Iberianature Forum

The IbNat Summit CATALONIA 2010!

• 34 Replies

Offline glennie

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 22:53 PM »
Thing is, there is no 'Puente de Mayo' - the first of May is a Saturday.

So if you are going to pick that weekend, you may as well pick any weekend for those with a 'nómina'.

In any case, for any weekend apart from Easter or el Pilar, as I couldn't get away from Madrid till Friday lunchtime and would have to be back in Madrid for Sunday night, I guess I'd have to count myself out. Dunno, to be honest. Would spend more time travelling than summiting?

It all comes of having public holidays based on 'the luck of the calendar' instead of on people's need for a rest. That idea just hasn't occurred to anyone here yet and, given national productivity rates, it ain't likely to. 

In May, I sometimes get three days. Next year I won't get one.
In Britain, the Public Holidays are s**t, but at least you always get them.
If we put it to the vote - the vast majority on the forum are either retired or self-employed. ... Otro año será.  :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 23:24 PM by glennie »

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 23:38 PM »
Glennie, are you saying that you don't have any paid leave at all from your job? I read your last post that you only ever get weekends off.... What holidays do you have and when are they....
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Simon

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 08:02 AM »
Hi Glennie, Clive et al,

You have my sympathy, Glennie, although as a 'self server' I work 24/7 (although in reality that's about 72/365, or rather that's how it looks in la cuenta! :banghead:) and drool and slobber at the idea of a monthly nomina! (my personal dream is to be a funcionário, sitting in a little wooden box at the entrance of some museum or art gallery, waiting for my pre-jubilación to come up 8))

Your mind may indeed boggle Clive, but that's the deal depending on the province where you live/work, not geting fiestas if they fall on a weekend. I guess it does add to the low productivity habit/mentality! Talking of differences between provinces/regions, I've just heard that the subvención to kick start the car industry is to be €500 less in Catalonia than elsewhere, where it will add up to €2,000! So not only do we pay more for fuel, a 1.5 cent surcharge per litre, but we have to pay more for the wretched tin boxes to boot! :banghead: And you can't get around the country without paying peaje  :banghead:  :banghead: Just remind us, Glennie, how many kilometres (sic) of peaje there are in Madrid   :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Anyway, before I get on my high horse and give myself a bad hair day (I'm also catching the AVE to Saragossa later today, does anyone know whether you get free tapas there?), on to matter Summitry  :clapping::

I don't think we will find anywhere that can cope with groups of much more than 20, and in any event I personally think that if we reach the stage when we have to go around with name badges in order to remember who each other are then we'll have lost a key element of the Summits held thus far, i.e. a sense of intimacy, brotherhood (and sisterhood, of course :angel:) and ". . .we few, we happy few. . ." So, bearing in mind what Glennie says, and knowing that this will apply to many members, maybe we should think about having two smaller Summits per year  :dancing:, one central and one at some corner of the territory  :dancing:  :dancing:, and some of us may even get to do both  :dancing:  :dancing: :dancing:

Back at ground level: my idea of using Casa Rafela as an 'annex' to Cal Navarre was to serve two, or even three, purposes a) to give us up to six extra beds, b) we have loads of herbs and spices for the now notorious Summit curry fiends  :technodevil: and, perhaps, c) I calculate that a certain fledgling from Grazalema will be well into his/her teething process by then, so Clive and Sue could keep each other awake all night without giving the rest of us baggy eyes of a morning  :technodevil:

Regs and in haste

Simon

PS reflecting something you raised earlier, Glennie, about us all being in the one base; Casa Rafela's back door is about twenty-five metres from that of Cal Navarre, down a little ally. In fact there are only about fifteen houses in Fígols, a genuine aldea  :booklook: if ever there was one!

Offline glennie

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 13:33 PM »
Glennie, are you saying that you don't have any paid leave at all from your job? I read your last post that you only ever get weekends off.... What holidays do you have and when are they....

Month in the summer (Aug) when the Uni is off. Week and a day at Easter plus statutory pub hols, calendar permitting. Forgot Christmas - 2 weeks.

Offline glennie

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 13:41 PM »
PS reflecting something you raised earlier, Glennie, about us all being in the one base; Casa Rafela's back door is about twenty-five metres from that of Cal Navarre, down a little ally. In fact there are only about fifteen houses in Fígols, a genuine aldea  :booklook: if ever there was one!

Many thanks for the long post Simon. Appreciate your commitment on this one as evidenced by your posts.

What you say above sounds good.

Re. dates and all, you can't please all the people all of the time. 2011 will be different. There will probably be a long weekend in May and there won't be a problem.

If 2010 turns out to be a non-starter for 'asalariados' , they (and others) could consider something this autumn (El Pilar?) or next. As you say, there is nothing to stop us organising a 'maxi' and a 'mini'.

Cheers

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2009, 14:48 PM »
August would be a nice month for a get together :)

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline glennie

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2009, 15:57 PM »
August would be a nice month for a get together :)

Had assumed that many of those involved in eco-tourism holidays would be tied up (inc. yourself).

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 16:02 PM »
Interesting point Glennie, August can be so hot that many walking, cycling and other activity companies slow down during this month... Not all but some and of course more so in the south. certainly here in Grazalema/western Andalucia August is the time when many expats go home to cooler climes... Just something to bear in mind is all....

