Iberianature Forum

Image rights

• 7 Replies

Offline aj

« on: September 12, 2009, 14:29 PM »
I am not clear about this. I am building up a brochure for family with photos and data on the main denizens of my garden and surrounds,
I see that the Image gallery asks that we get permission from the owners. What about photos in the posts?
In general I have assumed on the internet that if "save image" works, then it is OK to copy. Obviously inside a forum things are a little different....
Please advise or refer me to a suitable link in the rules!

Offline Bob M

• Teflpedia
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 15:08 PM »
Others will have to speak about the rules on this forum, but I'm afraid that the idea that if "it's on the internet it's free to copy" is wrong.  Copyright always remains with the original author unless they explicitly put it in the public domain or transfer the copyright to somebody else.  Putting something on the net does not, in a legal sense, put it in the public domain.

Offline Petrea

• Cómpeta - Axarquía
    • Cómpeta Naturaleza
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 15:56 PM »
I think Bob is rigth: and the copy function usually works even with photos, which should not be copied....... :speechless:

If you limit the use to a brochure strictly for the family, then who´ll complain?  :technodevil:

« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 15:59 PM by Petrea »
Cómpeta Naturaleza,  http://picasaweb.google.com/104328707567851681445

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.   (Thomas R. Dewar)

Offline Petrea

• Cómpeta - Axarquía
    • Cómpeta Naturaleza
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 16:47 PM »
Thinking more about it: if you´re talking exclusively about photos from this forum and want to be a nice guy, then it is easy to ask permission: send a personal message by going to the profile of the owner (clik the name). At thye bottom of the profile, there is the option to send a message.

Good luck!
Cómpeta Naturaleza,  http://picasaweb.google.com/104328707567851681445

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.   (Thomas R. Dewar)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 18:06 PM »
Hi,

Petrea summed it up well..... Ask, and the answer almost always is yes..... Don't ask and the result is an angry person that just neede to be asked.... In many cases it is a principle and procedure of what I call "netiquette"

As a proffessional photographer I see my images stolen some of the time... (And it is stealing)... taking something without my permission that belongs to me.... That said, if someone asks me I almost always say yes so long as some mention is made of me and my various projects..... It's all about respect really....

Well that is the nice human way anyway.... In reality the legal aspects are mind boggling and a minefield... Even if you do use someone elses images then there isn't a lot they can do but shout loudly unless they have the cash to bring legal actions against you.....

Have you tried reading the wikipedia commoms license stuff?  I almost went blind....

Anyway, just ask the person who took the image, if not expect them to be annoyed and upsdet that you didn't.... Really the whole subject of copyright shouldn't even exists, especially with images... Did you take the image? If not, it is not yours and you shouldn't use it....

(Of course if a website clearly states that the images can be used for non profit use or whatever then fine, they gave the images away and good for them... If I used the images I would still make sure to add a thankyou and link to the original source)...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 18:13 PM by Clive »
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline ladena

• Hay tantos caminos por andar...
    • River Ebro Apartments
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 00:17 AM »
aj  - You may find it useful to read these links:

http://webdesign.about.com/od/copyright/a/aa081700a.htm
http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/copyright_myths

Copyright of any work or image is automatic. You don't have to register copyright but sometimes people do so in order to have "proof"  should there be a dispute. There does seem to be a pervasive belief that the rules are different on the internet.

I have the above links on my own website after several instances of other holiday home owners in our area helping themselves to images and text from our website. In most cases the owners genuinely thought - as you did - that anything on the internet was "free to use".

Hope it helps

Dena

www.riverebroapartments.com
Accommodation in the Ebro Valley for walkers, birdwatchers, anglers and nature-lovers

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 09:54 AM »
If people dont want their photos taken off the net why dont they put a watermark on them  :noidea: would solve all problems then

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 11:49 AM »
People do use watermarks all the time but really there should be no need... Like I said if you didn't take the picture and you haven't asked the person who did if you can use it then.. Then it is not yours to use...

Also for water marks.. If I really wanted to steal an image I could pretty much edit it out anyway and remove all trace....
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey