Iberianature Forum

Truffles

• 12 Replies

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« on: April 20, 2007, 22:33 PM »
Dear All,
my husband Mike has been ruminating lately on the lack of, or ignorance of, truffles in our area and Spain in general. I thought this may be the place to ask. Do we have the right trees, soil etc? What are the necessary growing conditions?
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline steveT

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 23:00 PM »
Lisa,

I know people who were sold wild truffles when they where NW of Siguenza....some years ago.

SteveT

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 08:25 AM »
Hi Lisa
Much to my shock last weekend a spanish visitor knew exactly where to find truffles and in fact the husband used his nose to direct him to where to dig. With regard to taste no idea. They smelt very earthy.

Anyway this does explalin why we have so many nocturnal visits from the boar I suppose. However I intend to get to the bottom of this................. ;)
SueMac
SueMac

Now mainly blogging on www.suevista.blogspot.com Vistas from Afar - A European Garden Blog

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 09:20 AM »
Thanks SteveT and SueMac. I've seen the references to truffles in Catalonia, and now Guadalajara and down south. Wonder why there isn't the fuss made of them as in an adjoining country? Do they grow under a certain kind of oak? Mike thinks he may be on to (yet another) get-rich-quick scheme.
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 12:30 PM »
No oaks by us Lisa! Ps Been watching Bonellis eagle this morning
SueMac
SueMac

Now mainly blogging on www.suevista.blogspot.com Vistas from Afar - A European Garden Blog

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 00:13 AM »
Greetings SueMac, Lisa, respective hubbies and All,

Came across a Sp. forum on 'shrooms ('orrible format - not at all dignified like wot ours is) and on the following link, http://foro.meteored.com/index.php/topic,57499.210.html 'bout third of the way down, and continuing over the next couple of pages, some interesting pics. and discussion, if you can wade your way through the waffle.

Regs.
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 07:27 AM »
Thanks Technopat, excellent info. Waffle? Surely not???
Hadn't looked at that forum before assuming it was just about the weather. Also found a link for cxrc - see http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php?topic=261.0
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 07:36 AM by lisa »
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 19:32 PM »
That was great TP but does anyone know what the flower is - the hongo looks like the ones they had found below us.  Maybe its not nose at all except following scent of flower.
SueMac
SueMac

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 22:25 PM »
You have to persevere on to the following page where someone correctly identifies the plant as a cistus and goes on to say that certain "trufas" parasitise on certain varieties of the plant.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 22:59 PM »
If that is the case the only cistus around here is the rock rose. SueMac
SueMac

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 23:20 PM »
Greetings All,
Truffle - waffle - it all boils down to the same thing, dunnit - either you can or cannot eat it?
But in any case, both belong to another board: food and tapas.
Regs.
Technopat

Ps.
It's all a matter of whether he nose what he's looking for! Ooops!
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 10:20 AM »
Hi SueMac and all,
there are many species of rockrose (Cistaceae) in Spain. I suspect the one that your friend found the "hongo" under was gum cistus, Cistus ladanifer and some Spanish names, Jara Cistus, Jara común, Jara de las cinco, Jara del ládano, Jara negra, Jara pringosa because it's particularly fragrant and perfume is made from the gum. Here's a link for some pic's;

http://www.cistuspage.org.uk/Cistus%20ladanifer.htm

Eat it no, wear it yes.
(I can still picture your friend sniffing the ground though.)
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline SueMac

• Susan Bearder
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2007, 21:43 PM »
I attach a piccie of our rock rose  when it was at its best in Feb
SueMac
SueMac