Iberianature Forum

Yet another of my dogs with Leishmans

• 4 Replies

Offline campochick

• Casagalesa
« on: October 10, 2009, 13:03 PM »
When my last dog had to be put down because of well advanced Leishmans we had our other 2 dogs, they are all Dobermans, blood tested in Feb this year. Now the mossie season is over we had them tested again, Taffy is Ok but has to have another test in 2 months as his blood count registered 40. Megan´s blood count was 80 which is what the Vet called borderline and treatable, so now Megan is on 3 tablets a day and another 2 tablets every 4 days until her next blood test is done again in 4 weeks. Hopefully the blood count will show all is OK and my vet is hopeful. It seem´s that Leishmans attacks dogs with short hair as it is easier for the mossie to gain access to the ears and snout, as opposed to long haired dogs. Megan has put weight on over the last 7 weeks so that is a good sign to start off with. I am gutted again that this has happened, surely it is about time that a vaccine was available to control this horrible disease. All of my dogs have worn the Scalibor collars all year round and we were advised to change every 5 months, but they have still been bitten regardless of the fact that they are supposed to be 95% effective, didn´t stop mine from getting Leishmans. It´a horrible way for a dog to die and unless you have regular blood tests you will never know if your dog has got it or if it is too late to treat. I have had mossie sprays, candles and plug ins and none seem to help. ???   There are probably thousands of dogs in Spain who are carrying Leishmans that we don´t even know about.  >:(
Check out www.casagalesa.com a Beautiful 1 Bedroom Cottage that sleeps up to 4 people. Set in a quiet rural location surrounded by Carob,Olive,Almond,Fig trees and wild Lavender  a truly chill out place to be. We also have 2 Double rooms on a B@B basis in our main home.

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 13:36 PM »
Hi that is very sad to hear, but im begining to believe its inevitable if you own dogs. If you have 1 dog with it, more than likely the others will get it to as the sandfly only has to bite the infected dog and move onto the uninfected dog and hey presto!! I understand they are working on a vaccine that is in its final stages of trial, cant come soon enough if it works. The Scalibor collars are only about 80% effective. The best chance you have is by keeping them in an hour before sun down until sunrise but nothing is effective and its not always a viable option.

Someone passed this survey on to me that shows the results of a study that has been carried out in the Alpujarras region, nice to know they are trying to study this disease but all it confirms is that we live in the best area for the sandfly to exist.

One of our dogs blood count came back at 80 and so he started treatment a year ago. Your dogs treatment sounds very different to what we had to do. Our dog is fine at the moment and seems a happy healthy dog. Our husky has to go and be retested as his first count was in the "not sure" zone and so the leonberger will get re tested then aswell. The leonberger has long hair and the husky has thick hair so as much as they say short haired dogs are susceptible it does get them all.

I hope your dog responds well to its treatment, some dogs get the disease and live full and happy lives, lets hope ours are some of those.

Offline campochick

• Casagalesa
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 11:04 AM »
Hi Maria,

What treatment did your dog have??. My vet said that Megan has a very very slight show of Leishmans so the tablets, Levamisol  2 tablets every 4 days and the Alopurinol 1 and half tablets twice a day. I did notice a few weeks ago that her nails needed cutting again and only did them a few weeks before, so an early sign. I am hoping Megan will respond well to treatment. I read that it is dangerous to let your dog out between dawn and dusk but it is so awkward when then need to go out for a pee.  Megan has slept in the house all thru the summer months as she is incontinent of urine due to a botched up spaying op and we kept the ac on for her as she pee-ed less when it was cooler, but obviously the mossie still got her, with the collar. It is so unfair that all of these dogs have to suffer this awful disease.

Chrystine
Check out www.casagalesa.com a Beautiful 1 Bedroom Cottage that sleeps up to 4 people. Set in a quiet rural location surrounded by Carob,Olive,Almond,Fig trees and wild Lavender  a truly chill out place to be. We also have 2 Double rooms on a B@B basis in our main home.

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 13:36 PM »
Hi Chrystine

Bruno started off with injections of Glucantime into his back leg every other day for 10 days and since then has been on 1 tablet of Alopurinol and 1 tablet of Levamisol every day. The same treatment was given to the labrador who died earlier this year. Our dogs do not stay in the house at night, they are happier and cooler outside but the door is open for them to come and go as they please. Poor Megan is having a rough time at the moment.

Have a read of this post, if you have not already, it explains things quite well. The reason dogs suffer so much from this disease is that the blood can not be cleaned as the parasite stays in the bone marrow, but in humans it can be cured.

It seems to me that vets are all trying different methods with the same drugs trying to help the dogs, maybe one method will eventually work the best, hopefully in time for our dogs.

Maria

Offline campochick

• Casagalesa
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 14:11 PM »
Thanks Again Maria,

I will keep you updated on Megan and Taffy´s progress, Megan goes back for another blood test on the 9th Nov and Taffy 4 weeks later.

I have a wonderful vet and she is most helpful and totally trustworthy.

Chrystine