Iberianature Forum

Asio otus

• 4 Replies

Offline arvak

« on: June 10, 2008, 13:04 PM »
Someone told me when i was a student that if the "Buho chico" (Asio otus) would have the size of the "buho real" (Bubo bubo) ,it would be impossible for us to treat him because he is so brave, quickly and aggressive.

This was the character of my dog , a mix of fox terrier that was my college during 18,5 years. He was very brave and only accept orders from me.

We went many times to the country and he learnt to follow the signs to guide me to many birds of prey nests. When he found a nest he stopped and sat down waiting for me to have a look without disturbing the birds.

The last three years of his life he was absolutely blind but noone would have said that. We used to go for a walk every night and he marked always the same six trees in a forest near my home.

The night he died i went with my other female dog for a walk as usual and i found an Asio otus looking at me in the first tree that "seis" (the name of mi dog) used to mark.
I was a minute watching him while he was watching me with his big eyes and large ears. Suddenly he flow to the next tree and then to the next marking the same trees that "seis" used to mark every night. Then he flow and disappeared of my view. I understood and said good bye.

Fiction? I lived it...

Rgs Arvak

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 15:17 PM »
Well, it doesn't say "Published" Literature about Iberia  8)
Spooky Arvak.
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 20:41 PM »
What a lovely story, perfectly told.

Simon

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 09:23 AM »
Yes Arvak, this is a lovely story. I can believe it totally as animals do have another sense, in my opinion.

Simon

Offline judith

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 11:47 AM »
Well told Arvak, it brought a lump to my throat and goose-pimples to my arms!