Iberianature Forum

Images on the forum

• 30 Replies

Simon

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2007, 07:51 AM »
Hi Teeps,

This is really wierd, a half-wit like me helping someone out teckiie-wise, but I kept Cear's excellelt advise for my own (frequent!) reference! So here goes:

"Crop your image first of all so that it looks how you want it
image resolution...set it to 72 dpi
image size set to 400 pixels width (if it is a portrait) or 500 width (if it is a scenery)
sizing an image to below 120K   

* To find out how big an image (or other file) is on a Mac, right-click on it and choose "Get Info". This opens the Info panel, and at the top right of this panel it shows the size. Not the physical dimensions of the image; the amount of space it takes up, which is what you're interested in here. (For those of you who haven't yet seen the light got a Mac, this panel is equivalent to the Properties panel on Windows.)

* To crop an image, open it with Preview, drag from the top-left to bottom-right of the desired area, and press Cmd-K. Then press Cmd-Shift-S to save as.

* To resize an image, open it with ColorSync and click the Resize button (this looks like an image inside a square, with arrows pointing out at each corner). In the drop-down box which is set to "Scale", select either Width or Height, and enter the number of pixels you would like the width or height to be. Set "change dpi" to 72 and prees enter. Pess Cmd+Shift+s to save as.

I have actually written a program for easily resizing entire folders of photos (and optionally changing the format), but it's got a bug and isn't always working properly, and I'm too busy to fix it at the moment. If you want to try it I'll email it to you, but I can't guarantee that it will work!

In case you don't know how to open a file in a specific program (as opposed to the default) : right-click on it and move the mouse over Open With. A list of programs will appear.

Disclaimer : (by special request)
It's not my fault if you blow your computer up! Cheesy

Caesar (Jill's son)
I'll have to sign up for my own username sometime, I suppose. I don't know much about wildlife, though, so you'll probably only ever see me in "Computers"!"

Just a little addition of my own, it was only after I started posting the odd image that I found out that on a Mac you simply have to drag the folder over the ColourSync Untility icon for it to open itself in that format! Just another of those little Mac things!

Looking forward to the shroom

Regs

Simes

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2007, 12:43 PM »
Greetings Simon,
Weirdness knows no bounds!
Many thanx for your attempt at being techie - foiled by my inability to be so. Hardly a day goes by without me having to regret lack of internet connection on my Macs and cursing Microsoft in general and Windows 98, in particular, in the same breath.
B. that as it m., my problem here is even more basic than simply trying to reformat/crop/resize the thing - can't get my 'shroom to move from desktop to iberianatureforum post page. Click and drag/Drag and drop or whatever is useless.  :banghead:

Methinks am destined to never enjoy the accolades your good self received from fellow and fellowess iberianatureforumers, such as this one from Clive:

well done Simon. Look forward to seeing lots of pictures to identify in the respective boards!

or this even more encouraging one from Lisa:
Well worth the perseverence Simon.

or this uncharacteristically escueto (Sp. anyone?) one from Technopat:
Great pics!

Mind you, revenge is sweet, and I can loll :biggrin: about enjoying the irony of you lot missing out on what was to have been Technopat's first graphic display as an iberianatureforumer :technodevil:.

(Bitter)sweet regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Simon

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2007, 13:54 PM »
Hi Teeps,

Thanks for the accolades!

To get the stuff onto the server, try looking at the Additional Options below the text entry screen, then on the Attach screen use the Brouse button to search for your pic on your desktop or wherever it is filed on your contraption then just select the one you want- like wot I've just done (I hope!) and as you press post it takes a few moments more to post the image - well it does on my modem.

Then you can do more attachments up to three in total I think!

Simes

Offline Jill

• Jill Dickin Schinas
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2007, 13:58 PM »
Hullo Technopat

I can't believe that anybody as smart as you could need someone as dumb as me to tell you how to do something with a computer...! Since nobody else has answered you yet, i'll tell you how I upload photos. Someone else will probably tell you a better way, but it might do for starters.

IDIOTS GUIDE TO POSTING A PICTURE ON THE FORUM

1.) First you need to resize yourphoto so that it is small enough to upload. Since you don't have a digital camera i'll assume that you haven't done this before. If you have IrfanView, right-click on the mini-image of your photo (or even on the full size image, if you are using Vista).

2.) When it opens in Irfanview, crop the photo as necessary (click in top left corner of desired area for image and drag box to shape and size desired; press CTR + Y.)

3.) Now click on the word image in the menu bar. A menu will drop down. Click on resize. Alter the numbers in the little boxes until the larger dimension of the photo is about 500 pixels.

