• 141 Replies

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« on: September 16, 2009, 21:21 PM »
Hi all,

So it seems to be time to be thinking about a forum get together for 2010....... There are two important decisions to be made so let's get the ball rolling with them..... they are........

Time of year and location....

Who has some ideas for the third Iberianature Forum Summit!

Clive
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 14:09 PM by Clive »
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 21:22 PM »
Hi all,

Simon from Cortijada Los Gazquez, Creative Retreat / Eco-Guest House has offered his place as a venue for a forum summit

http://www.losgazquez.com/en/index.html

As you can see from the front page of the website there is plenty of space for a tent to be pitched and there are 6 double rooms plus others available... Smiley

Location is La Hoya de Carrascal, Velez Blanco, Andalucia

We have a bit of info on the Parque Natural de Sierra Maria-Los Velez..at
http://www.wildsideholidays.com/natural/andalucia/59-10-sierra-de-maria-los-velez.html

Dates and donations to cover costs to be arranged of course.... But have a look and see what you think...

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 10:37 AM »
There was also talk previously of people meeting up in the Cuenca area as this is more central... there are campsites and a lot of great areas to explore.

Also Simon had previously proposed his Catalonian neck of the woods which sounds pretty good as well....

I guess we aren't short of venues but the time of year is more complicated :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 10:43 AM by Clive »

Offline nick

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
    • Iberianature
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 16:06 PM »
An issue for me is how long it takes to get there. The first two forums were great because I was able to fly near the venue. I'm not sure about having the time to drive across Spain - and I currently haven't got a car (but of course I could hire one)
Nick
http://iberianature.com/barcelona/history-of-barcelona/spanish-civil-war-tour-in-barcelona/
Spanish Civil War Tours in Barcelona
http://www.iberianature.com/
A guide to the environment, climate, wildlife, & nature of Spain
The Amazon/Forum Bookshop - lend us a hand
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/shop/index.htm
And also now The Natural History of Britain
http://iberianature.com/brita

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 17:40 PM »
Greetings All,
Living as I we do in the every centre of the Ib. Pen., the where of the Summit is not so much of an issue (apart from the seemingly inevitable carbon footprint) as the when.

That said, I don't have any preference for dates, but as my work schedule/plans can and do change from one day to the other, I can never truly relax until I actually head off for the Summit, and even then , there's the last-minute susto.

Following-on-from-the-first-two-fantastic-iberianatureforumsummits-very-much-looking-forward-to-the-third-one regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 08:12 AM »
I've had a thought. How about using our number to help eco-tourism ideals in an area that needs this kind of boost? I'm thinking Los Monegros but there are more that just don't spring to mind before my second coffee. If time of year could be agreed, for camping, Spain is our oyster! I imagine us chatting to locals, asking about the nature in their area................
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 18:29 PM by lisa »
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 11:36 AM »
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 18:28 PM »
Or the Vall d'Aran.
And, for somewhere completely different (for me anyway), I fancy the semi-deserts of Almeria. Any ideas Jesús?

That's-enough-ideas-from-me-regards,
Lisa.  :)
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 19:37 PM »
Great idea, Lisa!
(With apologies to Jesús) And now for something completely different: tent in the middle of the semi-desert - enjoy the blistering heat and count the scorpions* in yer shoes... :speechless:

*or are they alacranes down there?

Val d'Aran sounds cool  8)

Feelin'-the-cold-up-in-Picos-already-are-we regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 21:10 PM »
I like Lisa's idea of going somewhere that is "threatened".....

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 22:31 PM »
So do I - but I don't want to go anywhere where me Loved Ones or I will be threatened by any of Those Dangerous Things Out There in Nature.

By all accounts, there are more than enough dangers in me own bathroom, so I don't need to go looking for 'em...

Can't-we-get-group-discounts-at-Paradores-and-visit-a-couple-a-year? regs.,
Technopat

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 22:41 PM »
... and watch wildlife documentaries on widescreen tv?  :sign:

Simon

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 03:38 AM »
Mornin' all,

Before I head off for a week, here's the place I have in mind for a camping based Summit in the Pre-Pyrenees:

Camping Collegats is almost a nature reserve in its own right as the owners are molts simpàtics, having made the site a veritable arborium and botanical gardens, complete with nesting boxes, etc. It is located right on the riverbank and we see its 'resident' heron every day when we stay there, which is frequently. As well as hoopoes that pootle around amongst the tents . . .

Furthermore, there is a riverbank walk all the way to the 'town' of La Pobla de Segur, a kilometre or so away downstream (see map) so we have the interesting pssibilty of a carbon neutral summit*; if everyone arrived by public transport!

Timing: last fortnight in May and first in June are ideal. I also have an idea that the Madrid contingent will have one of thier few puentes over Corpus Cristi, i.e. Friday June 11, but I note from another post that June was ominously missing from Lisa's availability, so at this point I despair and thow my hands into the air :speechless:

I won't list the possibilities of the area as I've already done this on the previous posts (now blocked), but you can get an idea from my Casa Rafela website. Nick and Mónica know the site (it's where we watched the Raiers last July) and, thanks to a long weekend with us, have an idea of the possibilties too, so I'll leave more of that to them. (Lucy, I imagine you'd know the site too?)

I've already spoken with the owner: the way the site works is you pay for the parcela (€10.30) and then per person (€5.15) on top of this. The plots are really big, around 80 - 100 m2 I would say, so we could get at least three tents per plot , espcially if we leave the cars in the parking immediately adjascent to the site (a good idea anyway as I hate the endless shutting of car doors - made worse in groups!). As it's low season there we'd get a 10% discount anyway and I'm sure we can come up with something, at the very least participants can pay for themselves on a per night basis and we divvy out the plots between us all.

Furthermore, if we reserve plots next to the ex-barbecue we can commadeer this, thus having a built-up worktop for our field kitchen and a covered, surfaced 'dining room' (see below - taken last weekend on a dull day and after the site suffered the ravages of the summer season!). On the logistic side, knowing that some of us don't 'do' camping I have three tents (4, 2 and 1 person sized; the '4' could be 2+2, although I've never used the partition 'wall'!) to put into the 'pool', plus a 2 ring stove and a portable BBQ. I also have a couple of table and may be able to borrow a lot more kit, but I think it best if everyone tried to bring as much stuff as possible.

Reading Nick's comment above, and a bit more general logistics; I could collect the Barcelona contingent in my car (but may I suggest that y'all get out of the city first, Igualada, at the end of the FGC line). But if we opted to have the summit somehwere else I'd have to leave Mrs S with the car and come on my bike - whch I'd quite like to do anyway  :dancing:

So, at the risk of leaving out some important details** I'll leave it at that. See youse all next weekend!

TTFN

Simon

* to be honest I know that this isn't feasible as a) folks haven't got the time, b) the costs would escalate - especially allowing for car sharing and c) we'd probabaly lose too many opportunities just that little bit firther afield around the area, such as the Sierra de Boumort, Congost de Montrebei, Parc Nacional d'Aigüestrortes . . .

** oh yes, you can paddle in the river nect to the camping, but there are deep pools just a few hundred metres away and Sant Antoni reservoir will be full by June - but the water will be freezing NB the river always floods sometime in May, but we never know when - not the camping, however - famous last words!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 03:43 AM by Simon »

Offline glennie

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 19:00 PM »
Absence of public holidays in the spring mean I almost definitely am out on this one.

But looking at all the suggestions that are popping up, it looks like some kind of vote is gonna be necessary some time.
I guess you need firmed up proposals and then some virtual voting booths.   :)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 21:12 PM »
Glennie,

What dates are available to you from May through to September?

Like I said, the "where" is not really an issue but the "when" is.....

Offline glennie

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 23:15 PM »
Thanks for your concern Clive.

Heavens! That's a tricky one, though, with the way they mess about with the holidays up our way.

Friday 30th April is a holiday (just creeps into the period you mention). That would create a three day weekend, which might make summit attendance feasible depending on how far it were from Madrid.
May :  :'(
June:   :'(
From 1st July, Elena and I are both more or less free to take long weekends. I say more or less because it all depends on my exam timetables.
By that time, anyway, many places are far too hot for comfortable day-time countryside wanderings.
From mid-July everything is very unpredictable.
September brings possibilities but, again, they are subject to exam timetabling beyond my control.

So, the only 'useful' dates to which I could commit would be 30th April to 2nd May depending on where. In 2010, the Spanish public holiday system, which is about Saints and anniversaries, and not about the need for knackered citizens to rest up now and again, does nobody any favours, at least not up our way.

(Still I shouldn't complain. Look at the UK. From the August Bank Holiday (one day!) to Xmas..nothing. How on earth they don't celebrate 11/11 and VE day [surely the most wonderful day of the 20th century] is simply beyond me. The brutes have no sense of history and the need to remember.)

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 23:21 PM by glennie »

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 00:07 AM »
Greetings All,
Before certain iberianatureforumers out there  :angel: start thinking in terms of conspiration theories, y'all have Technopat's word of h. that there has been no collusion whatsoever 'tween members of the Madrid Fraction re. dates.* But as far as I'm concerned, Glennie's suggestion - yer man's a free agent - of April 30th to whenever sounds good.

*Our recent get-together consisted of exchanging observations on Spain's education system (?) and yours truly trying to convince Glennie that Menorca's THE place to spend summer hols.

May-day regs.,
Technopat

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2009, 08:09 AM »
As much as I like the look of Camping Collegats, I can't help feeling that April/May would be a little cool/wet? Simon?
I think we should have a poll as to dates. Shall I do it? What are they? So far we have April/May, early July or early Sept. Am I right?

Meanwhile  :) back to my Plan A and thinking springtime, I've found the Albergue Monegros. Read it, they're our kind of people! Pseudo-steppes birds, Dupont's larks, Pin-tailed and Red-bellied sandgrouse, bustards, etc. etc. Plenty of invertebrates and reptiles, spring flowers and pretty much garaunteed (one of my bogey words  ??? ) sun  8) Not far is one of Spain's largest lagoons, the Laguna de Sariñena.

Still, dates first..........
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2009, 09:21 AM »
I like the idea of exploring Los Monegros, instead of just passing through, which is what everyone does. 

Offline nick

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
    • Iberianature
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2009, 10:35 AM »
I spent a year or so in Zaragoza and I love the light and openness of the Monegros.

This webpage is an excellent review of the area's natural history:

http://idd004kb.eresmas.net/monegros/

At the moment, I'm reasonably flexible with dates, but ideally I'd prefer a "puente" or other holiday.

I agree with Lisa that camping might pose problems of a wash-out - though it would be kinda fun....But if we don't go down this route, Simon perhaps as you have investigated this so much you copy your content on this campsite into "the recommended places to stay" section? - otherwise it will get lost in this thread
Nick
http://iberianature.com/barcelona/history-of-barcelona/spanish-civil-war-tour-in-barcelona/
Spanish Civil War Tours in Barcelona
http://www.iberianature.com/
A guide to the environment, climate, wildlife, & nature of Spain
The Amazon/Forum Bookshop - lend us a hand
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/shop/index.htm
And also now The Natural History of Britain
http://iberianature.com/brita