Iberianature Forum

Why can't we have access to the forum members' list?

• 4 Replies

Offline glennie

« on: June 07, 2009, 20:22 PM »
Trying to send a PM to Tree. ...  I am not allowed to see the members' list! ...How am I supposed to PM her then?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 07:59 AM by glennie »

Offline Petrea

• Cómpeta - Axarquía
    • Cómpeta Naturaleza
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 20:53 PM »
Look  in the "Trees" forum, where you will find a post by Tree. Click on "Tree", and you get to the profile, where you can send a message.

Could be smarter!  ??? I guess the idea is that you reply directly to a post.

Hope this is useful

Petrea
Cómpeta Naturaleza,  http://picasaweb.google.com/104328707567851681445

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.   (Thomas R. Dewar)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 23:58 PM »
This forum is kept safe and secure... The reason none of you get spammed, hacked or otherwise abused is because I spend a lot of time keeping the forum secure...

One of the biggest problems with forums is the member lists being harvested by spam bots... (Spam bots also search for emails in posts...) As many members seem unable to secure their own accounts from their own forum profile it is easier to simply not have a member list visible to all and sundry... Member privacy is a high priority on this forum...

As Petrea says, just find a post by the person you want to PM and click on their name. In the profile you will see a link to message them and also their email address if they have allowed it to be visible from their profile settings... This is secure because only a registered member can see the profile of another member and send PMs to them...

Another problem with forums is badly worded post titles like this one... It makes it useless for other members as it will never be found in any search results easily
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 00:11 AM by Clive »
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline glennie

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 08:03 AM »
Thanks to you both and apologies for the original title (now remedied).

I am on other large forums where there is access to the members' list but that list does not contain email addresses.

I know that I can send a PM if I find a post by someone. I don't know how to find a post by someone - needle in a haystack job if that person does not post frequently. And it seems that Search cannot be used for finding names (of posters).

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 10:16 AM »
Thanks Glennie,

To the right of the search box at the top you will see the words "Advanced search". Click that and search for user name....

The profile of a person is still only 1, 2 or 3 clicks away depending on how you do it...
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey