Iberianature Forum

European Elections... Who to vote for?

• 22 Replies

Offline John C

• Birding in Cadiz Province
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 17:08 PM »
Well, having voted in every single elect for which I've been eligible, I'm surprised that Clive's never exercised his right to do so, but then the Cantelos were described as 'notorious' Chartists in the 1800s!  Here in the UK I cast my vote for the Greens.  It helped that the 'local' candidate is Dr Caroline Lucas who I has campaigned on various issues close to me heart.  I was surprised to find at work a number of colleagues, mainly left of centre, also voted Green - several doing so fo the first time. 

Along with many others I feel ashamed that my country is now represented in Europe by two MEPs belonging to the odious BNP.  I know that, as a firm believer in democracy, I shouldn't say so, but the widely distributed photo of Nick Griffin (leader of the BNP) getting an egg in his face this week cheered me up immensely!

John

Offline glennie

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 17:57 PM »
You posted a few seconds before me Glennie. interesting what you say... It is certainly the case that people have voted for the party they least dislike rather than the one who's beliefs they support... But, maybe it has always been like this?

I just hope we don't start to go the way of the Weimar Republic. With traditional parties in some EU states apparently unable to address the problems that they themselves often seem to be a part of, others offering simple solutions may begin to look attractive. That doesn't seem to be happening in Spain yet I'm pleased to say.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 18:10 PM by glennie »

Offline elmussol

• els Mussols
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 23:21 PM »
Good job I came across this thread way too late to comment. Comments on 'democracy' at a later time I think.  >:D

OK just one then... Just a comment to John C:
Well, having voted in every single elect for which I've been eligible, I'm surprised that Clive's never exercised his right to do so...

If one believes in 'parliamentary democracy' (which I don't), this right is also surely the right to choose not to?

pault
pault's blurb: location: Xerta, Tarragona province, Catalunya
talks tech, eco stuff & politics