Iberianature Forum

preparing and uploading images

• 10 Replies

Offline glennie

« on: July 07, 2008, 22:23 PM »
Looks like I need to ask more questions:

What software (freeware?) do you use for cropping? Picasa doesn't seem to offer me many options.

G

Will practise in a reply to this post.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 22:55 PM »
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline glennie

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 15:47 PM »

The reason for having it direct onto the forum is its much easier and quicker to open!
(Having prepared your picture by cropping, changing the resolution to 72 and size to around 500 pixels wide...maybe store in a separate folder named "saved for web images"... click on additional options at  bottom left of reply box, browse for your image off your desktop...click on chosen image...press open and Bob's your uncle!!)

:clapping:

Here's the experiment, with cropping and re-sizing done.
I hoped.... ???
After hitting 'open' and getting the name of the folder name visible in the Attach: C\... box, how do you get it up onto the post?
Oh ... it looks like I have.  :) :clapping:

So thanks Sue, and I'll try to stick with this method from now on.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 15:56 PM by glennie »

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 23:19 PM »

Well done Glennie, that is so much easier for those of us with a slow connection  :biggrin:

(May get you to reduce the brightness next  8) )
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com

Offline glennie

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 17:59 PM »
Great difficulties uploading photos onto the Gallery yesterday - almost enough to put me off doing it again.

Page constantly grinding to a halt during uploading process.

Had to constantly reduce file size to get photos to upload. But have now seen photos which are far larger than mine ever were.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it a server problem?

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 19:14 PM »
Hi Glennie, Don't give up! You wouldn't say that to your students would you :)

I would say that file size is causing this problem for you... The maximum file size is 200K but for a 500 pixel width image you should be able to get it down to less than 50K easily and still keep a good image... Look at the last four uploaded at the bottom of the home page .. for example Monicas snake and click it... Then right click the full image and click on properties... You will see her image is 500 px wide and only 30k ish

(Maximum width for an image is 800 pixels) An image 800 by 500 can be saved to less than 100K

I use an antiquated version of photoshop elements to do this (version 2.0) but there are a lot of scripts out there for web image work..

There are no errors on the server and the forum's error log has nothing in it relating to your image uploads.. (It's mostly failed logins with wrong passwords) :)

Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline glennie

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 22:00 PM »
...you should be able to get it down to less than 50K easily and still keep a good image... Look at the last four uploaded at the bottom of the home page .. for example Monicas snake and click it... Then right click the full image and click on properties... You will see her image is 500 px wide and only 30k ish

Monica's seems to be 67.72kb.

But in any case, I take your point.
Question is, how do you 'get it down'? How do you reduce the 'kb'? By cropping?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 22:02 PM by glennie »

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 22:17 PM »
Glennie, I just use microsoft photo editor. Click on image at the top, resize, and save as. You don't have one of those mac things do you? What size are your photos set to on the camera?
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline glennie

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 22:37 PM »
I use Paint.net. Has all the right bells and whistles as far as I can see. But if I set at 72 pixels and 500 wide, that often produces a photo that still won't upload to the Gallery. So I just start cropping or reducing width to reduce kb till the forum will accept it.

But it's a bit crude and I lose pic quality. (Compare Gallery photo with the one I just sent you in email.)

No idea about camera settings...just use the Auto normally.

Offline Bob M

• Teflpedia
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 22:39 PM »
I must admit that I had a bit of a problem getting a good quality JPG at that file size. I finally used a .gif and that worked ok.  But I see other JPGs so I must have missed something.

Offline glennie

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 22:40 PM »
Will try with Lisa's settings for her 'Barefoot' photo next time.