Iberianature Forum

Please identify this?

• 2 Replies

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« on: April 19, 2007, 20:38 PM »
This has just popped up near the house - kind of surprised given it is April. Im used to this sort of stuff in November.
SueMac
SueMac

Now mainly blogging on www.suevista.blogspot.com Vistas from Afar - A European Garden Blog

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 03:29 AM »
Greetings SueMac,
Some kind of puffball such as Lycoperdon perlatum (but it isn't) or even an earth ball Scleroderma spp but I don't think any of these would be found in the kind of soil which features in your pic.

Maybe L. umbrinum?

Or a Bovista:
B. aestivalis (can grow more or less anywhere)
B. plumbea: (the most commonly found Bovista in Spain)

Disciseda bovista
D. candida

Calvatia cyathiformis (turns violet or purple with age)

Handkea excipuliformis (Pestle-shaped puffball)
H. utriformis (Mosaic puffball)

Will keep searching for a more positive ID.
Regs.
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 09:43 AM »
Thanks Technopat
Dont be too fooled by the soil  as this was where they made the concrete for the pool.  Its a gritty sand.  Underneath it is very grey shaly.
I have spotted some other very small fungi around too down in the gullies. I will try to capture those too. 

The only edible one that has been identified by a local spanish person is the one that grows at the base of the canaca, the thing that looks like fennel but isnt. Thats tasty, very very tasty - but comes in November.

SueMac
SueMac

Now mainly blogging on www.suevista.blogspot.com Vistas from Afar - A European Garden Blog