Simon

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2009, 19:01 PM »
Just back from my whistlestop trip to Zaragoza, thanks to the wonders of modern science  :speechless:

I'm going to write a blog entry about our wonderful trip to La Garrotxa, despite the abysmal weather  :banghead: and a post recommending the camping where we stayed (and wait until you see the post before jumping to conclusions, you ecowarriors you  :technodevil:). We were so impressed that we want to go back in late August - the trouble with the Puente de Pliar is all of the paces are full up and travelling is a nightmare  >:D

Meanwhile, I did wonder about Todos los Santos, but that seems to be a no no too this year! Glennie, has your profession got a fiesta all to itself? Most of my mates are in things like graphic design and they join in with the printers, Sant Esteban I think - although when I was in the ELT game I don't remember there being a fiesta dedicated to helpless, hapless, witless, bootless and unhorsed English Language Teachers :technodevil:.

Or what about the Madrid fiestas? Aren't they San Isidro (May 15 - a Friday this year) and Virgen de la Almudena (November 9 - a Monday this year)? Neither of those dates are very good for us here; May is our working season, so Casa Rafela is probably out of bounds, and November is getting a little late. The latter is possible but I have been thanking all along about next spring, this autumn might bring 'issues' between Mrs Simon and I as I've been having so many holidays, doing essential business travel so much this year (Brighton* next week and sailing to Majorca the week after! :clapping:!

Anyway, lost of paperwork to catch up on now so that's it for this evening!

Regs

Simon

* I've been urged by all of my mates to fly the flag for Barça against Man Utd next week in the Cup Final. Trouble is I'm going t be watching it with a bunch of gay female Man Utd supporters - it's no good either reverting to my 'native' side - I was born in Liverpool  :dancing: Oh heaven help poor little me!

Offline glennie

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 22:18 PM »
Or what about the Madrid fiestas? Aren't they San Isidro (May 15 - a Friday this year) and Virgen de la Almudena (November 9 - a Monday this year)? Neither of those dates are very good for us here

That is our problem - they are regional.
So we are left with El Pilar and May 1st as possible dates for summit which might suit all.  All other national holidays are at the wrong time of the year in terms of weather (inc. Nov1) , Easter being a no-no for ecotourism people.

Clive suggests that August is another possibility. Problem - the heat. We would probably be beaten indoors by the sun.

Hey! This seems to be a dialogue between three people. What do other forummers think?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 22:24 PM by glennie »

Offline glennie

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2009, 22:48 PM »
Re. this thread.

Posts should be as to-the-point and as unbloated as possible if we want other time-pressed forummers to participate. Otherwise, many just won't read it.

I shall try to take my own medicine in this respect.

Offline nick

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
    • Iberianature
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2009, 13:21 PM »
I can't commit to August at the moment. Don't know what my plans are going to be yet. April or May is fine for me.
Nick
http://iberianature.com/barcelona/history-of-barcelona/spanish-civil-war-tour-in-barcelona/
Spanish Civil War Tours in Barcelona
http://www.iberianature.com/
A guide to the environment, climate, wildlife, & nature of Spain
The Amazon/Forum Bookshop - lend us a hand
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/shop/index.htm
And also now The Natural History of Britain
http://iberianature.com/brita

Simon

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2009, 10:00 AM »
Following on from Glennie's comments about the lack of puentes next year, I'm beginning to come round to the idea of planning a Summit this autumn, on the Puente del Pilar (October 12), which falls on a Monday this year. The advantages are that we may be in time for the rut on the Serra de Boumort, which in the past has been crawling with red deer, and it will definitely be perfect for the autumn colours, especially in the Aigüestortes side of the Parc Nacional.

Problems: Cal Navarre might well be booked already; Casa Rafela might be booked (or I hope it is, it's my 'day job' after all!); are we too soon for another Summit?

Camping is a possibility but it will be cold at night and there are issues around catering/dining facilities if, as Glennie says, folks want to all cook together, etc. rather than be provided for.

At Nick's suggestion I'm going to write a 'Page' on my blog with all the details, a sort of home page for IbNatCat. But that will have to wait a bit as I'm off on my travels again (in about an hour :speechless:)

Can all interested parties begin to get together on this one. I'll be going up to Tremp this weekend, for the first time in over a month, and I'd like to be able to give the Cal Navarre guys at least some idea of what's happening - and I think we'd really have to commit very soon about Pilar, if it's not too late already!

Regs

Simon
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 10:08 AM by Simon »

Offline glennie

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2009, 12:43 PM »
I'd be interested in doing something for El Pilar. It isn't too soon for me. And of course it doesn't mean that there can't also be another gathering next spring for those that want/can go.

I don't think it has to be the case that we cook together, though some might prefer it from the financial point of view. That might be a preference, but being provided for, if we could all eat together, would be another option.

We definitely need a commitment from forumites and then, once we have some options, the possibility of voting on them.

Simon

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2009, 19:22 PM »
Hi Guys and Gals,

Here is the new topic: Iberianature Catalonia Summit - Pre-Pyrenees, October 2009

Hope you like it!

Simon