Iberianature Forum

Working with images on Preview

• 10 Replies

Simon

« on: March 25, 2009, 17:05 PM »
Hi,

After enormous problems with iPhoto I've started working directly on .jpg images on Preview. The trouble is that some changes, i.e. rotating portraits views, don't seem to be 'saved', even though they are, for other applications. For instance, when I open them i, Colorsync utility, they still appear 'sideways on'! What happens is that when I try to upload these images onto the forum, or my IbNat blog, they likewise still come out sideways. :banghead:

Any thoughts, hints, tips, etc. would be very much appreciated, as apart from anything else no-one as yet can see the ace images of our [ur=http://iberianature.com/simonsblog/2009/03/calcotada/l]calçotada[/url] last weekend!

Ta

Simon

Offline elvis

• Safetycat
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 19:37 PM »
have you tried Graphic converter?
its shareware
http://www.lemkesoft.com/content/193/key-features.html

it has some nice features like "browse folder" which shows you icons of a selected browser, which you can then 'rotate' or open to edit.
If you buy it, it has fantastic batch converting, but think you can do everything else in 'demo' mode. costs about 30euros.

but yeah i have same problem with preview, haven't worked out why!

cheers
elvina

Simon

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 20:42 PM »
Thanks Elvina, I'll try it as and when - not very good at night as I start work v. early in the mornings and I'm off to the Pyrenees tomorrow!

Simon

PS check out your Internet post

Simon

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 00:18 AM »
Hello again Elvina, not sure if this counts as late  night or early morning but the bright ideas dept. works overtime  :speechless: !

I've used Photoshop to rotate the images - perfect - now I hear you ask the question, "This clot uses Photoshop!!!?"  :dancing:

See the full, unexpurgated story here . . .

Regs

Simon

Offline elvis

• Safetycat
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 09:37 AM »
ha ! well if you've got photoshop, might as well use it!

pics look great, I can't believe i've missed calçotada again this year...

Simon

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 20:56 PM »
Hi Elvina,

Sorry to be so tardy, I've been up ,in the Pyrnees doing virtuous, manly things like sawing wood and cutting tiles (virtue and manliness are some of my less strong attributes I hasten to add!)

Glad you know all about 'calçots', splendid isn't it!

Simon

Offline elmussol

• els Mussols
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 20:41 PM »
have you tried Graphic converter?

Back in my pre-Linux/GNU days I used this soft and it's great. Mac users can also GIMP as I've said before elsewhere on this forum. Wanna know where? Well that's what the search function's for ;-)

pault
pault's blurb: location: Xerta, Tarragona province, Catalunya
talks tech, eco stuff & politics

Offline elmussol

• els Mussols
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 20:49 PM »
ha ! well if you've got photoshop, might as well use it!

Well if you've paid for Photoshop, you're richer than me: £539.95 -- ouch! GIMP's free (gratis) btw.

Simon

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 21:28 PM »
Hi,

I'm a great fan of GIMP as indeed of all open software. But the trouble for Mac users is compatibility, GIMP doesn't run on my chip!

Regs

Simon

Offline elmussol

• els Mussols
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 21:53 PM »
I'm a great fan of GIMP as indeed of all open software. But the trouble for Mac users is compatibility, GIMP doesn't run on my chip!

I don't keep abreast of matters Mac like I used to, but I was under the impression that this had been fixed in GIMP 2.6. The GIMP Macintosh page no longer makes reference to which chiptype Mac you have. I do hear tell that the next GIMP will be Aqua (like OpenOffice.org 3.x as I understand it -- any Mac-heads tried it?).

pault

Simon

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 22:19 PM »
Thanks for this Paul, I'll take a look as and when I can!

Regs

Simon