Iberianature Forum

Wot? Birding, rafting and trekking wiv the whole family?

• 6 Replies

Offline Steve West

« on: July 18, 2008, 12:44 PM »
Hi all

Those of you who attempt to combine nature and kids on holidays or short trips should have a look at the most recent blog entry on the BirdingInSpain.com blog:

http://www.BirdingInSpain.com/blog

If you have other ideas or experiences why not share them with us all here?

Steve
Birds and Birding Tours in north-east Spain
www.birdinginspain.com

My latest book. Part travelogue, part memoir, part ornithology, Steve West’s engaging story of a young man seeking adventure and enlightenment in a foreign land
www.flyingoverthepyrenees.info

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 14:24 PM »
Hi Steve,

I moved your post here to the web site update board......

Your web log site is excellent.... Just add a post to this topic any time you want to remind people to have a look at it....

Any chance of posting individual reviews and links about the places you mention over in the reviews board?

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 21:54 PM »
Being a dab-hand at that kind of dodge myself ("Let's go looking for Wallcreepers Alpine newts!"), I scrolled on down and found the brilliant quizzes. Not doing too badly on the beginner's mountain birds, I followed that by dive-bombing straight into the expert orchids  :)
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Steve West

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 20:21 PM »
Hi Steve,

I moved your post here to the web site update board......

Your web log site is excellent.... Just add a post to this topic any time you want to remind people to have a look at it....

Any chance of posting individual reviews and links about the places you mention over in the reviews board?

Clive

Hello Clive

I'm sure there is, but I'm a bit slow with these technical terms and don't quite get what you mean. Please indulge me and explain a little more!

Steve
www.birdinginspain.com

My latest book. Part travelogue, part memoir, part ornithology, Steve West’s engaging story of a young man seeking adventure and enlightenment in a foreign land

Offline John C

• Birding in Cadiz Province
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 19:41 PM »
Nice blog Steve. 

However, being the grumpy old so-and-so that I am, I would warn any holidaying visitors to Spain to check their insurance carefully before taking part in rafting etc.  Some travel insurance policies specifically exlude such activities,

John 

Offline Steve West

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 13:19 PM »
Nice blog Steve. 

However, being the grumpy old so-and-so that I am, I would warn any holidaying visitors to Spain to check their insurance carefully before taking part in rafting etc.  Some travel insurance policies specifically exlude such activities,

John 

Hello John

I agree it's worth telling people to check their insurance policies just in case, John. However, I never once had the feeling that I or my children were in danger at any time. Except perhaps on the drive up, as always one has to keep an eye on the road and other drivers. Yeti Emotions came across as knowledgeable, responsible and very safety aware. Accidents happen, as they say, but even if my insurance policy didn't cover such an activity I personally would have no doubts about going ahead and doing it. It was a great experience that the whole family enjoyed.

Steve
www.birdinginspain.com

Offline John C

• Birding in Cadiz Province
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 19:03 PM »
Such activities are inherently dangerous and can never be fully under control no matter how good or expert the practicioners may be.  Naturally we can't (and shouldn't) live our lives wrapped in cotton wool and I'm sure that families/kids may get a lot out of it - but I think it prudent to ensure you're fully covered against the worst-case-scenario,

John