Iberianature Forum

Images on the forum

• 30 Replies

Simon

« on: April 28, 2007, 18:25 PM »
Hi,

This may be just me but may be applicable to more Iberios. I can't seem to post images onto the forum. I've tried cutting and pasting and I've tried the options below, but absolutely nothing happens. Can you help me on this one?

Simon

Offline nick

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
    • Iberianature
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 18:46 PM »
Hi Simon,

Either:

Go to additional opitions and attach image. Max size 120k.
Do you have Photoshop of something similar?

Or
If the image is already on the internet, click on the second icon on the left and paste in address

Cheers
Nick
Nick
http://iberianature.com/barcelona/history-of-barcelona/spanish-civil-war-tour-in-barcelona/
Spanish Civil War Tours in Barcelona
http://www.iberianature.com/
A guide to the environment, climate, wildlife, & nature of Spain
The Amazon/Forum Bookshop - lend us a hand
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/shop/index.htm
And also now The Natural History of Britain
http://iberianature.com/brita

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 19:32 PM »
Hola,

If you are having trouble re sizing an image to below 120K you can email it to me and I will prepare it and upload it for you. Just tell me which board you want it uploading to or if it's a new topic what heading you want

email address is in my profile

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Simon

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 08:32 AM »
OK, here goes with the attatchment instruction:

Simon

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 08:34 AM »
Bingo I think!

This was scheduled for the tree identifying competition. I'll now spend a happy morning rounding up some other images I've ben promising people! And avoiding work on that b****** novel - again!

Cheers

Simon

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 11:19 AM »
Hola,

Simon you can make the images a bit bigger than that test one you did. Set the image width to 400 or 500 pixels...Then when we click on the thumbnail the expanded image is more identifiable..

Good luck

Clive

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Simon

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 11:42 AM »
Hi Clive,

I'll try, meanwhile I've posted a couple of new images, are they any better?

Si

Simon

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 11:48 AM »
Back to the drawing board I guess, my new images aren't loading at all, too big I think.

How do I modify the image width?

Si

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 12:04 PM »
Hola,

What program are you using for your image viewing and editing Simon?

Clive

Simon

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 07:04 AM »
I've been cuting sections of the images from Mac Iphoto and then saving the pasted images from the clipboard in Preview to jpg.

Si

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 10:06 AM »
Hola,

I don't know the mac software but you need to look at the image properties. Somewhere there will be a place where you can change stuff..

Crop your image first of all so that it looks how you want it
image resolution...set it to 72 dpi
image size set to 400 pixels width (if it is a portrait) or 500 width (if it is a scenery)

Always work on a copy of the original image! Never alter the original........

Clive

Simon

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 12:00 PM »
A big thanks Clive, I'll work on it again soon I promise!

Simes

Offline Jill

• Jill Dickin Schinas
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 00:32 AM »
I don't know the mac software but you need to look at the image properties. Somewhere there will be a place where you can change stuff..

• To find out how big an image (or other file) is on a Mac, right-click on it and choose "Get Info". This opens the Info panel, and at the top right of this panel it shows the size. Not the physical dimensions of the image; the amount of space it takes up, which is what you're interested in here. (For those of you who haven't yet seen the light got a Mac, this panel is equivalent to the Properties panel on Windows.)
  • To crop an image, open it with Preview, drag from the top-left to bottom-right of the desired area, and press Cmd-K. Then press Cmd-Shift-S to save as.
  • To resize an image, open it with ColorSync and click the Resize button (this looks like an image inside a square, with arrows pointing out at each corner). In the drop-down box which is set to "Scale", select either Width or Height, and enter the number of pixels you would like the width or height to be. Set "change dpi" to 72 and prees enter. Pess Cmd+Shift+s to save as.
    I have actually written a program for easily resizing entire folders of photos (and optionally changing the format), but it's got a bug and isn't always working properly, and I'm too busy to fix it at the moment. If you want to try it I'll email it to you, but I can't guarantee that it will work!

In case you don't know how to open a file in a specific program (as opposed to the default) : right-click on it and move the mouse over Open With. A list of programs will appear.

Disclaimer : (by special request)
It's not my fault if you blow your computer up! :D

Caesar (Jill's son)
I'll have to sign up for my own username sometime, I suppose. I don't know much about wildlife, though, so you'll probably only ever see me in "Computers"!

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 01:37 AM »
Greetings Caesar,
So who on this forum knows anything 'bout wildlife?
Well, OK, apart from Sue and Nick and SueMac and Dave and Lisa and Clive and steveT and Lucy and Simon and Tore and Roxanne and Jill (oh yeah, you know those two) and just about everybod' else (sorry if I haven't mentioned YOU personally, but at the last count there were 75 of you out there and it's really late at night now ...), as I said, apart from them, not many of us know much 'bout wildlife and bichos an' stuff - but that why we're here (well, at least I am).

Welcome on board (isn't that what you seafarers/sea dogs say? - or do they only say that on British Airways?)

Regs.
Technopat

Ps.
I saw the light, as you say, 'bout fifteen years ago and have a PowerBook 190cs (with Eudora 1.1 installed!) and an iMac, both of which I still use more or less regularly - trouble is our ADSL connection is on Mrs T's PC. But as soon as I can convince Mrs T. that it's time to buy yet another computer (haven't thrown in the towel yet), you can bet your **** that it'll be another Mac!

Pps.
Looking forward to hearing that you've got those exams under your belt! As they say in Spain ¡A por ellos!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 01:40 AM by Technopat »
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Simon

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 07:26 AM »
Thank-you, thank-you, thannk-you, Clive, Techno and especially Caesar!!!

Here goes

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 08:05 AM »
Well worth the perseverence Simon.
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2007, 10:15 AM »
Hola,

well done Simon. Look forward to seeing lots of pictures to identify in the respective boards!

Clive

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2007, 12:29 PM »
Greetings Simon,
Great pics!
Now that you've successfully implemented all that gobbledy-gook from the techies (representing two different Life philosophies - Creationists and Evolutionists?), I hope you'll be able to put it into words of one syllable for me for when I get round to buying my own digital camera (although I suspect that by that time they will have developed some sort of fibre optical thing that just relays the image in real time onto the desktop - don't pinch it, it's patented!).

Have been slightly concerned over the past few weeks by your (veiled) threats to flood the forum with pics. - please be considerate and remember that those of us who have yet to learn to be telegraphic need most of our spare time just to get up to date with the normal day-to-day stuff, and that you've still got that novel to finish off (start?), i.e. just one board at a time, please!

Regs.
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Simon

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2007, 19:18 PM »
I don't think you have anything at all to worry about on these scores!

Saimon

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2007, 23:47 PM »
Greetings All,
Great, innit! There I was, strolling through the Retiro this chilly autumn morning chatting with a friend and right in front of me was a beaut. of a 'shroom growing out of a tree trunk with clouds of spores flowing in the wind. Not having any digital camera on me - no, my cellphone does not incorporate one, either - I asked my friend to take a pic. for the benefit of all youse iberianatureforumers and send it to me by email. So far, so good. Now have 'shroom (beautiful plumage) sitting on my escritorio, but this 'ere Technopat has so far been unable to follow simple instructions :banghead: on this thread as to how to post it - haven't decided whether to do so on the 'shroom board or on the tree board.

Don't really want to take up anyone's time by sending it on the PMS or whatever it's called, but can y'all really afford to miss out on Technopat's first pic. contribution to iberianatureforum?

Slightly-embarrassed-regs.-and-looking-forward-to-simple-instructions-in-words-of-not-more-than-one-syllable,
Technopat