Iberianature Forum

'Loja Wildlife' by Mick

• 45 Replies

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« on: June 25, 2009, 00:25 AM »
Well done Mick for keeping us informed of the wildlife around the Granada area and beyond, covering its changes through the seasons with terrific use of images to transport us to the site.
Although based around Loja - Granada, Mick also travels further afield, such as Sierra de las Nieves, Sierra de Grazalema, the lagoons around Fuente de Piedra and even Doñana National Park.

The Loja Wildlife site covers a range of the flora and fauna that Mick discovers during his tours - including birds, wild flowers, butterflies and dragonflies.
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com

Offline mick

• Granada Wildlife
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 16:55 PM »
Hi Sue and All.

Sorry its taken me so long to get back to you and say thanks for the great comments but its a bit warm here at the moment and the PCs in the hottest part of the house.  I have added a few more articles since you last viewed the site including a couple of Moth trapping nights and a day or two in the Sierra Nevada looking at the endemic plants.

Many thanks Mick.
MICK RICHARDSON.

WILDLIFE GUIDE IN WESTERN GRANADA PROVINCE, BIRDS, BUTTERFLIES, DRAGONFLIES AND ORCHIDS.

PLEASE HAVE A LOOK AT THE WE SITE & BLOG WITH MORE PHOTOGRAPHS AT www.granadawildlife.com  or   www.lojawildlife.com

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 07:37 AM »
I hadn't spotted this Mick. Lovely photos of what we on the forum know to be diligently identified animal and plant species. I'm particularly interested in seeing the flowering plants of the Sierra Nevada and your latest ones are very pretty. And a face to a name too!
 :clapping:
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline mick

• Granada Wildlife
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 12:36 PM »
Hi Lisa.

Thanks for the comments, I have been very lucky to have met a couple of very knowledgeable Spanish Naturalist over the last couple of years and they have a great number of cracking sites and species which they take me to see.
The plants up the Sierra Nevada are fantastic and it is fairy easy to get towards the summit on the mini bus but the day hunting on the slopes and screes still takes it toll on the legs.
Yes, sorry about the photo but I do need something on the site to scare the kids away.

All the best Mick.
MICK RICHARDSON.

WILDLIFE GUIDE IN WESTERN GRANADA PROVINCE, BIRDS, BUTTERFLIES, DRAGONFLIES AND ORCHIDS.

PLEASE HAVE A LOOK AT THE WE SITE & BLOG WITH MORE PHOTOGRAPHS AT www.granadawildlife.com  or   www.lojawildlife.com

Offline mick

• Granada Wildlife
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 19:44 PM »
Hi All.

There have been quite a few updates, including a day looking for the Lynx.

All the best Mick.
MICK RICHARDSON.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 20:38 PM »
Wow....... :)

Well done Mick....... Glad that you saw the lynx.... Could have been a near miss though... That'll teach you to go wandering off.... !
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline mick

• Granada Wildlife
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 21:57 PM »
Hi Clive.

I will not wonder again, as you know this body is not designed for speed. Still it gets this year exercise sorted in one go!

All the best Mick.
MICK RICHARDSON.

Offline mick

• Granada Wildlife
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 17:00 PM »
Hi All.

More up dates, Including better views of the Lynx and a Wallcreeper down in the south (both on the same day).

Mick
MICK RICHARDSON.

Offline mick

• Granada Wildlife
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 12:01 PM »
Hi All.

Quite a few new post since March, including seeing some nice Sierra Nevada Emdemics and finding what is possably the first record for possitive breeding of Black-winged Kite (Elanio Común / Elanus caeruleus) in Granada Province.

Mick
MICK RICHARDSON.

Offline nick

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
    • Iberianature
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 09:22 AM »
Building up into a nice resource Mick
Nick
http://iberianature.com/barcelona/history-of-barcelona/spanish-civil-war-tour-in-barcelona/
Spanish Civil War Tours in Barcelona
http://www.iberianature.com/
A guide to the environment, climate, wildlife, & nature of Spain
The Amazon/Forum Bookshop - lend us a hand
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/shop/index.htm
And also now The Natural History of Britain
http://iberianature.com/brita

Offline Maria

• Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 12:23 PM »
Hi Mick

I follow your blog regularly, loads of information and fantastic photos, great stuff. Wish I could get out as often as you, usually when im out we are slogging up some mountain or other and photos come last  >:(

Looks like the Sierra Nevada is heading for snow all year, how will this affect the wildlife? We were climbing snow that is 10m deep (in fact we were climbing on what would normally be fresh air) below 3000m around the Cerro de Caballo area just 3 days ago! Lots of flowers on the lower slopes, really pretty.

Maria

Offline mick

• Granada Wildlife
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 19:46 PM »
Hi Maria.

Thanks for the nice comments, I do try to get as many photographs as possable but as you say its not always easy. I can only assume that the plants will remain dormant until the snow clears, may be for some years and mammals and birds will just stay at slightly lower altitudes. Its global warming and Spanish desertification for you, we have had more snow and rain than in the last 40 tears, once the experts start say what’s going to happen you can guarantee that Mother Nature will prove them wrong.

Mick.
MICK RICHARDSON.

Offline mick

• Granada Wildlife
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 16:59 PM »
Hi All.

Just a quick note to say that there have been a few more posts including a few photo's of Sierra Nevada endemic plants.

Mick.

Photo below is a Spring Gentian subsp found in the Sierra.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 17:01 PM by mick »
MICK RICHARDSON.

Offline mick

• Granada Wildlife
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 19:34 PM »
Hi again All.

I have now got some decent shots of the Orange-winged Dropwing and they are on the blog below.

Mick.
MICK RICHARDSON.

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 20:03 PM »
Nice dragons Mick............and Sam!  :)
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline mick

• Granada Wildlife
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 14:17 PM »
Hi Lisa.

Thanks for the comment, the Orange-winged Dropwing took some time to get a decent shot but eventually I found a slightly lazy one who was a bit more reluctant to fly.
Yes Sam does pose well already, he must get that bit from his Dad but luckily he got his looks from his Mom.

Thanks Mick.
MICK RICHARDSON.

Offline mick

• Granada Wildlife
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 16:41 PM »
Hi All

There are a few new updates to the blog including a day in Sierra Morena with views of a family group of five Lynx!!

All the best Mick
MICK RICHARDSON.

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 08:17 AM »
How exciting, five lynx! Photo of "jobbies" please Mick.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 15:55 PM »
What a great day Mick, well done for persisting despite the fog!
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com

Offline mick

• Granada Wildlife
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 16:21 PM »
Hi Lisa and Sue

Thanks for the comments, it was a truly fantastic sight. I thought that we had done OK with just the two cubs but when the whole family turned up I was over the moon. It was only a shame I was using a new camera and do not yet have the adaptor for it as it is in the post between the UK and here some where.
I have attached a photo of the Poo but not sure whether it is Lynx but it does fit the discription.

Mick.
MICK RICHARDSON.