Iberianature Forum

Gazpacho - give me more...!

• 20 Replies

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« on: October 08, 2009, 21:14 PM »
Greetings All,
My recent posting on La Tomatina reminded me that I’d meant to post summat on gazpacho, one of Spain’s greatest contributions to humanity, ranking in my humble opinion, above the paella, and almost, but not quite, on a par with me mother-in-law's la tortilla española. :clapping:

From the humblest of origins, that of the peasants working the fields, I doubt there’s a single restaurant in Spain that dares leave this incredibly healthy and nutricious cold soup out of the menu in summer for fear of having to say “no” to a client coming in from the heat.

Although most of us probably associate it with the “original” Andalusian version of tomato, olive oil, vinegar,garlic, cucumber, green pepper and bread, Andalusia also has other versions in the form of my next favourite version, from Córdoba, salmorejo at Sp. Wikipedia which has basically the same ingredients but is much thicker and more intense in taste.

Then there’s ajoblanco at Sp. Wikipedia (ground almonds and no tomato, cucumbers or peppers), popular in Extremadura, Granada and Málaga. Málaga also has gazpachuelo at Sp. Wikipedia, based on fish, potatoes and mayonnaise.

For those of us who don't have time to make our own, Alvalle does an excellent  ready-made gazpacho in Tetrapak. Never one to go for such products, this one was recommended to me by a Usually Reliable Source who insisted I tried it, and I'm glad I did, 'cos it's good  :dancing:

Looking-forward-to-reading-other-people's-gazpacho-recipes regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 22:11 PM »
Clives emergency gazpacho in a rush recipe....

10 tomatoes
1 cucumber
1 small bell pepper
1 small onion
2 cloves of garlic
2 basil leaves
bit of rosemary
bit of thyme
pinch of ground black pepper
2 teaspoons soy sauce
half a cup of olive oil
one cup of water
6 large ice cubes

Put the ice cubes aside for a bit and stick everything else in a big dish.... Liquidise it until smooth... Chuck in the ice and liquidise it some more... Serve straight away.....

People ask me how long it takes..... One glass of wine or two tins of Mahou... It depends on my mood at the time :) .... (The batidora only needs one hand... ;)
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 09:21 AM »
Sounds like a great recipe Clive.
How many servings do you get from this ?

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 10:22 AM »
4 to 6 people and any leftovers go into a tomatoe sauce for pasta... :)

Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Petrea

• Cómpeta - Axarquía
    • Cómpeta Naturaleza
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 14:07 PM »
Why  emergency???  ???

This is more of a rush:

Take some tomato frito. Add to taste:

Liquid from your favourite surtido de encurtidos

water

spices

; -)
Cómpeta Naturaleza,  http://picasaweb.google.com/104328707567851681445

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.   (Thomas R. Dewar)

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 00:29 AM »
Greetings All,
Thanks for emergency recipe, Clive. Though I s'pose if you're in a real rush you can leave out the soy sauce :technodevil:

Petrea, much as I admire your musical "surtido de curtidos" (and expecting Dave to come up with a little summat al respecto), with all due respect (Sp. anyone?) can't help feeling that it's very much a quick fix job, along the lines of drinking DYC or smoking fag ends. While yours truly admits to being healthily addicted to the stuff - gazpacho, needless to say (Sp. anyone?) - not sure that drinking s-de-c is quite what the doctor ordered... and certainly not in line with the high standards I've come to expect from someone who makes such great looking pepparkakor. :o

Recipes-from-Andalusian-emigrantes-to-other-parts-of-the-country regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline Petrea

• Cómpeta - Axarquía
    • Cómpeta Naturaleza
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 08:33 AM »
Oh, but I would have thought that your favourite encurtido was some nice ecological stuff!  :o You´ll have to be picky and read the list of contents! :booklook:

Anyway, the main ingredients are water and tomato frito, which was actually recommended by a doctor here! She´s an expert in healthy food and, in general, loathe preprepared food. (Must confess that I haven´t told her about the encurtidos, though!)   :biggrin:
Cómpeta Naturaleza,  http://picasaweb.google.com/104328707567851681445

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.   (Thomas R. Dewar)

Simon

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 11:11 AM »
Hi Guys and Gals,

I couldn't resist this wondeufl description/recipe for a real gazpacho!

"You pour some water into a soup tureen, and to this water you add a dash of vinegar, some cloves of garlic, some onions cuts into quarters, some slices of cucumber, a few pieces of pimiento, a pinch of salt; then one cuts some bread and sets it to soak in this pleasing mixture, serving it cold. At home, a dog of any breeding would refuse to sully its nose with such a compromising mixture. It is the favourite dish of the Andalusians, and the prettiest women do not shrink from swallowing bowlfuls of this hell-broth of an evening.

Well, you may already have guessed that the author was a Frenchman! In fact Théophile Gautier went on to say that once recoverd from the initial shock "gaspacho" was rather good and, ". . . strange as it may seem the first time one tastes it, one ends by getting used to it and even liking it."

