Iberianature Forum

Wildside Holidays Re loaded and re launched!

• 13 Replies

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« on: January 25, 2009, 16:01 PM »
Hi All,

I am very pleased to announce the launch of the new look Wildside Holidays website!

The new layout is a little different but a lot more visually effective, more easily searched and has better search engine friendly systems to help drive traffic to all of our advertisers websites....

There is now a front page review and news section which will hold articles about many aspects of nature and activity holidays in Iberia
Spain and Portugal are now consolidated onto the one home page rather than two in the old set up....
feeds from this forum and the Grazalema guide appear on the home page as do links to our nature pages articles.

I still have a few more tweeks to make and need reset all the listings to belong to their owners but for the most part the results of what seems like many hundreds of hours of sitting at the screen speak for themselves. (Actually it is many hundreds of hours.......  :)

www.wildsideholidays.com

And for the "credit crunch" busting news we have decided to allow all current advertisers a free year of advertising and all new listings from today are halved in price to 23.20 Euros for a year!

Looking forward to any constructive criticism and feedback.

Best wishes to all

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline glennie

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 17:12 PM »
Is it my laptop or is the site quite slow to open and to move around in (i.e. opening links)?

Maybe others can confirm.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 17:34 PM »
Hi Glennie, thanks for looking.

I have a pretty slow internet connection here and the speed of page loads seems OK for me. I generally say that if I can navigate a site from here then it must be reasonably quick to load...

The random thumbs that appear left and right are only around 5 K each...

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline nick

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
    • Iberianature
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 17:41 PM »
Been waiting for this one for months Clive. Well done! You've moved up a whole new gear. Hope all the time and investment pays off. Great stuff

Nick
Nick
http://iberianature.com/barcelona/history-of-barcelona/spanish-civil-war-tour-in-barcelona/
Spanish Civil War Tours in Barcelona
http://www.iberianature.com/
A guide to the environment, climate, wildlife, & nature of Spain
The Amazon/Forum Bookshop - lend us a hand
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/shop/index.htm
And also now The Natural History of Britain
http://iberianature.com/brita

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 20:30 PM »
Truly impressive Clive  :clapping: It's smart, modern and fresh! I like the change to photos from the coloured boxes and it all loaded fine for me.
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 20:54 PM »
Hi Lisa,

I still have the coloured boxes on the nature pages at www.wildsideholidays.com/natural

You should have had your log in details now Lisa, only take a few minutes to update your listing what with the new wysiwyg editor and super clean layout of the admin area :)

Clive
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 20:56 PM by Clive »

Offline stephanie

• Our new rescue dogs
    • Cortijo La Calera
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 21:37 PM »
 Hi Clive,
Well done!    :clapping:
The new site is excellent and thanks for loading up our editorial so quickly.
I had no problems with the speed. 
 :biggrin:  Thanks for the  free years advertising.  Stephanie.
Cortijo La Calera, rural self-catering Andalucian farmhouse
An idyllic relaxing hideaway. Birdwatching, Walking, Photography
www.lacalera.co.uk

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 22:27 PM »
Yes it looks good, Clive and when I have some free time I will send along my editorial (which I am writing up now) to you.
Thanks for all your efforts.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 19:28 PM »
Well, its been a month or so and the new site is working really well, general traffic is up by an incredible 180 percent. There are 4 new listings from Portugal and a couple from Spain.... feedback from the people with listings has been heartening...

The expected Google ranking and search indexing losses have been negligible and all the worrying was really for nothing... We are still at the top for "nature holiday spain" and "nature holiday portugal". Pretty much all of our other key words for search related things remain intact.... Googles latest PR shake up left us with our existing PR4... I had thought we would slip to a 3.

Its really hard to draw the line between what is acceptable to me and also give everyone a chance to appear on the Wildside pages... For example I recently turned down a company that promotes golfing holidays and also another that concentrates on "quad, spills and thrills".... I am afraid I just can't promote them as I have a set of standards that I refuse to lower... I worked out that over the last 2 years I have turned down around a thousand Euros by refusing businesses that have asked to have a listing with Wildside Holidays but didn't fit in with my idea of site ethics.

It has been hard for me to even add the car hire links that now exist but I figure people visiting Iberia will almost always hire a car so maybe if they hire a car and also have an educative holiday with one of the excellent companies we have with us it kind of evens out the impact...

Thanks to all for the feedback here (and the PM's and emails)... Wildside Holidays is slowly but surely becoming the place to find a trusted company for a nature holiday in Spain or Portugal.

Onwards and upwards :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 19:31 PM by Clive »

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 20:04 PM »
Keep up the standards Clive  :clapping:
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 18:29 PM »
Hi all,

Yesterday, Wildside Holidays broke a record...... We had 200 visitors on line at the same time! :)

The search engines in particular seem to like the new system.

Simon

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 09:40 AM »
Hi Clive,

The site looks great and works fine - I'm convinced! You should have my mail by now ready to sign Casa Rafela on!  :dancing:

Simon

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 23:41 PM »
I have made some changes to the layout of our Clickable Map Project at Wildside Holidays.... The amount of articles we have and the structure was a bit confusing.... There are now live feeds from the forum here and the latest happenings at Wildside Holidays main pages.... This summer there will be a concerted effort to publish many more pages on specific animals, plants and nature areas of Iberia... Image galleries and sound recordings will be added as well. Still some tidying to do but most of the layout is done...
www.wildsideholidays.com/natural

Wildside Holidays is now showing the latest wildlife articles from the map project and is really starting to get serious traffic... We are at the top of Google for a lot of search terms and that feels good :) The Special offers and focus articles on our advertisers are driving a lot of traffic to their business websites....
www.wildsideholidays.com

The ultimate aim?.... get customers for the best companies in Iberia that help to protect this amazing countryside and rural way of life by sustainable and as far as is possible environmentally friendly nature tourism.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 23:43 PM by Clive »

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 22:57 PM »
Well, things are moving along with Wildside Holidays and we recently added our 100th advertiser.......... We really do have some of the best companies and guides providing wildlife and activity holidays in the Iberian Peninsular

Advertising prices are incredibly low and quite frankly irrelivent to the yearly costs of running a tourism business....

At the top of Wildside homepage at the moment is a plug for one of the very best projects promoting and protecting the environment and way of life up in the mountains in the north....... Take a look

www.wildsideholidays.com