Iberianature Forum

Mallorca

• 6 Replies

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« on: September 22, 2009, 22:25 PM »
Hi we are off to Mallorca in October for 6 days and will be based Puerto Pollensa, now other than the obvious walking which we will be doing, can anyone tell me some good places to go birdwatching  :booklook:. I will only have 1 day probably unless I can get EPNs attention span on our feathery friends to last a little longer.

Thanks

Maria

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 22:34 PM »
Hi Maria,

As coincidence has it a really great place in Majorca just made a listing at Wilside Holidays....

http://www.wildsideholidays.com/search-holidays-by-region-and-category/spain-guided-and-self-led-holidays/balearic-islands/agroturismo-alfatx.html

Perhaps you could send them an email, maybe they can help out with local knowledge for a lot of things...

« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 22:39 PM by Clive »
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 22:40 PM »
Spooky that thanks Clive I will contact them.

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 00:04 AM »
Greetings María,
Never remember this 'ere great iberianatureforum's policy on plugging books written by forumers, but since having acquired a copy of Teresa Farino and Mike Lockwood's excellent guide to Spain,* I never travel without it :dancing: - without it I wouldn't have made my first-ever tentative guess at the identity of me Egyptian vultures in Menorca :clapping:

Back on topic, if you haven't yet got yer copy:
Sa Dragonera (10 mins ferry from Sant Elm (near Andratx/Palma) "home to important colonies of Eleonora's falcon" and endemic Balearic shearwater, etc. and the nearby La Trapa, a 975 ha ZEPA - more info:gobtrapa@mallorcaweb.net

Serra de Tramuntana - 80km x 15km, of which 48 000 ha are ZEPA, northwestern flank of island (Andratx to Cap Formentor) - "important raptor populations": "home to only island population of black vultures in the world" but there's too many species listed for me include 'em all and I don't know which are of greater or lesser interest.

Specifically in Pollença area, birdwise there's Cap Formentor "cliff-nesting birds and an exceptional locality for migrating raptors and passerines", S'Albufereta, La Victoria, Parc Natural de S'Albufera (2584 ha of ZEPA and a Ramsar site) "undoubtedly the showpiece of nature conservation in Mallorca", 230 bird species (two columns of birds, many of which yours truly has never even heard of** - black-winged and collared pratincoles? - red-rumped swallow?? - penduline tit???) and dunes at Son Real/Sa Canova d'Artà...

**There's-obviously-more-to-this-bird-watching-lark-than-meets-the-eye! regs.,
Technopat

*Travellers' Nature Guide; Spain. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-850435-7
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 00:08 AM »
PS.
Just seen from other people's postings that I've missed yer birthday, too - never mind - at your age there's plenty more to come :clapping:

¡Que cumplas muchos más! :sign:
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 09:20 AM »
Mucha gracia TP for the info and birthday wishes, I hadnt seen the birthday posts either  :speechless:

Would love to see the black vultures, Eleonoras falcon and Osperays and anything else. Maybe the new camera lens will keep EPNs attention for more than 1 day as there sounds a lot of birding to do over there. He does have plans to take me on some scary ridges, so who knows maybe I will get stuck up there and sit and watch the birdies instead  :booklook:

Offline Aaron_Carter

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 14:45 PM »
Hello, Maria
I am not familiar that much with Mallorca bird places, but I am sure that they are not that much. In fact Mallorca is amazing place for visitations only. To grab the world there is very easy, especially if you have good accommodation. I can tell you for Barcelona that there are plenty nice located apartments. Check for example the vacation rental in Barcelona. It might give a good view from the balcony close to the see. I have been there several times and I have to say that from the short term rentals Barcelona you will have amazing view and will see lots of birds.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 14:50 PM by Aaron_Carter »