Iberianature Forum

La Tomatina - just a bit of harmless fun...

• 1 Replies

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« on: October 08, 2009, 19:18 PM »
Greetings All,
Some time back re. agriculture, wastage of water and whatnot, I mentioned in passing an obscene celebration which consists of throwing thousands of kilos of tomatoes all over the place. I couldn't remember where exactly it was held, but have just come across a reference to it and zapped off to visit
the corresponding website.

The fiesta in question is La Tomatina and is held in August in Buñol (Valencia). Officially organised by the local council - which leads me to suspect that we're talking public funding here, last year's edition used 117,000 kilos of tomatoes.

Apart from the wanton insult to the millions of people who die every year because of famine, I s'pose you homegrowers out there can work out how much water is needed to grow that many tomatoes...

S'pose I'd be more tolerant it if it had been an age-old tradition arising from the symbolic sacrifices to Mother Nature, blah, blah, blah, but we're talking 'bout a stupid celebration invented just over 50 years ago. I can only hope that the current crisis has made 'em think twice before trying to beat last year's record.

Anything-goes-in-the-name-of-culture-and-tradition regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 20:28 PM »
At least they aren't filling tomatoes with fireworks and shoving them up a donkeys bum and playing who can light the fuse first.....

I know what you mean though Tp.... But those damned ecologistas won't let us do anything anymore...........
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey