Iberianature Forum

Endless Summer ?

• 7 Replies

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« on: September 24, 2008, 17:59 PM »
Hi All
I know we have a ´what is the weather doing in your patch´ thread. But I needed a sort of what has the weather been doing in your patch. Here in Leon the summer has been never ending, with no substantial rain since May. The clouds have threatened a few times, but never actually produced much, they are probably empty after raining on Asturias. And so it has been all Summer long, endless days of warm sunshine, temperatures reaching into the mid 30´s for days on end. I never realised how boring it could be, ´Nice Morning´ ´Oh! Right´. We had to go to Scotland to cool down, and even they we only had 2 half days of rain in 10 days, while in England, they were having floods. Since coming back, there is a distinct Autumnal nip in the air, but it is still mostly dry. We travelled up to Asturias, in the A66 at the weekend, and the Barrios de Luna is really low, I think Riaño is the same. So over to you lot, what has the weather been doing in your patch.
Regards
Dave

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 18:12 PM »
Well here in "The wettest place in Spain" ie Grazalema, it is acting very odd indeed... No rain to speak of since before the forum get together months ago apart from a 30mm downpour yesterday... All our reservoirs are low and the river trickled a bit but has now dried up again....

It cooled off a bit so I changed me bare feet and flip flops to socks and flip flops and shorts for trousers but its that time of year when it is too chilly for a T shirt but too hot for a jumper....

The clouds that bring the rain at this time of year are just moving onwards to dump the water in silly places like the coast where all the water goes straight out to sea....

Still. we do have excellent temperatures now for seed sowing of our winter veggy crops... :)
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline nick

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
    • Iberianature
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 20:12 PM »
Two days ago was the autumnal equinox and bang on the temperatures dropped and started raining at last here in Barcelona.
Nick
http://iberianature.com/barcelona/history-of-barcelona/spanish-civil-war-tour-in-barcelona/
Spanish Civil War Tours in Barcelona
http://www.iberianature.com/
A guide to the environment, climate, wildlife, & nature of Spain
The Amazon/Forum Bookshop - lend us a hand
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/shop/index.htm
And also now The Natural History of Britain
http://iberianature.com/brita

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 22:41 PM »
Well, here in the Els Ports the weather has been a very mixed bag most of the summer long with heavy cloud, showers, torrential rain, hail and anything else that could be thrown at us !!

Offline elperronegro

• Spanish Highs Mountain Guides
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 13:03 PM »
Here in the Alpujarra we keep getting heavy rain promised but not materialising. Very disappointing BUTwhen we look at our rainfall records we have already had more rain than normal for Sept.

Our rainfall guage has recorded the following rainfall since 11th May:
10th Sept 22mm
18th Sept 2mm
24th Sept 26mm
26th Sept 3mm
27th Sept 1mm
28th Sept 1mm
Total this Sept is 55mm rainfall over 6 days. Is this unusual?

In Sept 2007 we recorded 4 days containing rain with total rainfall 22mm. In Sept 2006 we recorded 3 days containing rain with total rainfall 30mm.

Conclusion is that this is already wetter September than previous and rain is "forecast" for the next 2 days.
Walking, trekking, mountaineering, backcountry skiing, ski touring, snowshoeing in the Alpujarra and Sierra Nevada. Also weather, snow conditions, mountain info etc

Spanish Highs Mountain Guides www.spanishhighs.co.uk

Sierra Nevada Images www.sierra-nevada-images.com

Offline Jill

• Jill Dickin Schinas
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 22:29 PM »
Greetings from the Mar Menor, where we like it hot and sunny.

Boring! Well, if you lived on a boat you wouldn't call it boring, Dave!
Sunshine = swimming, sailing, diving, walking on the island or in the hills, and getting on with life.
Rain = sitting in the cabin, getting under each other's feet and on each other's nerves, waiting for the chance to resume normal life.

But I do appreciate that the country needs rain, and that without it we can't eat (unless we live on fish...)

