Iberianature Forum

Rooks in Leon

• 67 Replies

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2008, 22:40 PM »
Greetings Dave 'n' All,
B. that as it may, my opinionated humble opinion remains the same. Anyways, stop me if you've read this before, and I s'pose this is more up Tembo's street, or rather path, track or whatever it is the elephants make (Swahili anyone?), but according to the BBC, they are now teaching elephants the rudiments of photography:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7312511.stm
Regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2008, 06:43 AM »
"Bonkers idea"  :clapping: Of course I've been thinking of how the technique could be used here in Spain......no large trainable tachyderms around and can't think of anything else but surely the next step for Fapas will be webcams fixed to trees? Sorry, not a lot to do with rooks.
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2008, 18:26 PM »
Hi Everyone
Went to the `new´ rookery at Armunia/Trabajo to do a count, finally managed to get a good view, after driving around a trading estate. There are 50 nests here with all occuppied many birds sitting on the nests so I assume they have eggs/young, fairly quiet, although some nest building/ repair work was going on.
So adding this count to my previous Rookeries we have
San Martin - 235
Villadangos - 118
Parque Quevedo - 15
Trabajo/Armunia - 50
A total of 418 nests or over 800 birds, if they are succesful, we may see another enormous jump in numbers this year, and hopefully more sites.
As a footnote, I was out with my Cuñeado, last Sunday and noticed enormous numbers of Rooks in the fields, with no obvious rookery nearby. The next day i went out with my Mum, to try and find a rookery that side of the city, with no luck. as the crow flies the Armunia/Trabajo and Quevedo rookeries are not too far away, so I am assuming, until I prove otherwise, that they are foraging up to 6 kilometres away from their nests. most mornings the rooks from Quevedo fly over the terrace downriver, I assume to feed.  Luckily they hve not started taking notes about my lifestyle yet
Regards
Dave

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2008, 22:06 PM »
Greetings Dave,
Thanx for that latest update and rook count. Just hope that the local authorities, going on previous form, don't let themselves be convinced that they have rook problem and decide to cull 'em. I'm sure I've asked this before, here or elsewhere, but aren't peregrines partial to rooks, and if so, could there be a decline in predators?

Hope the local bartenders are treating you and yer Mum to some good tapas :dancing:

Rooking-forward-to-next-update regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2008, 22:03 PM »
hi Everbody
The Cronica de Leon have written this piece about the rooks of Leon.
At last someone seems interested, and all for the greater good of my Rooks
http://www.la-cronica.net/2008/07/14/comarcas/los-investigadores-estudian-el-misterio-de-las-grajas-4543.htm
regards
Dave

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2008, 10:36 AM »
Excellent news Dave. I hadn't realised that they're only found in your province and nowhere else on the Iberian peninsula  :roxysnail:
While we're on corvids, I've noticed a fairly large flock of Ravens in our area lately. They do a fly-past about the same time every day (late afternoon). I hadn't noticed them in such numbers here before.
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2008, 16:46 PM »
Greetings Dave and All,
Thanx for that, Dave. Have you thought of getting in touch with those guys and getting 'em to protect the nesting sites you monitor? Your observations might be of interest to them.
Re. could my previous question as to whether peregrines are partial to rooks and any possible decline in raptors in the region of León bear any relationship to the followng:
Se puede justificar su presencia en la capital leonesa en que “hace frío y hay ríos, pero ¿por qué en León y, por ejemplo, en Zaragoza no cría, ni tampoco en Burgos? No se sabe”, apunta Ignacio Rodríguez.

Regs.,
Technopat

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2009, 13:25 PM »
Hi All
An update. last weekend I discovered 2 new Rookeries, one with 35 nests at Villaobispo near Leon and another one which at present only has 5 nests, and only about four trees to nest in, this is just outside Leon, on the road to Asturias, hopefully it will increase this year , once again fortifying my belief, that the rooks are increasing significantly in numbers,
Hopefully I will do a full nest count next week of the rookeries that I have found so far.
Regards
Dave

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2009, 23:41 PM »
Greetings Dave,
Just the kind of update I like to see!
With the nip in the air/snowfalls we're all having these days I'd imagine they/you are all snowed under/in.
Regs.,
Technopat

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2009, 19:17 PM »
Hi All
The latest update on the rooks of Leon. Due to the adverse weather, I am a little late with the December count, however as there is little or no activity at any of the rookeries, we can assume that the count would have been the same in December.
San Martin del Camino - 95 nests up from the 59 counted in December 2007, despite a severe winter.
Villadangos - 20 Nests down from the 30 nests in Feb 2008
Trabajo del Camino - trees destroyed, no nests down from 20 recorded last year, a really sad lost, but not surprising considering its closeness to a trading estate
Villaobispo - New rookery only discovered late last year, 35 nests. Will be able to check regularly as it is near our Sunday watering hole
Carrefour - new Rookery 5 nests, could be a colony in the making, the area around here is always busy with foraging rooks.
Quevedo park - 12 nests, same as last year
So the total winter count is 167 nests in total, spread over a quite large area, it will be interesting to see how the number increases towards the end of next month
Please see attached maps.
regards
Dave

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2009, 19:17 PM »
More maps

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2009, 19:18 PM »
And more

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2009, 19:19 PM »
And more

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2009, 22:33 PM »
Hi Dave, thanks for these updates I find it all really interesting.... And it's good to know you are still keeping an eye on the rooks, especially after the panic last year with the tree felling....

So numbers of nests are increasing even with some of the sites down in nest numbers and one colony gone completely... It would be great to have been able to tag the ones from the industrial estate to see where they have moved on to....

Looking forward to the spring count....

By the way, is there anyone else watching and counting the rooks like you are? SEO or another NGO?
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2009, 12:45 PM »
Hi All
Going to Torre on Wednesday, in the morning, lots of activity around the nests in both Villadangos and San Martin, so will do a new nestc ount before the leaves appear. Interestingly coming back we saw large groups of Rooks leaving the rookeries and heading towards the River Orbigo, presumably to roost, I have not noticed this before, but on reflection the nest sites are always deserted in winter, but lots of Rooks around feeding in the fields, when we reached the rookeries, they were deserted, so one can only assume they work all day rebuilding their nests, and then move away to roost, I wonder why, perhaps they feel more secure in their roost, than in the rookery, anyone have an answer or a wild guess.
Regards
Dave

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2009, 13:02 PM »
Hi Everyone
Update on Rookeries
San Martin  April 24 2008 – 235 Nests March 24th 2009 – 71 nests Significant decrease
Villadangos  April 24 2008- 118 Nests. March 24th 2009 – 176 Nests Significant increase
Parque Quevedo – April 24 2008 - 15 Nests.  March 24th 2009 – Count not yet done
Trabajo/Armunia – April 24th 2008 – 50 Nests. March 24th 2009 – disappeared trees felled
Villadangos – April 24th 2008 – not on my radar March 24th 2009 – 35 Nests

A total of 281 nests or nearly 500 birds, Very significantly down from April 2008, although I have not included Quevedo park, will get there next week. I have not found any other rookeries, but they may be out there. Maria did notice rooks flying away from the Villadangos site with branches, so there may be another rookery nearby. The noise and activity at Villadangos was incredible, as you can see from the photo there is not much room left.

Regards
Dave
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 13:03 PM by Dave »

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2009, 13:36 PM »
Hi All
An interesting piece from the BBC not about Rooks in León but Rooks in general
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8181233.stm
I always knew there was a reason they are so fascinating
Regards
Dave

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2010, 18:34 PM »
The latest update on the rooks of Leon. Due to the adverse weather, I am a little late with the December count, but earlier than last year
San Martin del Camino - 95 nests up from the 59 counted in December 2007, despite a severe winter. Jan 2010 -  30 nest seems in decline at present
Villadangos - 20 Nests down from the 30 nests in Feb 2008 Jan 2010 59 nests a nice increase, despite a crane and building work right next door
Villaobispo - New rookery only discovered late last year, 35 nests. January 2010 - will update ASAP
Carrefour - new Rookery 5 nests, could be a colony in the making, the area around here is always busy with foraging rooks - Jan 2010 - no sign of any nests but lots of rooks still foraging
Quevedo park - 12 nests, same as last year Jan 2010 19 nest up from last year
So the total winter count is 108 nests in total not including Villaobispo
Regards
Dave

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2010, 12:08 PM »
Hi all
A ´new´, for me, rookery in La Lastre, a new suburb in León, with 54 nests, the building work is stopped at present, but the rooks are just outside the Guardia Civil HQ, in the top of some enormous London Planes, which have never been pruned.
The Quevedo park rookery has increased to 19 nests
The Villaobispo rookery has around 30 nests
So as it seems, every time I lose a rookery another one appears elsewhere
So in total with the last post 200+ nests
Regards
Dave

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2010, 21:05 PM »
That's good news Dave....

Is the information you have been gathering being utilised by anyone?
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey