Iberianature Forum

Moltes Felicitats Simon!

• 12 Replies

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« on: September 16, 2009, 01:02 AM »
:sign:¡Que cumplas muchos más! or Per molts anys! and Bon aniversari! and Moltes Felicitats! :dancing:  :clapping: :dancing:  :clapping:  :sign:

as we polyglots in Madrid always say to each other when no-one's looking  :technodevil:

It might interest you to know that I have it on good authority that two illustrious members of the Madrid Fraction, who shall be nameless, happen to be meeting up for a drink plot chat this evening, but will, out of deference to Your Good Self, drink to yer 'ealth. *

And if one of 'em can convince t'other to pop over to the Indian in front of the Prado (wouldn't that be a great name for a restaurant?), so much the better...

Hope-you-have-a-good-one regs.,
Technopat
PS.
As a B-day treat for you, I'm sure the admins won't really mind if I bend the rules slightly regarding the family-forumness of this 'ere great etc., especially in view of the obvious efforts I made in not going off topic too much over on the weather thread, graciously refraining from resorting to my knowledge of the Spanish vernacular.** It has now been confirmed to me by two separate and usually reliable sources that there is no "correct" way of saying 'saddle-sore' in Spanish. What all Spanish cyclists say when they get off their mounts under such circumstaces is Tengo el culo como un mono pelao - in reference to that curious primate, the baboon. Are you sure Darwin was right 'bout us being related to those things?

*Courtesy of Lisa, to whom I shall be eternally grateful
**Another reason I'm sure they won't mind is that you never know when it might come in handy and they might need to resort to the expression themselves one day  :booklook:
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 08:06 AM »
Happy Birthday Simon!!

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 08:50 AM »
Happy Birthday Simon from Southern Catalonia
Tony  :clapping:

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 09:16 AM »
Happy birthday to you
Squashed tomato and stew etc etc

Have a good one Simon  :P

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 09:30 AM »
Looks like you're in one of the few spots in Spain with no rain today. Hope you get out on your birthday present (tell me it's a road bike  :P)

And Have a Lovely Day!!!  :dancing:
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 17:41 PM »
Hi Simon
Happy Birthday (is that with a capital B or not )
From a cold León
Regards
Dave

Simon

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 21:03 PM »
Hi Guys, Gals and assorted don't knows,

Thanks for all your good wishes - always knew I could rely on this 'ere Forum* for some solidarity.

I/we did have a wonderful day, dodgeing between the storms that seemed to avoid us as we wandered around Southern Catalonia**.

Thanks in part to Tony's assurance that the sun was shining on Els Ports we went that way and had a great walk along the [ur=http://www.viasverdes.com/GreenWays/Itineraries/Catalu%F1a/Tarragona/Terra%20Alta%20Greenwayl]Via Verde de Terra Alta[/url] around Horta de Sant Joan, followed by lunch at Can Josep in Bot:- highy recommended and great to return to a place after over 10 years and find it even better - a rare experience!

We then returned over the amazing road from Bot to Prat de Comte via the Coll de Bot  (not on my birthday present, which is now waiting my further attentions, and a new brake lever :speechless:, in the Pyrenees!). A short hike to the top of Rocamala just about finished us off, including the huskies and so after a long slog home I'm now off to beddy-byes with glass of milk and a plate of Marmite*** soldiers - I'm feeling my age - now with blisters as well as the saddle sores!

Regs

Simon

* note the capital  >:D, it's not just any old forum but the Iberianature Forum
** capitalised when used with a country/region of a recognised status - now that opens a fine kettle of fish :technodevil: (Sp. anyone?)
*** use of proprietary names with a current registered trade mark  :booklook:

All of the above courtesy opf The Oxford Guide to the English Language  :dancing:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 21:07 PM »
Sounds like youi had a great day out Simon.... I can't think of anything better than finishing it off with marmite soldiers... In fact your mention of that stuff made me check my emergency marmite stores and I see with dread that I am down to the last jar.......ahhhhhhggg

Happy birthday! :)
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 23:15 PM »
Happy Birthday Simon
sounds like you'll need tomorrow off too!!
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com

Simon

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 04:24 AM »
Hi Clive and Sue,

Thanks to you two too (?) for your greetings. Clive, me too, and no chance of topping up during trips back to Gloomland - it's banned from hand luggage!

A bit of a PS to Lisa re:"tell me it's a road bike" well, no actually, it's dual purpose. But the idea of a big four-stroke single cylinder engine (and 650 c.c.s is big for one cylinder!) is that you can chug around the country lanes on just a whiff of gas, much less impact that all of these sceaming two-stokes, underpowered quads and, dare I say it, some gas-guzzling, ground crushing, hedgerow bashing 4x4s that I could mention :technodevil: If, on the other hand, you're saying that you hope I manage to stay on the road, as opposed to in the ditch, (hence the new brake lever, €36 + i.v.a.  :speechless:) then thanks, I need all the help I can get!

Cheers

Simon

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 17:52 PM »
Greetings All,
Re. María's "squashed tomatoes and stew", anyone know the Sp. version?  :technodevil:
Re. Simon's "kettle of fish", depending on context: "es harina de otro costal" or "¡Menudo problema!" :technodevil:

Keep-'em-coming regs.,
Technopat
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 17:55 PM by Technopat »
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Simon

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 18:53 PM »
Hi Professor Teeps,

Re. "squashed tomatoes . . ." I've no idea, but come Christmas time (we can agree on that capital, surely  >:D) I'll be singing along wth my mates' kids someting like,  (to the tune of Jingle Bells),

Tinc un pel, tinc un pel
surtint del meu cull . . .

Roughly translated:

I've a hair, I've a hair
growing from my bum . . .

You can guess the rest  :dancing:

Over and out for tonite

Simes

Offline nick

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
    • Iberianature
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 11:22 AM »
Hppy Birthday Simon !

Nick and Mónica
Nick
http://iberianature.com/barcelona/history-of-barcelona/spanish-civil-war-tour-in-barcelona/
Spanish Civil War Tours in Barcelona
http://www.iberianature.com/
A guide to the environment, climate, wildlife, & nature of Spain
The Amazon/Forum Bookshop - lend us a hand
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/shop/index.htm
And also now The Natural History of Britain
http://iberianature.com/brita