Iberianature Forum

Sealife book needed

• 2 Replies

Offline Jill

• Jill Dickin Schinas
« on: August 30, 2008, 19:50 PM »
Hola

Can anybody recommend a really good guide - or guides - to the sealife of the Mediterranean and of the Atlantic?

We have an excellent book which is actually devoted to the sealife of Southern Africa, but which contains so much biological info that it it is useful anywhere. However, we have never come across a book which will enable us to identify / find names for the various fishes, algae, and other forms of sealife.

Roxanne has now learnt to dive (a very expensive birthday present) and having dived with her, and noted that she pays far more attention to the crevices and waving sea grass than she does to her instructor, I can see that we are about to be inundated with questions regarding all the things that she spots.

Jill

P.S. Links to websites with fish ID photos would also be much appreciated. I once came across a good one for Canary Islands fish - but I forgot to bookmark it...

Offline Jesus Contreras

• Oz Nature Wildlife
    • Oz Nature WILDLIFE
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 21:25 PM »
Hello, I am a mediterranean animal, so I only can recommend you a good book for this sea.

It is my bible for recognizing life in the sea.

FAUNA Y FLORA DEL MAR MEDITERRANEO - RUPERT RIEDL .  ED. OMEGA.

I suppose there is an edition in english.

Jesús Contreras
Almería
OZ NATURE WILDLIFE
Jesús Contreras
www.indalodeoz.com
Geographical Field Trips & Birdwatching in Almería - Spain

Offline Jill

• Jill Dickin Schinas
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 12:20 PM »
Thank-you, Jesus.
(Sorry, I can only do accents etc. when Caesar is here to remind where to find them...)

We will see if we can find a copy.

Jill