of friends that introduced me in the falconry world and i learned all what i could about it since the middle age to our days.

I learnt how to make the tools, gloves,hoods,etc, and how to train a bird of prey for hunting (even though i never hunted with them).

I thought that many of the falconry techniques could be used to rehabilitate damaged bodies to prepare them for freedom.

Two years later i found a poor kestrel in the hands of what we call "pajarero", with signs of nutritional disorder (he has been fed with chopped ) . I made him an offer and i brought the kestrel to my home.

At first he couldn't stand up but he still had his wild character so the main thing was to be carefull to keep this wilderness

I used the same techniques that the falconers do to make stronger his legs and to show him to fly again but i respected the independence of the bird that needn't to be my friend for feeding himself in the nature.

The kestrel was about 4 months in a room without human contact getting stronger and changing the wings.

The day that i left him flying free in Miraflores was one of the most exciting I've ever lived. During twenty minutes more or less we followed him but we lost him in Manzanares way.

Ten years later i begun to work using this techniques to reintroduce many birds to the nature.

I don't know if this is the correct place for this topic (i chose it because falconry is a way of hunting).

Rgs. Arvak

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 12:57 PM »
Greetings Arvak,
Amazing story! Thanx for sharing it with us - I'm sure Clive will be over here like a shot (Sp. anyone?) when he gets wind of it (Sp. anyone?)  :dancing:
Just one or two (silly) questions: with modern chips or whatever other tracking systems available (?) nowadays, would it be possible to implant such a device rather than ringing it? Would that limit the trafficking in these birds (if such trafficking exists)?

Regs.,
Technopat
PS.
Arvak's "chopped" is something similiar, and equally disgusting, to what we all know - and hate - as spam  >:D - but not sure if it's exactly the same or just close enough

P*S.
With the selfless aim of raising the number of iberianatureforumers belonging to the Madrid Fraction, am in high-level talks with a colleague of yours with a view to convincing him that your (plural) level English is more than adequate for participating actively here at the forum  :dancing:
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline arvak

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 14:43 PM »
Thanks Technopat

There are many techniques to follow a bird as you know, but the teletracking machines are so expensive or so big for that kind of birds.

In fact, one of my jobs for the "Consejería de Medio Ambiente" was to go with the forest guards to take blood samples of every birds of prey that had been birth in captivity In Madrid to make DNA studies and find out the pirates. Other vets were looking after the falcon's nests and climb the walls to take the blood samples. The result is that today The Consejería has a DNA collection and is able to detect if one bird has been stolen of the nest. Unfortunately the last year a guard told me that there was no money to make the watching of the nests this spring.

As you probably notice, everytime that i participate in a topic i have in my hand the "Webster's Desk Dictionary of the English language" (Je Je..),please, don't hessitate in correcting my expresions.

Arvak

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 17:50 PM »
Hi Arvak
I wish my written Spanish was a tenth as good as yours, just one thing use finance instead of make in your sentence there was no money to make the watching of the nests this spring. Other than that everything is perfectly understandable
Regards
Dave

Offline arvak

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 00:03 AM »
Thanks Dave,

i know that many times i loose part of the sense of what i read, and i need to look around the context of the sentence. This is particularly difficult when I'm writing, specially when I'm trying to explain senses.

By the way, the story of this kestrel continues with the story of other birds that came to me the next years. I tried seriously to find out the joints between falconry and the rehabilitation techniques of wild birds but in the circles i was working it wasn't politically correct(?) to think about falconry as something usefull to our purposes. I don't like "ultras" and it became an uncomfortable situation where i was only a vet (who was supposed to take care of the body's health) and not a phisyo. Ten years after it's not a pleassure for me to admit that i gave up.

Any way , not many people can say that a Bubo bubo, stryx aluco, Otus scops, a kestrel or a Buteo buteo that had been surged by oneself are flying and hunting free in the nature.
("Mereció la pena")

Rgs. Arvak

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 10:06 AM »
Greetings Arvak,
Not many people, indeed!  :clapping:
How about It was well worth it! for Mereció la pena ?
Regs.,
Technopat
PS:
I love the typo (phisyo) - is it for psychologist, psycopath or physiologist?  :dancing:
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline arvak

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 10:49 AM »
Hi Technopat and all

I called "physios" to the trainers of the birds the weeks before the reintroduction in the wilderness. The techniques they used where not bad (commonly they tie some strings to their legs and shout to make the birds get away making muscle efforts). I only tried to improve the techniques mixing them with falconry knowledge (or just to study in this way).
Obviously i have no answers for everything but we need to open our minds.

Rgs. Arvak

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 01:06 AM »
Greetings All,
Just a quick update on the 2010 edition of UNESCO 2010 List of Intangible Cultural Heritage in Need of Urgent Safeguarding which now includes falconry among its intangibles. Spain, apart from its outstanding success at this year's edition, with nominations for flamenco, castells and the chant of the Sybil in Mallorca, also shared, along with several other countries, the credit for maintaining the Mediterranean diet and, to get this thing back on-topic, falconry:UNESCO: Falconry, a living human heritage

I-have-it-on-good-authority-that-my-Espe-is-preparing-the-candidature-for-bullfighting-for-next-year's-edition-remember-you-read-it-here-first regs.,
Technopat