The Grazalema Guide

• 36 Replies

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« on: July 06, 2008, 08:42 AM »
Well, it still has a long way to go but the Grazalema Guide web site is now up and running....

It is designed as an information guide for the Sierra de Grazalema area including the Sierra de las Nieves and los Alcornocales natural parks and hopefully will appeal to both visitors to the area and residents... Lots of plans for the future include a complete events guide in a kind of "what's on" format, a local business guide and of course the best places to stay and eat will be advertising on the pages.

There will be in depth info pages on every village in the area and details on all the nature areas in between...

The core of the site is based around a few blogs giving varied and detailed content to the site which include a nature blog, a book review blog, a cycling blog, an events blog and a walking blog. I am hoping to enlist a chef so we can have a food blog as well so that we can promote local recipes, and organic foodstuffs..

The site is built around the Joomla! content management system which gives huge flexibility when it comes to advertising and layout of articles... I have chosen to stay with the standard template but have changed a few minor details.. I am sure the site will evolve as time goes by and any comments are welcome.......

www.grazalemaguide.com

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 09:54 AM »
Hi Clive and Sue,

Congratulations!  You must have been working incredibly hard, and the result is already very impressive. After a quick scout around, top marks for clarity - the vast amount of information is wonderfully accesible, and clearly organised. You make it look easy.  I like the picture of Sue with her camera!  Will be back with more comments after a further read.

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 07:47 AM »
Congratulations on the birth of The Grazalema Guide Sue and Clive  :clapping:
I ditto Lucy and am having a study  :booklook:
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 12:23 PM »
Greetings Sue and Clive,
Just had a quick butcher's at yer Grazalema Guide - great stuff!  :clapping:
The http://www.grazalemaguide.com/land-and-garden/62-land-and-garden/108-water-wise-gardening-in-western-andalucia was very interesting & look forward to the recipes and organic foodstuffs...

Wii-check-it-out-some-more regs.,
Technopat

Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 12:37 PM »
PS.
The Montpellier snake/chick-hen (etymology anyone? :technodevil: ) article (http://www.grazalemaguide.com/nature-news/34-general-nature/86-the-perils-of-owning-chickens - and good internal link to info on M. snake) is amazing - given the size of him/her/it I'm not surprised that you both (?) stayed on the other side of the fence!

Regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 19:21 PM »
I like that story too - it's got 3 great elements: sweet defenceless chicks, a humungous snake, and a bizarre fungus (called "Witch's vomit" in Catalan: Gita de bruixa).

ps. My partner complemented the site for its "clean layout". 

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 20:12 PM »
Thank you all for the kind comments... Still a long way to go but we will get there

Lucy, you may appreciate my latest article and reason for not being at work this morning.... :)

http://www.grazalemaguide.com/exploring-the-sierras/42-general-observations-from-the-sierras/110-i-finally-did-it

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline John C

• Birding in Cadiz Province
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 22:10 PM »
Superbly done!  I look forward to new instalments,

Congratulations,  John

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 23:39 PM »
Greetings Clive,
Wot! No helmet?
Impressive legs feat!
Regs.,
Technopat
PS.
Don't let that other guy get you down - he doesn't get to take in the scenery and I'm sure he's been doing that same route (plus 50-odd km more ) every day for the last 5 years. And he doesn't weigh himself down with beers and cameras...

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 08:20 AM »
Well done Clive!  :clapping:  I always think that the more you suffer on the way up, the more thrilling it is to reach the top. 

What's missing from the article is a photo of you and the bike next to the Puerto de las Palomas sign.  You'll have to go back up!

Simon

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 13:24 PM »
Congratulations Clive and Sue on a lovely web site!

And I've just read about your epic journey to the Puerta de las Palomas. For anyone who has never been there (I was lucky enough to go there with Sue at the Grazalema summit - in the car though!) it's an amazing site and certainly a feat for someone of, how shall we put this, towards the mellow period of life :technodevil:

One technical question: I've been working with Wordpress and found that adding pictures to the text boxes is really cumbersome, as the wraparound isn't very good and you can't get round it using tables, as I would do in MS Word for example. Looking at some of the blogs I see some tell tale signs that Joomla has the same or similar problem (NB I think only people who are aware of  this issue would notice, to the casual reader I think it looks absolutely fine!)

Regs

Simon

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 13:51 PM »
....... And he doesn't weigh himself down with beers and cameras...

You sure?
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 14:51 PM »
Ah.... But that's not me... This guy is a professional as can be seen from the uniform....

It is however, Ashley, one of the partners in the Grazalema Guide project along with Sue, me and Ashley's wife Claire...

Simon, the issue with the images is down to user error in some cases but also the way different browsers render web pages... The pages are built with a WYSIWYG editor but in some cases you need to put a "not" in front of the wyzzywig

Offline nick

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
    • Iberianature
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 10:51 AM »
Very impressed Clive and Sue
Nick
http://iberianature.com/barcelona/history-of-barcelona/spanish-civil-war-tour-in-barcelona/
Spanish Civil War Tours in Barcelona
http://www.iberianature.com/
A guide to the environment, climate, wildlife, & nature of Spain
The Amazon/Forum Bookshop - lend us a hand
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/shop/index.htm
And also now The Natural History of Britain
http://iberianature.com/brita

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008, 20:11 PM »
Hi all

Sue just wrote a lovely article about The Sierra de Grazalema in August
http://www.grazalemaguide.com/nature-news/34-general-nature/148-sierra-de-grazalema-in-august.html

Whilst Ashley (aka "bikerboy") who is mad about mountains and bonkers about bikes has announced his Andalucian Cycling Experience "Puerto de las Palomas Challenge"
http://www.grazalemaguide.com/cycling-and-mountain-biking-news/40-road-cycling/147-the-andalucian-cycling-experience-las-palomas-challenge.html

In a mad moment of support I also have announced that whilst Ashley is cycling the 40KM route as many times as possible I will be walking it once!

Offline judith

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008, 21:21 PM »
How the h*** do you find the time to do everything?
Have just found your website from the link and think it is excellent! By the way, the garlic as a natural insecticide....when you say 10 cloves, do you mean the individual "teeth" or the whole head? Will def. try that next year! Sue's report was beautiful! Can't wait until the pups are old enough (i.e. well-behaved enough) to visit the area.
Well done!

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 22:22 PM »
Hi Judith,
glad that you enjoyed my "Sierra de Grazalema in August"

the garlic recipe against bugs that you found on our site uses individual crushed cloves / teeth

Trouble is that while we are indoors on the computers the land turns into a jungle   :speechless:
regards,
Sue
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com

Offline judith

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 12:51 PM »
Thanks Sue!
Know the "jungle" feeling, we seem to be constantly clearing the same sites! However, the wildflower meadows should be pretty spectacular in spring we hope!

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 18:42 PM »
Hi all

Steve, AKA Aparthenope the dragonfly expert here at the forum came for a visit to Grazalema with Adam aged 10 and his wife Lynn. He thought it was going to be gentle streams and rippling pools all the time but we had a treat in store to bring him back from daydreaming about lesser emperors and desert darters...

Read his report

Not just the vultures of Garganta Verde but down to the pink and green cave as well!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 18:44 PM by Clive »

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 21:46 PM »
The Grazalema Guide is developing very well, Sue has just written some articles on Dolmens, wildflowers and the dreaded processionary caterpillar

All visible on the home page at www.grazalemaguide.com