Iberianature Forum

You'll be sorrel for ths caper!

• 4 Replies

Simon

« on: September 14, 2009, 06:45 AM »
Mornin' all,

I seem to have been travelling all summer long, but one of the bonuses of my travails travels has been to sample the local grub wherever I went. One speciality I found in Murcia's excellent city market was tallos;  small leafy stems 'pickled' in vinegary brine. The lady in the stall told me that these were the from the caper plant, and inded there was a bowl of alcaparas alongside. She went on to show somethig else I hadn't seen before; capparónes, or the 'fruit' of the caper (the capers themselves are the bud on the stem of the plant, which goes on to form the flowers and, in due course the fruit).

Needless to say I bought a sample after having had a tasting. The tallos are slighly bitter in a ferric, spinachy way, whereas the caparones have a more-ish sweetness. Looking it all up on Wilipedia I found that tallos are in fact sorrel stems, so maybe my market lady was wrong. I'd like not to think so, therefore can anyone throw some more light onto this?

She also said that tallos is only found in Muricia and I've certainly never seen them before in all of my long years here. Again, does anyone have a view? Here's a pretty picture, the dish is about 20 centimetres long. Funnily enough, when I got round to taking the pcture, all of the capparónes were gone!

Regs

Simon

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 11:47 AM »
Greetings Simon,
Personally, and when it comes to traditional dishes, recipes, and local names for fish, fruit & veg., I'd believe what the stall-lady told you/me - and that sorry-looking soggy stalk/stem on yer plate does indeed look more like the leaves of the caper bush (this Wikipedia pic. is pretty good]) than a sorrel leaf (compare with this other image, also from Wikipedia).

Thanks for explaining what had happened to the capparónes on the dish - I thought for an awful moment that minmalist cooking/la nueva cocina had struck an all-time low...

Do-let-us-know-what-else-your-research-brings-up-except-for-your-lunch,-that-is,-there's-more-than-enough-scatology-on-this-'re-family-forum-as-it-is regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 22:18 PM »
Hi there,
that does look like a thorn under the last leaf (to the right) capers do have thorns, so like TP i'd trust the Lady (makes a change TP!)
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 00:20 AM »
Greetings María and Sue,
Technopat, ever the Parfait whatchamacallit, will always trust a Lady - I shall leave it at that lest I meto la pata (Sp. anyone?) :dancing:

Survival-of-the-fittest-is-the-name-of-the-game regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Simon

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 11:18 AM »
Mornin' all,

I'm rather glad that you all agree with my market lady that the tallos are caper stems after all - I'm much more in favour of human expertise that boring old Wikipedia!

Meanwhile, I found some capparónes (see below) in my local PlusFresc - a very ordinary super by any standard - so they're not a rarity at least! Have any of you cosmopolitan types in the Capital(s) found tallos for sale? I'm sure Barcelona's 'La Boqueria' should be able to come up with them; it could do with some better publicity about the products (and, shall we say, 'services') on offer there of late  :technodevil:

Regs

Simon