It doesn't rain here in the summer. I can't actually remember the last time it rained, but I logged it here, on the other thread. Was it in March?

We generally get a couple of weeks of heavy thunder showers in October, and another week or two of rain in March.

This region has always been very arid, and man has come up with a multitude of ways to deal with the problem. (I've written something about this for our website - but I haven't had time to type it up...).

In 2006 the autumn rain did not arrive until the end October. I have photos of us sitting around in swimming gear on October 28th.
In 2007 we thought ourselves hard done by because summer ended early, at the end of September.
This year... has been ridiculous.

This year we had a rainstorm in late August - a filthy one, filled with Saharan dust.
Then we had a spell of mixed weather, with the sunny days interspersed with grey ones.
And then last Tuesday, the heavens opened. Since then it has been raining stupid amounts in tremendous squalls.

I don't know what it has been doing in the mountains, but here on the coast it has been washing the soil into the sea and flooding the whole place. I have been told that one place recorded 48 litres per metre in one hour... but I don't know if that can really be true.
The Cartagena Romans and Carthaginians festival has been washed out - with floods of tears adding to the deluge - and when we drove to town, a couple of days ago, part of the motorway was flooded with fast-flowing murky brown water. One car had already gone off the road into the ditch - it was sitting there, with the water flowing through the open doors - and if there wasn't a nasty accident it can only have been because the Guardia Civil got there in double quick time and did a great job of controlling the traffic. When we returned, a few hours later, they were still in attendance and the fire-brigade were still shovelling the mud off the motorway.

Of course, this kind of unpredictable rainfall, interspersed with years of drought, is absolutely typical for a desert region - and that is effectively what we have here.

Jill

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 13:37 PM »
hi Jill and All
Perhaps boring is the wrong word
How about tedious

Life Gets Tedious , Don't It?
The sun comes up and the sun goes down,
The hands on the clock keep going round,
I just get up and it's time to lay down,
Life gets tedious, don't it?
My shoes untied but I don't care,
I was'nt figuring on going nowhere,
I'd have to wash and comb my hair,
And that's just wasted effort.

Water in the well gettin' lower end lower,
Can't take a bath for a month or more,
But I've heard it told and it's true I'm sure,
That too much bathing weakens yer.

Open the door and the flies come in,
Shut the door and yer sweating again,
And in the process, I cracked my shin,
Just one darn thing after another.

Ole brown mule, he must be sick,
I jabbed him in the rump with a pin on a stick,
He humped his back but he did'nt kick,
There's something cockeyed somewhere.
Ole mouse chawing on the pantry door,
Been chawing there for a month or more,
When he gets through he's gonna be sore,
There aint a darn thing in there.

Hound dog howling so forlorn,
Laziest dog that ever was born,
He's howling cause he's sittin' on a thorn,
And he's just too tired to move over.
Tin roof leaks and the chimney leans,
There's a hole in the seat of my old blue jeans,
I 'ate the last of my pork and beans,
Just can't depend on nothin'.

Cows gone dry and the hens won't iay,
Fish stopped biting last Saturday,
Troubles piling up day by day,
And now I'm gettin' dandruff.

Grief and misery pain and woes,
Bills and taxes and so it goes,
And now I'm gettin' a cold in the nose,

By Carson Robison.
regards
Dave

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 17:01 PM »
Greetings Dave 'n' All,
Just came across this very opportune thread from almost exactly a year back - and updating it for y'all to add of your plenty.

This summer in Madrid has been cooler than most - apart from the odd peak day. Two days ago, I posted elsewhere that while the rest of the country seemed to be under the threat of rain or actually being rained on, Madrid was enjoying slightly chillyish temps (for the time of year) but with bright blue skies.

Today has been cold, grey, wet and miserable - not necessarily in that order - so I think we can safely conclude that summer is over - here in Madrid, that is - and that flu season is very soon upon us.

Don't-forget-yer-jacket regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266