Iberianature Forum

Big Problems with iPhoto (MacIntosh people)

• 8 Replies

Simon

« on: August 04, 2008, 08:51 AM »
Hi, It's me again with yet another disaster!

I followed the instructions for making a new iPhoto (v.2.0.1) Library, i.e. :
To create a new photo library:
1   Quit iPhoto.
2   Rename your current Photo Library folder in the Finder or move it to a new location on your hard disk.
3   Open iPhoto.
4   Click Create Library.
5   Type a name and choose a location for your new photo library.
6   Click Save.
Your new, empty photo library appears in the iPhoto viewing area.

Then followed the rest:
To open another photo library:
1   Quit iPhoto.
2   Rename your current Photo Library folder in the Finder or move it to a new location on your hard disk.
3   Open iPhoto.
4   Click Find Library.
5   Choose the library you want to display.
6   Click Open.
The library appears in the iPhoto viewing area.

But the trouble is

a) there's no "Find Library" anywhere for me to click on
b) I've moved the original back to the Pictures folder but that doesn't appear either.

Then I looked through Help for a solution and found this:
IMPORTANT: If you move, delete, rename, or otherwise tamper with files or folders in the iPhoto Library folder, you may be unable to see your pictures in iPhoto
Which wasn't given in either of the first two Help boxes.

I have my images safe and sound, including the original Images folder backed up on a separate hard disk, so I suppose copying the original Pictures folder entire is an option. But I' now so nervous I could do with a little help!

Thanks

Simon

PS In fact I'm getting pretty pissed off with iPhoto generally, so is there any althernative handy way to import and manage images that anyone could recommend?

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 09:03 AM »
Hi Simon,
My partner hates iphoto too, and is always suggesting allternatives - which I can't remember at the moment!  I'll ask him tonight.

Simon

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 09:10 AM »
Thanks Lucy!

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 08:55 AM »
Hi Simon,

Advice from the horse's mouth:

The problem is finding a free programme.  One possibility is to download Xnview for Windows (apparently the mac version is difficult to use!) and also download a program called Darwine, which is 
for installing windows programs on Macs.  If that's difficult, and you have skype, Marcus said he'd guide you through it.

Paying alternatives are Photoshop elements, which apparantly is very easy to use and has much more sophisticated 
options but is still very easy to use just to do all the basic things.  Plus a big advantage, if you want to get real use out of the program, is that you can buy manuals for 
it.  There's a Photoshop elements 6 for dummies on Amazon.

Another program that people mention is Lightroom.  It has a lovely interface and seems easy to use but again you would have to pay.

I guess it depends on how fed up you are of iphoto!

Simon

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 09:09 AM »
Hi Lucy,

Thanks for all this. In fact i rather suspect that I can create new a new library folder by reimporting the original, or, and I'm putting this off, copy all my images to a memory stick and import them as if they were new, giving me an opportunity to organise them better anyway  :speechless:

Meanwhile I use Photoshop for working with the the images themsleves (within my very limited capacity!!!) but I'm thinking of going over to GIMP before I spend too much time learning about photoshop upgrades, i.e. more or less starting all over again. (I've been talking about this with pault on another post which I now cannot find :banghead:) and I seem to need this Darwin thing for that too.

Truth to tell I'm up to my neck trying to write a book to a tight deadlne, so the last thing I needed was to shatter the set-up I already had!!1 :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

I'd be very gratefull to speak to your partner via Skye, I'll send yo  PM with my number

Ciao!

Simon

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 09:42 AM »
He'll be in touch!

I recently shifted lots of photos from the iphoto library onto an external hard disk.  They are all lying there, but at least they are organised in folders according to year, and within those, according to month.  My mission this summer (probably mission impossible) is to organise them all into new folders - by date, name, or subject, whatever, throwing away lots in the process, and then just use Preview to see them.  the idea is to keep just a year's worth of photos on the Mac at any time.  I was finding it took forever for iphoto to open, and the space on the hard disk was being eaten up at a frightening pace!  I discovered each batch of images you import creates a parallel folder called "Originals".  So that's how the programme allows you to undo your changes!  Explains why it takes up so much room though.

Simon

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 10:02 AM »
Hi Lucy,

Thanks for that!

In fact was about to start organising my work like you after my near disaster a few weeks ago! (see: http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php?topic=1721.0) so it looks like I now have no choice!

What happened just now was that Mrs S's new camera has arrived (all the way from Hong Kong!) and I wanted to set her up with a library of her own to play work with!

Be careful not to delete the thumbnails, they're used to put the images in the 'Organise' view. If they're not there IPhoto reverts to the full sized versions and really does take an age to open - guess how I know! :speechless:

Simon

Offline elvis

• Safetycat
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 23:07 PM »
I hate iPhoto so much for that reason, you can't move things!
while generally a mac person i found picasa (made by google) on pc fantastic!
They have only just brought it out for mac as a beta version, so its probably a bit buggy but worth exploring.

the problem with iPhoto is that it keeps a record of your images separately, whereas picasa will basically let you navigate around the existing folders of your computer.

http://picasa.google.com/mac/

cheers
elvina

Simon

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 04:47 AM »
Hi Elvina,

Thanks for the tip about Picasa.You won't believe this but I've simply been avoiding the whole issue all this time!

I've downloaded Picasa now and I'll start to explore it this weekend!

Regs

Simon