Iberianature Forum

Mushroom ID please

• 10 Replies

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« on: January 29, 2009, 12:32 PM »
Found this mushroom growing in the campo this morning. Does anyone have any idea from this pic what it is?
The 2nd picture, can anyone tell what that is and if its the begining of the first mushroom or something completely different  :noidea:

Thanks

Maria

Offline Jesus Contreras

• Oz Nature Wildlife
    • Oz Nature WILDLIFE
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 19:15 PM »
No much info for you, Maria... but I understand that they are 2 different species... about the first no idea, but the second one remembers me something similar to PAXINA SP / PAXINA LEUCOMELAS .

Please, it is only an idea for aproximation... I´m not an expert in mushrooms... I fear them a lot, except in the dish, fried and with onions.  :technodevil:

Rgds.

JSS
OZ NATURE WILDLIFE
Jesús Contreras
www.indalodeoz.com
Geographical Field Trips & Birdwatching in Almería - Spain

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 20:12 PM »
Many thanks for your idea. Im like you in fearing them unless they are being cooked for me!!
Ive googled PAXINA LEUCOMELAS and it says they are Poisonous/Suspect. I just assumed because they were growing very close together that maybe they were one of the same thing, i will give them a wide berth and maybe someone else will be able to help with the id of the first one??

Maria

Offline Spanish Footsteps

• Spanish Footsteps
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 20:31 PM »
Hola Maria

Mushrooms are not the easiest things to identify from a photo or even if they are in your hands for that matter.  To positively identify one, its best to find out where it was found eg: type of vegetation, trees etc and also which season can help.  Then or course its a case of looking at the colour and form of the stem, gills and cap.

I'm not sure of the first one, but it looks fairly old and the second looks very much like a puffball thats gone 'puff', and opened (which they do when they are old).

Hope that helps
regards
alfredo
Discover the culturally rich province of Soria with Spanish Footsteps.
We provide unique walking holidays in Northern Spain.
For lovers of Nature, History and Culture.

www.spanishfootsteps.com

Unique walking holidays in Northern Spain

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 09:38 AM »
Hi Alfredo

Both mushrooms were found in an empty part of the veggie plot just next to each other and have only noticeably emerged from ground. I will take another picture when the first one has grown some more and see if that helps anyone with id. I wouldn't eat them because like you say you can never truly id them unless you are an expert.

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Maria

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 16:17 PM »
Hi ive just taken a few more pictures, there maybe more detail on there for id, they have changed alot in a day!

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 19:53 PM »
Great pictures Maria, unfortunately I am rubbish at mushrooms... :)
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Spanish Footsteps

• Spanish Footsteps
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 15:20 PM »
The first one looks like (but isnt) a Fair Ring (marasmius oreades), as they get older the cap flips up like an umbrella in the wind.  The other photos look like a blewit, again probably not.

If you get a lot of mushrooms in your area, its worth buying a field guide.  Its lots of fun mshroom collecting, just dont eat any unless you are 100% confident that you know what you are eating.

Best time to collect is Spring and Autumn, although you may find some out in summer.

alfredo
Discover the culturally rich province of Soria with Spanish Footsteps.
We provide unique walking holidays in Northern Spain.
For lovers of Nature, History and Culture.

www.spanishfootsteps.com

Unique walking holidays in Northern Spain

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 23:45 PM »
Greetings Maria,
Great pix. The top one is very intriguing & have so far drawn a blank :banghead: but as for No. 2  - and much as I hate to disagree with alfredo (hi alfredo!), (tho' I always seem to end up doing so  :technodevil: ) I don't think it's a puffball, however much it's puffed.

Jss's Paxina Leucomelas (hi jss!) is more likely but I (IMNSHO - Sp. anyone?) reckon it's probably Tarzetta catinus as in http://www.socmicolmadrid.org/gale/galtarcat01.html or http://www.mushroomexpert.com/tarzetta_bronca.html

Less likely, but not-to-be-ruled out:
Peziza varia http://www.socmicolmadrid.org/gale/galpezvar01.html or Sarcoscypha coccinea http://www.socmicolmadrid.org/gale/galsarcoc01.html

Just for the record, your day-by-day snapshots of No. 1 show how tricky giving a positive ID can be - all depends on the day you come across the 'shroom - deadly shrooms can look just like button mushrooms (the ones you get at the greengrocer's).

Will-b-back regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 10:55 AM »
Hi TP

I truly thought the top pic would be the easiest of the 2 to name, I really dont know anything about mushrooms eh  :speechless:. I have no idea what they could be but im loving everyones ideas of what they could be  :booklook:. Should it ever stop raining I shall go and take a look at them again and maybe take another pic or two.

Thanks all

Maria

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 10:46 AM »
Im sad to report that there will be no more photos as the mushrooms died in the horrible weather!

So thats it folks.

Thanks for trying.