Iberianature Forum

looking for Iberia-focussed gardening book

• 3 Replies

Offline elmussol

• els Mussols
« on: September 03, 2009, 15:03 PM »
Hi all

Part of our project at Els Mussols is to try and grow as much of our food as we can. We are starting small, but my partner, Ben, is an enthusiastic gardener and as you might expect, we have a fair few books of organic gardening, composting etc, but they are all written on the assumption than the reader lives in the British Isles.

I've had a browse round the Iberianature Bookshop, but can't find what I'm looking for (I acknowledge it may not exist). Which is:

A book or diary/calendar (probably organic in orientation) in English, English & Spanish or Spanish (in order of preference) about growing vegetables and fruit in Iberia. This should be fairly detailed in terms of planting and harvesting times (this is the most important aspect), spacing, potential pests etc.

Any recommendations?

pault
pault's blurb: location: Xerta, Tarragona province, Catalunya
talks tech, eco stuff & politics

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 18:04 PM »
Hi Pault,

Try Dick and Clodagh's gardening website.... They have been gardening in Spain for many years and write for newspapers about the subject and have books available from their website...
http://gardeninginspain.com/
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline elvis

• Safetycat
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 17:31 PM »
Hiya Pault,

yes, i've got their 2 books on growing fruit and veg. I think they would be what you're looking for.
They are geared for a bit further south , but have lots of really good info... (some repeated in both books) but also the fruit and veg growing specific spanish vocabulary which is helpful!
They say you can use the warmer autumn/winter as a second growing season, and have a calendar of what to grow when..

I haven't put them to use yet, but am planning too!

cheers
elvina

Offline elmussol

• els Mussols
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 17:55 PM »
yes, i've got their 2 books on growing fruit and veg. I think they would be what you're looking for.

Two recommendations are enough for me. They've just been ordered! Thanks to both for replying.

pault
pault's blurb: location: Xerta, Tarragona province, Catalunya
talks tech, eco stuff & politics