Iberianature Forum

Leishmans in dogs

• 6 Replies

Offline campochick

• Casagalesa
« on: August 23, 2009, 11:48 AM »
My dog had to be put down in Feb as he started to have a severe nose bleed, and it wouldn´t stop, so we took him straight to our vets and he said he had Leishmans, there were only a few signs over the months that showed he wasn´t well, loss of appetite, weight loss, struggling to get up off the floor onto his back legs, we put it down to age as he was nearly 11 years old. He also wretched a lot. The vet examined him a few months before he died but said he was fine, just getting old. It was an awful thing to see him go through. All of our dogs wear collars and we know they only give 95% protection. Has anyone else suffered the same fate did your dog have the same syptoms. We know lots of people in our area who's dogs don't wear the collars for protection.
Check out www.casagalesa.com a Beautiful 1 Bedroom Cottage that sleeps up to 4 people. Set in a quiet rural location surrounded by Carob,Olive,Almond,Fig trees and wild Lavender  a truly chill out place to be. We also have 2 Double rooms on a B@B basis in our main home.

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 13:37 PM »
Hi im really sorry to hear about your dog. If you have a look at the domestic animals and pets section you will find lots of stuff about leishmaniosis

Anti tick treatment
and
Scalibor collars & leishamiasis
and
leishmaniasis

Unfortunately there are many of us who have gone through what you have. I have written a piece on my personal blog to.

I hope you will find some answers.

Maria

Offline StripeyCat

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 13:24 PM »
There is a new vaccine for leishmaniasis, it consists of a test, to see if your dog is free of the disease, then two or three injections over the next few months. Sorry, I can't remember the exact details. The cost, including the initial test, ranges from 120E to 180E - this is for the full course. Yes, it is quite expensive but when you consider the cost of scalibor collars and advantix, [let alone the cost and stress & heart-ache if your dog goes down with this awful disease] it may be worth considering.

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 10:20 AM »
My dog is now fully vaccinated. Its 3 injections 3 weeks apart and costs (around here) €50 per injection. Followed by a yearly booster. Well worth every cent I think.  :santa_afro:

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 09:22 AM »
Hi everyone,
this is a question that I have received by email, can anyone update Patricia before she travels to Valencia to stay for the winter please....
regards,
Sue

I've just read here on iberianatureforum that it is inadvisable for ones' dog to wear his Scalibor collar at the same time of being vaccinated against Leishmaniasis. Since Charlie will be wearing his Scalibor collar and I hope to have him vaccinated at a vets near Calais as we arrive from the UK, had I not read this advice I would not have known to remove the collar. I'd be grateful for your knowledge on this aspect.
Also, can you tell me what you know about the Leishmaniasis vaccine. The forum mentioned that you have to give your dog three vaccines and then once annually. If this is the case, can you tell me what the time spread between each shot is, and would I be able to give the first one in Calais and the follow up two in Spain. The campsite in Valencia is on the beach surrounded by miles and miles of orange groves.
I'd be grateful for any advice,
Patricia
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 12:14 PM »
Hi Sue and Patricia

Ask your vets in the UK if they have the vaccine, it would help to start getting it done asap. Your dog will need a blood test to make sure he is free from leishmaniasis because it can not be given to a dog that already has the disease. Im sure I have spoken to someone who knows someone who got their dog vaccinated in the UK before coming to Spain. It is 3 injections to be given 3 weeks apart and followed up with a yearly booster. Because the vaccine is not 100% effective (something like 96% effective) they are advising to either continue wearing the scalibor collar, or use advantix. This will then give the dog way over 100% protection. All our dogs are now vaccinated and have had no ill effects from the injections. I still use advantix on mine because one is a husky and the coat is too thick for the scaclibor collar to be effective. Hope this helps.

Maria

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 21:32 PM »
Sue and Maria: thank you both for your helpful advice regarding the Leishmaniasis vaccine. I will be speaking to my vet here in Scotland to find out if the vaccine is available here, and if so, the procedure for Charlie to be vaccinated. I also want Charlie to have the heartworm vaccine, Guardian SR. I understand that these two vaccines should not be administered relatively close to each other. So I need to find out more about that. Such a worry bringing one's dog to southern Europe. But we're heading for a very, cold winter here and it will be wonderful to have some sun, which has been very much in short supply this summer.
Patricia

-----------------
Thanks for your advice Maria,
Patricia, lets hope that your local vet can start you off with the vaccinations,
kind regards
Sue
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com