Iberianature Forum

internet

• 11 Replies

Offline elvis

• Safetycat
« on: March 19, 2009, 23:10 PM »
Hiya
i'm moving out to Tarragona countryside very soon.  :biggrin: :biggrin:
Does anyone have any info/tips/tricks/links about internet access?
I've read articles saying that wireless is being brought to rural areas, but no details.
I know the local village has ADSL, but don't know what other options there are... satellite?!

cheers
elvina

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 00:13 AM »
Hi Elvina,

I am way out in the campo with no landline and down in a dip so no 3g either... My only alternative to live in paradise and be connected is with 3000 Euros for the kit and 100 euros a month for the connection.... 2way satellite link... Its horrible.. Restricted to 1 gig download a month and I get to that on around day 12... Then I get penalised for downloading too much and the connection slooooowssss down...... Last month it went down to 4.2Kb I kid you not...... Still I manage to run my sites from here if not make that much profit on them... :)... No downloading of movies or music though... Sigh!

Best bet is find out if you have a 3g signal.... Visit the phone shop company that has the strongest signal and ask to use a demo USB dongle.... the deals on those are great.... Unlimited download....High speed and only 30 euros a month... OHHH I'm in heaven..

The new vodaphone dongle is supposed to be good and coverage strong...

Welcome to the Campo :)

Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Simon

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 05:12 AM »
Hi Elvina,

Welcome to Tarragona - I live here! - albeit it the city itself.

I'm no tekkie (groans from the IbNat community  :technodevil:) but you're fairly well placed in Catalonia. Many towns are becoming 'global' WiFi zones, and smaller places have free telecentres called 'Punt TIC's , which also have WiFi and these usually work in the neighbouring streets so you can access 24/7. Find your nearest TIC here.

Regarding access at home, if you are in the wilds that needn't be too much of a problem. Telefonica has a rather antiquated system of getting phone access even without landlines (call them on 2004) but this doesn't 'do' internet. You can, however, get satellite access for the same price as a normal subscription but the downside is that you need to have a hub installed. This may be too expensive for just one person but if you are in a village you can club together. There are issues about who has the hub on their property, accessibility for maintenance, etc. and to be honest I don't know anyone who's done this. Again, ask at Telefonica or see their web site.

Meanwhile, here's their page to check out the coverage of your new address, you never know!

Regs

Simon

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 08:24 AM »
Sorry Simon but I am going to disagree with you.  Out Telefonica phone access is by field or radio phone, presumably the antiquated system that you talk about.  We also get dial-up internet via this sytem (broadband is a no no) and use a DSL speed-up system.  As we use Citrus Red for reduced cost telephone calls we pay 80Eto  Telefonica every 2 months for access to the system which includes their DUO tariff for internet and foreign calls.
Whereabouts in the Tarragona countryside are you going to be Elvina ?   If it is anywhere near Tortosa go onto the Tortosa Forum and contact Nigel who runs it and who sorted out my system for me ?
Alternatively, if you can see the local transmitter from your property then you might be able to access the internet through Iberbanda.

Offline elvis

• Safetycat
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 12:53 PM »
great, thanks for info!

my nearest villages are Tivissa or Vandellos, and not too far to Mora or Hospitalet de l'Infant.
Seems there is a TIC in Tivissa library, I think I have been to the one in Mora.

I imagine the homeside will take some sorting so may have to work out 'renting' a deskspace with internet in the village somewhere, as I am hoping continue with my internet based work,( though not full time, phew!).
but sounds like there are some options for the future plans so thats good.

thanks
elvina

Simon

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 07:18 AM »
Hi Tony and Elvina,

I'm going to get really technical here so hearty apologies for non-techies, Mac users, et al,  :technodevil: Tony; my phone system was a wall mounted big grey box thingyl with a stick aerial  coming out of the top!  :noidea: It certainly didn't allow any kind of internet access, which was one heck of a blow to our plans when we moved here in 1997! The upshot of this was that we moved here to the city - the best decision we've ever made!  :dancing:

It sounds like you've found a lovely place to live, Elvina, we stop at Tivissa on our occasional Dominguero (Eng. Sunday driver!) outings. Try exploring the route to Falset by way of La Serra d'Almos and Capçanes. Really brilliant contryside and Falset is a much nicer place than La Mora. Don't miss the Priorat wine fira there, on or around May 1st! An ideal venue for a Southern Catalonia fringe summit, perhaps! :technodevil:

Regs

Simon

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 09:09 AM »
Sounds like youhad something really antiquated there Simon.
My radio (field) telephone is a tiny little grey box, with a sim card, connected to an aerial on the roof - the only problem is that it occasionally cuts out and I have to stick a toothpick in a little hole underneath to re-activate (best description I can give as I am not technically minded either).  People further up the valley had been told by Telefonica for ages that there was no way they could have any connection as there were no phone lines nearby, so I told them to ask for a radio phone and they got one immediately of the same style.

Simon

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 11:51 AM »
Sounds like the same deal, including having to know what to ask for, but with an updated system, i.e. it supports Internet. Maybe that's your way to go Elvina?

Simon

Simon

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 00:01 AM »
Envina,

News on Telefonica: I had half an eye on the telly last night and think I saw a promotion that gave new a free 'alta', to having a phone line. This normally costs probably over €100! I also now recall that the customer attention is 1004 nor 2004 as I said earlier. They speak English id you ask them, which is very helpful, you would need your DNI  and current account numbers to hand when you make the call.

Regs

Simon

Offline elvis

• Safetycat
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 19:50 PM »
Thanks Simon,
sounds like a good deal, wonder if it will be available for a while?
i'll just have to have a good look round when I arrive!

cheers
elvina

Simon

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 20:59 PM »
Happy huntin'

Simon

Offline elmussol

• els Mussols
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 18:43 PM »
OK. I come into the conversation far too late as usual, but I've not been paying mind or attention to IbNatfoo for a couple of months, as I've had other tech projects on.

As a fellow campo dweller, we get our telephone and internet, as Tony up the valley does, via a radiophone. However having tried to troubleshoot a couple of Telefonic(r)a(*) installations at other folks fincas, I knew I didn't want their service.

I ended up with Iberbanda, who I have to say have been pretty good thus far. We have a landline (in terms of rate and #) telephone (300min/month free national calls)  and a 1Mbps net connection for €45/month. I have permanent internet going (literally) and have had 14 dropouts since last July. One was for 2.5 days as their transmitter lost power during high winds in February IIRC. Whether you can have the service is completely dependant on have line of sight of one of their transmitters, but if you do, I'd take 'em over Telefonica any day. 

I still yearn for my 8Mbps I had in Sheffield, but all things considered, I'm pretty chuffed. YMMV
pault's blurb: location: Xerta, Tarragona province, Catalunya
talks tech, eco stuff & politics