Iberianature Forum

Catalonia in Pictures

• 6 Replies

Simon

« on: July 15, 2008, 11:59 AM »
The Generalitat de Catalunya has published a new branch of its web page giving some excellent multimedia images of all aspects of Catalonia, including sections on nature, heritage and individual towns and villages among other themes.

The images that I've checked out are first rate, not surprising given the sponsors, but I found the site itself a little frustrating at first as the navigation is a little too subtle and 'clever' for my taste! For instance there's no way to get back from the videos to the menu, and if you go back through your navigator you go the referring site, e.g. your Google search or whatever. Furthermore, if you've selected one of the range of galleries you have to click over the 'CliCat' logo to go back to the home page. :noidea:

The keyword search isn't very good either. This is purely because many images have insufficient keywords attached to them, e.g. 'Aigüestortes'  only appears under its co-initial name, Sant Maurici, and some images have no keywords at all! :speechless:

This is a real shame as the images themselves are great, and would be good to help plan a holiday, (I've used a link in my homepage as there is a wonderful one-minute video of our Comarca, Pallars Jussà, on it, but yet again, I can't do a direct link to this; I have to send users to the CliCat homepage and tell them what to search for. :banghead:

Anyway, no beefing, after all it is free! :angel:

Here's the page: http://www.gencat.cat/clicat/

Simon

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 13:43 PM »
Hi Simon,

There certainly are some excellent images on there but the whole site is let down by many factors... I don't know what this obsession with flash websites is about here in Spain. They take an age to load and navigation is very poor.

If you switch to the html version using the link at the bottom you will be able to hyper link from your website to the parts you want to but the html version of the site has no search system at all

Images of plants are pretty pictures with little or no information... Basic scientific name of a plant should be obligatory really... Images sizes are too large as well making the pages load very slow... (for me at least)

I see your point that it is "free" but you can bet some web designer has earned a lot of cash creating this site... Presumably tax payers money....

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Simon

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 13:51 PM »
Hi Clive,

I couldn't agree with you more on all points! You're catching me on one of my cynical days but in Catalonia at least there is a certain air of 'image-over-content' about a lot of government departments! Or as we used to say in Brighton, 'Queen Anne front, Mary-Anne back!'  :technodevil:

Thanks for the tip about making the hyperlink I'll try it now!

Regs

Simon

PS A Board specifically for recommending websites is such a good idea, we all do it often enough! :sign:

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 15:02 PM »
Hi Simon
And as my dad used to say ´fancy hat and no knickers
Regards
Dave

Simon

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 15:15 PM »
Hi Dave,

A related expression, also from Brighton, 'Fur coat and no knickers!'  :dancing:

ha ha

Simon

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 16:15 PM »
Greetings All,
As of beginning of this year - or was it b. of last? - all public administration websites in Spain are supposed to be fully accessible (W3C-WAI compliant) - flash is not, although there is apparently a botch-job flash version that is more-or-less accessible. i hope all the websites hosted here are :angel: - it's called having a competitive edge.
Regs.,
Technopat
Ps.
Dave's dad and Simon's Brighton brought to mind that great sketch by I forget whom 'bout Norwich... :technodevil:
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Simon

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 16:17 PM »
Wasn't that Little Orphan Boy's uncle - now wh the heck was that!

Simon