Iberianature Forum

cat to spain

• 3 Replies

Offline elvis

• Safetycat
« on: March 18, 2009, 10:23 AM »
Hi,
I'm moving to Tarragona countryside in May and am bringing my pet cat. He's used to living in town and will have to get used to the big bad countryside!
Does anyone have experience of doing this? Any tips for travel (although we're driving I'm assuming it would be better to get him flown over) and/or any general tips for this sort of thing.

cheers
elvina

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 18:37 PM »
Hi Elvina
When we moved over 3 years ago we brought 2 cats with us driving them down with us from Boulogne over three nights.  We had intended bringing them further by ferry but P and O do not, or did not accept animals on board, Brittany Ferries would only do a return journey, Ryanair accept 2 pets on each flight but keep back one of those pkaces for a guide dog, Eurotunnel charged the earth for a short stretch of tunnel and BA quoted £1000, so Hoverspeed (no longer operating over the Channel) came to the rescue with fares of £8.50 for each cat.  We spaced our journey down carefully staying at budget style hotels who were happy to accept pets in the rooms, and also allowing for toilet stops with the cats on leads.  The rest of the time they spent happily sleeping in their boxes.  So a lobng journey down is possible if you base it around the cats needs.
One thing I would point out is that you must ensure that your property is properly fenced as the Spanish drivers are quite happy to run over any cat on the road, and one our little darlings lost her life over here within 9 months as she would insist on finding a way out and crossing the road to do her hunting.  Our older cat has never been one to venture onto the road and so we have managed to keep her in the garden without any real will to venture further, but we have also lost 2 stray kittens we took in to the traffic so I don't think that we will be getting any further cats.
Good luck.
Tony

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 23:09 PM »
I think I'd rather have my cat with me in the car... he howks a bit but after a while they all settle down.....

Good to hear your plans are coming together Elvina..... Is this a permanent move then?
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline elvis

• Safetycat
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 22:27 PM »
Hi, thanks for replies!
we are coming for a year, and see how that goes  :biggrin: can't wait!!

I am now veering more to the road travel, as we will be towing a caravan, so he doesn't have to be in a tiny box.
This mornings trip to the vet to get jabs etc was actually the calmest ever, well he did make a dive under the car seat, but still!

Also my findings so far have been that cheaper airlines won't take pets at all, and the brittany ferry just have a charge of £30.

It took the puss cat 6 months to get used to a new house and garden in london, i've no idea how long it will take him to get used to a dinky caravan in a pine forest!
I guess it seems peaceful to us, but to him it will be an explosion of new smells and noises.

oh well, like the move for us, we'll just have to do it and see what happens! It only seems good to me!
cheers
elvina