4.) Don't forget to save it! (I mention this, because I often do forget - and then, when I close IrfanView, I lose all these changes...) (CTR + S, or use the save option on the drop down menus. It asks you if you want to replace the original image. This is the moment at which you can give the new image a witty title - or, at any rate, a title that you will recognise. eg. Shroom resized.

5.) Write your message, and then click on the words Additional Options. This opens another little box with Browse writen beside it.

6.) Click on the  word Browse. This opens a box in the top left hand corner of your screen. Use it to gain access to the place where you have stored your photo (eg. Desktop, Documents, Computer/External Hard-drive) Rummage through your files (or whatever they're called) until you find your photo. If you are using Windows Vista it will show you a tiny image, so that you know which photo it is that you want. If XP, you'll have to remember the number or name (q.v.). If using a Mac... ask Caesar.

7.) select the appropriate image and click on the word open (bottom left hand corner). This uploads the image to the forum.

8.) Press Post ! (or Preview, if you're worried, or Browse, if you want to attach another photo. You can only fit two 500 x 500 pixel images onto one post.

Have fun!
Jill

Offline Jill

• Jill Dickin Schinas
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2007, 14:02 PM »
Sorry, I was so busy tapping away that I didn't notice page 2 of this post. ( ie Simon has already replied).

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 12:27 PM »
Greetings Simon and Jill and All,
Thanx for your easy-to-follow/user-friendly/idiots' guide to uploading pic. Have set aside time - as of this precise moment - to give you all the cheap thrill of seeing (or not, as the case may b.) Technopat's first 'shroom posting and so can look forward to at least an hour of frustration trying to get Microsoft Windows 98 or XP (or whichever *"%& version is on this PC) to do something so pathetically simple as to move one icon from one place to another :banghead:
However, as it's all for the Cause and as Spencer said, paraphrasing our Master, Old Man Darwin, it's simply a question of the survival of the fittest  :dancing: Or should that be Man Person against the Machine? 8)

If using a Mac for this wouldn't need to ask Caesar nor nobody nuffin' :technodevil:

Wish-me-luck regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline elmussol

• els Mussols
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2008, 23:20 PM »
The GIMP.

pault
pault's blurb: location: Xerta, Tarragona province, Catalunya
talks tech, eco stuff & politics

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2008, 12:38 PM »
Hi Paul
I agree, GIMP is a great free option, easy to use without any frills
Regards
Dave

Simon

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2008, 12:57 PM »
Hi Guys,

I'm really impressed with the GIMP idea, but have been rather alarmed about the paucity of information regarding running it on the Mac. I have OSX 10.4 and this seems to be incompatible as it lacks something called the x Window later, but GIMP say this can be got from the Darwin Project, but following the link this is what I get: http://www.x.org/wiki/XDarwin

I'm really into the idea of opensource software, but had a sad disappointment with Openoffice, for which I had to run OS9 in parallel, with the result that it simply didn't work at all for all intents and purposes.

So what's the real lowdown on GIMP?

Simon

Offline elmussol

• els Mussols
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2008, 23:03 PM »
I'm really impressed with the GIMP idea, but have been rather alarmed about the paucity of information regarding running it on the Mac. I have OSX 10.4 and this seems to be incompatible as it lacks something called the x Window later, but GIMP say this can be got from the Darwin Project, but following the link this is what I get: http://www.x.org/wiki/XDarwin

X11 [the standard interface thing for GNU/Linux] which is what you actually need is on your original installation DVD...

I'm really into the idea of opensource software, but had a sad disappointment with Openoffice, for which I had to run OS9 in parallel, with the result that it simply didn't work at all for all intents and purposes.

Eh? The present [and previous] versions of OpenOffice.org have always run under X11. No need to run OS9 at all. The next released version [v3] presently in beta is to run under Aqua [the default Mac OS X interface].  Note both the forum and the other place run on free and open source software [update: clarification -- I mean the webservers run FOSS].

So what's the real lowdown on GIMP?

The real lowdown is it rocks. It does 95% of what Photoshop does for free [gratis] and free [libre].

[Halts before getting into free software evangelism mode].

pault
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 23:05 PM by elmussol »
pault's blurb: location: Xerta, Tarragona province, Catalunya
talks tech, eco stuff & politics

Simon

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2008, 05:45 AM »
Hi Pault,

Thanks for the reply. I had guessed that tings would have changed regarding Openoffice and I'll thik about it. Part of my issue is that I often have to use Word for submiting work, but I'll check if that can be worked around. As I say I really like the opensoftware ethos and I'd like to 'sign-up' to it in more than just thouhts!

I've looked at the downloads on the GIMP page and it looks less threatening tis time. I'll think about it a) when it'0s ot fie am and I have a long day's work ahead and b) whenever I haven0t a long day's work ahead!!!

Thanks once again

Simon