Iberianature Forum

The Cabaña Veronica

• 5 Replies

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« on: March 02, 2008, 12:26 PM »
Mike found a fascinating video of how the Cabaña Veronica came to be perched high in the Central Massif of the Picos de Europa which has prompted me to post this and, as I stayed there for two nights in bygone, pre-children days, I'm posting it here.
In 1960/61, two friends and members of the Cantabrian climbing club Federación Cántabra de Deportes de Montaña y Escalada, Conrado Sentíes (an engineer) and  Luis Pueyo (an architect) spotted an American aircraft carrier, the USS Palau laid up in the Basque port of Santurtzi, waiting to be scrapped. Like you would, they thought one of the gun turrets would make an excellent mountain refuge hut. It took eight days to transport it up, piece by piece, on the back of a horse (named Rubio), this being five years before the building of the cable car at Fuente De. Conrado decided on its final position at 2,325m and it was named after his daughter.
From 1983 to May of last year (2007), it was manned by Mariano Sánchez Madina who, though not employed or contracted by anyone, made its 9m2 his home and provided invaluable assistance to the mountain rescue units of the GREIM and to all the mountaineers who used it. Through an exterior door you enter an entrance tunnel through which an interior door leads into the Cabaña. There's a table and stools on the left, on the right three bunks, at the back a cooking area and two porthole windows. Sadly, for the moment, Mariano's underwear is not hanging up to dry. This amazing man carried up sacks of potatoes, boxes of beers and bottles of gas. Yes, the big ones, bombonas. As far as we know, the record number of people sleeping inside the hut has been thirteen.
I stayed at the end of a winter season (1994ish) with the plan of relaxing in the sun, reading with the Alpine accentors around my feet while Mike climbed Peña Vieja. Cold, snow and wind hampered the former but not the latter. I call it Mike's second home in the winter.
Here's a link to the Cabaña Veronica, DO click on the English link, it's worth it  :biggrin:
And the videos of how it came to be;
Cabaña Veronica Part 1
Cabaña Veronica Part 2   
I've also posted another photo on the IberiaNature gallery.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 12:58 PM by lisa »
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 18:26 PM »
Greetings Lisa and All,
Great background info. Lisa, but I do feel there should be a warning to those of us out here who are snobs music-wise. 8)

Regs.,
Technopat
PS.
I thought the whole idea of skiing was to go downhill ... :dancing: - or did you put the negative in al revés (En. anyone?)?
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 22:31 PM »
Oh I don't know, I'm quite partial to a little música de culo fondo myself.
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 23:09 PM »
Greetings Lisa and All,
Although this is obviously not thread, as Lennon said: The sound you make is Muzak to my ears ... :dancing:

And here's Barenboim's take at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4883612.stm

Regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 07:20 AM »
Just turn the volume down and read the English  :) As I say just above the Veronica photo here, I don't recommend the muzak!
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 08:18 AM »
I thought I'd done this but..........
Sadly, Mariano died this June. His ashes were scattered from Pico Tesorero. I can't imagine the Veronica, or the Picos, or the people who enjoy them, ever benefitting again from such a dedicated and watchful caretaker.

SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa