Iberianature Forum

Autumn Mushrooms in Soria

• 3 Replies

Offline Spanish Footsteps

• Spanish Footsteps
« on: October 22, 2008, 21:03 PM »
Hola

The talk around town is that this year has been pretty poor for wild mushrooms.  I guess that depends on whether you pick for fun and personal consumption or pick for mass commercial selling. 

We started looking for mushrooms in early September before any rains arrived.  Although many locals wait for the first rains, we decided to take some of our guests to look around the humid areas, such as riverbanks etc and found 2 kg of Boletus edulis and aereus, around pine and oak woods on our first morning.  The biggest specimen weighed in at 350grams.  We dried most of our pickings and had a wild mushroom feast that evening, with enough left over for a year round supply.

When the rains finally came we changed location and took our group to some meadows, particularly where dead thistles (cardo) were, again finding a healthy amount of Pleurotus eryngil ‘Seta de cardo’.

The other popular mushroom collected in this region is the Lactarius deliciosus ‘Nicalo’, Saffron Milk Cap.  However these seem to be less abundant this year, but still enough for personal consumption.

There was a few worried faces at one point when someone commented on a 'roaring sound' they could hear, but decided not to make a run for it when I told them it was just deer belowing.

Soria is fast becoming a popular place to take a weekend away, we of course make sure that our group only picks the edible ones and just enjoy the look of the Fly Argaric Amanita muscaria.

regards
alfredo
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 11:44 AM by Spanish Footsteps »
Discover the culturally rich province of Soria with Spanish Footsteps.
We provide unique walking holidays in Northern Spain.
For lovers of Nature, History and Culture.

www.spanishfootsteps.com

Unique walking holidays in Northern Spain

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 00:42 AM »
Greetings alfredo,
Nice pic!
I was just going to post something for you along the lines of "Bumper 'shroom pickings this autumn". Folks here in Madrid are saying that this autumn should be a bumper year due to the rains. I was to have gone today, but change of plans. :banghead:

Happy picking (and snarfing)!
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Spanish Footsteps

• Spanish Footsteps
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 20:37 PM »
Thanks TP

Yes, wasnt a bad year at all.
Discover the culturally rich province of Soria with Spanish Footsteps.
We provide unique walking holidays in Northern Spain.
For lovers of Nature, History and Culture.

www.spanishfootsteps.com

Unique walking holidays in Northern Spain

Simon

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 13:17 PM »
Hi guys,

What a duffer I am! Looks like I posted the following in last years seasonal observation:

Here in Catalonia it's been a most amazing season so far, due to the wet weather.

But talking of fringe benefits of  'la crisi' I hope that the vile four-wheel-drive brigade will desist from destroying the leaf litter banghead with quite so much gusto from now on!

Regs

Simon

PS you can tell I should be working can't you - two chapters down and eight more to go - all by December 12 technodevil