Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« on: March 28, 2007, 19:09 PM »
Hola,

Here you go all you fungus lovers.

Same rules apply as to the birds topic header.

Spanish, scientific and English common names.

Edible or not?

Funny stories and anecdotes are allowed so long as they include said species.....

And for some extra fun the tastiest recipe you can think of for each species. (if it's edible)

Clive

P.S DON'T EAT ANY OF THESE MUSHROOMS USING THE IDENTIFICATIONS HERE BECAUSE THIS IS JUST A SIMPLE GAME AND THE INFORMATION IN THIS THREAD MAY BE WRONG!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 10:15 AM by Wildside »
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline nick

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
    • Iberianature
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 19:59 PM »
fungtastic!
Nick
http://iberianature.com/barcelona/history-of-barcelona/spanish-civil-war-tour-in-barcelona/
Spanish Civil War Tours in Barcelona
http://www.iberianature.com/
A guide to the environment, climate, wildlife, & nature of Spain
The Amazon/Forum Bookshop - lend us a hand
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/shop/index.htm
And also now The Natural History of Britain
http://iberianature.com/brita

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 22:16 PM »
Greetings All,
Lost for words!
As some of you may already have noticed, being lost for words is not summat that happens often to yours truly, but the sight of all those beautiful 'shrooms has brought a tear of joy to me mince pies. Had toyed with the idea of ramblin' on about a joy to behold and so forth, but in honour of the occasion, and
in words of one syllable:
Thank you, Clive.
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Simon

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 07:14 AM »
Just give me some time Clive, I'll be back!

Simon

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 16:42 PM »
Dear All
Well I will start the ball rolling with this
No. 4 Amanita muscaria (Eng. fly Agaric) (Esp. matamoscas, falsa oronja, seta de los pitufos) Toxic

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 23:18 PM »
Dear All,
No. 1 = Amanita caesarea (Eng. Caesar's Mushroom, Royal Amanita, Aminite de César, Oronge) (Sp. Oronja, amanita de los césares) Edible

Regs.
Technopat
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 16:23 PM by Technopat »
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 23:29 PM »
Hola,

Both correct Dave and Technopat....

I think the Caesar's  mushroom is also known as "huevo del rey" Can anyone confirm this?

Any recipe's

Clive

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 00:56 AM »
Greetings Clive and Dave and All,

oronge/oronja, etc. is also ou de reig (+ oriol) in Catalan. I would hazard a guess (ou - oeuf - huevo - egg + reig - rey) that that would correspond to the name you mention - but in something as inherently risky as 'shroom identification plus the added risk of false friends, I'd rather wait 'til one of our Correspondents in Catalunya is able to confirm.

Regs.
Technopat

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 02:03 AM »
And yema de huevo in Sp.
Regs.
Technopat

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 17:11 PM »
Dear All
Another stab
No. 3 Cantharellus cibarius (Esp: rebozuelo, zizahori, cantarelo, cabrilla, rossinyol, yema de huevo, girola, duraznillo) (Eng: chanterelle, yellow chanterelle, golden chanterelle, egg mushroom, girolle, pfifferling) Edible
See the recipes on
http://www.cpros.com/~woofer/recipe1.html
If I am wrong do not use the recipes
Regards
Dave

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 22:10 PM »
Hola,

Don't use the recipes! Sorry Dave that's not right (As far as I know) Mushrooms are tricky things aren't they.....

As a small clue for number three I will say that they are a bit odd but if you find yourself in an olive grove at night without a torch you just might be able to find your way around....

Clive

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 11:50 AM »
Dear All
One more go at No. 3  One of the so called Ghost Mushrooms Omphalotus nidiformis (Eng: Jack o' the lantern) (Esp: seta de olivo) Poisonus, thanks for the clue

The jack o'lantern mushroom (Omphalotus olearius) is an orange to red gill mushroom that is similar in appearance to the chanterelle, and most notable for its bioluminescent properties. Previous names include Omphalotus illudens and Clitocybe illudens. Unlike the chanterelle, the jack o'lantern mushroom is very poisonous. While not lethal, consuming this mushroom leads to very severe cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea. Complicating its toxicity is the fact that it smells and looks very appealing, to the extent that there are reports of repeat poisonings from individuals who were tempted to try them a second time.

Its bioluminescence is generally only observable in low-light conditions with acclimated eyes. The whole mushroom doesn't glow—only the gills. This is due to luciferase, the same type of chemical that fireflies use to glow. However, in this case, the luciferase is a waste product, and is transported to the gills to get it out of the mushroom. There have been anecdotal reports of glowing spore-clouds being released by the mushrooms at night. It is possible that some traditional reports of "Will o the wisp" are due to this bioluminescent sporulation.

Unlike the chanterelle, the jack o'lantern has true, sharp, non-forking gills; this is the only "simple" trait for distinguishing between the two.

Source Wikipedia (Technopats favourite)

Regards
Dave

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 15:09 PM »
Hola,

OK the scores so far are... Dave 2 and Technopat 1

Number 1.......identified by Technopat Amanita Caesaria (huevo del Rey)......Edible
Number 3.......identified by Dave Omphalotus olearias (seta de olovo)...........Poisonous
Number 4...... identified by Dave Amanita Muscaria (matamoscas)................Poisonous

DISCLAIMER!
These identifications are the "opinions" of individual people and are not to be construed as absolute fact. If you collect and eat wild mushrooms then you do it purely at your own risk.

Clive
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 15:21 PM by Wildside »

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 01:34 AM »
Greetings All,
May I suggest that the disclaimer be included in the header and/or appears as a popup whenever anyone clicks on a thread within that topic?

To said disclaimer should also be added some sort of reference regarding the unreliability of Wikipedia as a source for anything other than simple household stuff - but obviously worded in such a way as to avo¡d the foum being sued for libel. O sea, Wikipedia is great for what it is but don't eat a mushroom that has been identified using W. as a source!

Regs.
Technopat
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 16:24 PM by Technopat »

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 10:21 AM »
Hola,

I've added a sentence to the header and it is quite clear that this is a simple name game and not something to be relied upon.

Wikipedia have their own disclaimers.

So, Who's got another guess or a decent recipe that might encourage me to seek out one of these weird things in a shop and have a taste...

Clive

Roxanne

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2007, 18:45 PM »
   :o Oh dear. I never seid I was an exspert on fungi. The only one I new about was the Caesar mushroom. You know the reason for that, of course!And watch out, or I'll post a thing on fish of la manga. Hand over names, Latin names, size. ( wich would be handy, as I dont know half the names my self.) :biggrin:

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 18:48 PM »
Greetings Clive and All,
Been neglecting this neck of the woods. Sorry!

Until Clive gives us his def. ID the following are only working hypotheses:

No 2 Hygrocybe punicea Crimson- or Scarlet Waxy Cap (edible) -
but easily confused with Hygrocybe conica Conical Slimy Cap which should not be eaten

No 6 Boletus edulis - Penny Bun Bolete or Cep (from the Catalan) (edible) - many varieties come under this name, but contrary to what many people think most Boletus cannot be eaten (most notably the Devil's Bolete which is found in the south of the LOG)

On tenterhooks regs.,
Technopat

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 19:20 PM »
Forgot the Sp. for Boletus edulis: Boleto comestible, Calabaza, Hongo and Viriato; Catalán: Cep, Aubarell, Bolet de bou, Ciureny and Sureny; Ba: Ontozuri, Ondo Ondua and Onto zuriya

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2007, 19:27 PM »
tee hee

Ok TP, number 6 well done Boletus edulis...

Number 2 is very...very close but not quite right...

Scores now stand at...

Number 1.......identified by Technopat Amanita Caesaria (huevo del Rey)......Edible
Number 6.......identified by Technopat Boletus edulis Penny bun Bolete       Edible
Number 3.......identified by Dave Omphalotus olearias (seta de olovo)...........Poisonous
Number 4...... identified by Dave Amanita Muscaria (matamoscas)................Poisonous

:)

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 19:41 PM »
Greetings Clive,
So I s'pose it's the Hygrocybe coccinea - Scarlet Hood or Golden-spotted waxy cap; Sp. Hygrocybe escarlata; Ba: Ezco gorri-txiki (edible) - grows same area but whereas the other one grows only in Sept. this one grows from Aug. to Oct.