Meanwhile don't go running away with the idea that I spend all my time reading the giants of French literature  >:D. Rather, this quote is a result of so many, many nights curled up in bed with Elisabeth David*

Hope summer's not too long in coming next year!

Simon

* David, E. 'A Book of Mediterranean Food', (1950) John Lehmann: 24-5

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 23:02 PM »
 :clapping:
It was yer
wondeufl
that gave the game away re. the French connection, And as for the Romanticism... ::)

Simon

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 13:22 PM »
Thought you'd like that Mr T! 8)

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 22:12 PM »
Greetings All,
Having promised elsewhere to come up with the goods (Sp. anyone?), have finally gotten round to the local Mercadona and bought some of the Andalusian gazpacho. Happy to endorse it (Nick/Clive, what are the royalty angles on this one?). Bit mild for my taste, i.e. the Alvalle has more oomph to it, and I like to live dangerously, but most Spaniards actually seem to prefer the milder version of g. Probably due to all those ulcers and generally bad digestion they all seem to have here.  :technodevil: I also bought in a couple of litres of the salmorejo cordobés, which is also ok - don't forget to sprinkle flaked jamón serrano and chopped boiled egg on it. Of course, nothing beats the homemade stuff, but for those of us living in urban contexts and lifestyles...

Never-let-the-sun-go-down-in-summer-without-at-least-one-glass-of-gazpacho regs.,
Tp

Offline Rosie

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 20:53 PM »
There is a good recipe for gazpacho in the film 'Mujeres en el bordo de un ataqua (I think) neversiosa.( Directed by Sr. Almodavar/Aldomovar- what the heck is his proper name?) Especially if you leave out the sleeping tablets.

Rosie

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 22:21 PM »
Greetings Rosie,
Oh dear, oh dear!
iberianatureforumers' tyops in English I've had to learn to live with. But tyops in Spanish - apart from my own despiste (En. anyone?) above* are just a bit too much for me to pasar por alto (En anyone?)

*curtidos instead of encurtidos  :o and down which I shall obviously never be able to live

Here's another recipe - the stale bread bit is an important detail often overlooked in gazp. recipes:
"Women on the verge of a tasty gazpacho": Recipe for a narcotic-free gazpacho at cafebabel.com

Can't-wait-for-summer-to-roll-round-so-I-can-get-me-fix regs.,
Technopat

Offline Rosie

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 18:47 PM »
Hi TP

Not typos I'm ashamed to say, just poor Spanish aided and abetted by a very bad memory.

Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios - Pedro Almodovar. Of course.

I too have always understood that gazpacho contained bread and assumed that this was a handy way of thickening the soup and supplying carbohydrates at the same time, whilst saving one the bother of having to dip one's bread in it.

In the Costa Orihuela area it is usually called gazpacho Andaluz and also comes with a garnish of chopped peppers and onions and sometimes pepino which you add to taste and supplies a bit of crunch. Delicious.

Rosie

Simon

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 22:18 PM »
Evenin' all,

Dreaming of hot summer picnics I just had to add my twopenn'th*. Strictly speaking gapzpacho doesn't have to be red nor have tomatoes as an ingredient - ain't I a spoilsport!  :dancing:

Regs

Simon

* I've had huge probelms with spelling this - so much so that I've decide to leave 'probelms' as  stands 'as typoed', in honour of former glories  :technodevil:

« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 22:23 PM by Simon »

Offline Rosie

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 18:20 PM »
Is 'gapzpacho' the version with no tomat

javascript:void(0);
Rosie

Offline Rosie

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 18:22 PM »
AHEM...sorry about that.  Meant to say tomatoes and insert technodevil, but pressed the wrong key.

Rosie

Simon

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 18:51 PM »
Well maybe - only here on IbNat will you find the 'ga*' in 'gapxpacho'!  :dancing:

Regs

Simon

Offline Manzanilla

• La Vida Alcalaina: life in a pueblo blanco in southwest Andalucia
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2010, 19:20 PM »
Gazpacho doesn't have to be cold!  Round here (Cadiz province) we have a winter version, very thick and hearty, and served hot in wooden bowls.

Gazpacho had its origins in the campo, when agricultural workers didn't have time to go home for lunch.  They used to soak bread in wooden bowls called dornillos.  Onion, garlic and tomatoes (if they were in season) were pounded to a pulp in another bowl and added along with olive oil, salt and vinegar.    Food to go!   When times were hard it was often just bread, water and oil.

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 22:32 PM »
Greetings All,
Re. Simon's great
Strictly speaking gapzpacho doesn't have to be red nor have tomatoes as an ingredient - ain't I a spoilsport!
, have just discovered that I never got round to telling y'all 'bout the delicious cherry or strawberry versions that my friendly neighbourhood restaurant chappie produces alternate summers - while obviously always stocking the "authentic" stuff.

Not-likely-to-get-hold-of-the-recipes-until-after-Xmas,-but-will-try-to-remember regs.,
Technopat