Iberianature Forum

Pinceladas de la vida diaria en Madrid...

• 1 Replies

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« on: October 15, 2009, 19:50 PM »
Greetings All,
We all know of Spain’s amazing variety in landscapes and accompanying flora and fauna. :sign: And while Technopat considers that Nature is the undoubtedly the highest of all art forms, and that our flora, fauna and natural phenomena, such as sunsets, sunrises, the colours of autumn and spring, cannot be beat, :clapping: he must confess to admiring people with artistic abilities.

And while yours truly may not know much about art (though he sure ‘nough knows what ‘e likes), 8) he knows enough to know that Spain has produced, directly or indirectly, many masterpieces, ranging from the rupestre (En. anyone?) paintings in the Cuevas de Altamira to Velázquez to Murillo, from Goya to Juan Gris, from Picasso to Dalí to Tapiés, and so on.

And that’s not including all those by the grand old masters from foreign lands commissioned or acquired by Spanish monarchs through the ages, including, but not limited to, Dürer, Botticelli, Tintoretto, El Greco, Bosch, Rubens, Titian. 

Such a longstanding relationship with graphic art has to have some explanation, and I’ve often pondered over it, to no avail. Mediterranean diet? Garlic? Olive oil? Wine? Abundance of sun? Harshness of the climate? Socio-political hardships? :booklook:

But today, driving down the street here in Madrid on a sunny autumn morning in 2009, I came across the key that explains Spain’s ability to produce such an amazing elenco (En. anyone?) of painters. A man in a flourescent green jacket requested me to slow down and drive past his mate who was kneeling on the zebra crossing  - painting the stripes of same by hand with a paintbrush no wider than two inches.  :o

I drove past slowly enough to clearly see that he was not filling in gaps left by any air compressor a) ‘cos there wasn’t one anywhere to be seen and b) because I could see exactly where he was painting over the old paint. New environmentally-aware way of avoiding spraypaint particles entering the amosphere? Employment-boosting strategy induced by ongoing economic crisis?

The image is indelibly engraved on my mind and will spring readily to same the next time I hear talk of pintores de brocha fina o brocha gorda :technodevil: - together with the image of a man painting the line separating the lanes on Portugal's brand new, but not yet officially-opened, motorway down in Algrave back in the early 90s.

Who-needs-new-fangled-technology-to-do-what-humans-have-been-doing-perfectly-well-by-hand-since-at-least-Palaeolithic-times? regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 21:30 PM »
Excellent..... I once thought that I had encountered a Semana Santa pennant of the Virgin on his knees on his way to some place of worship... But no, this one had knee pads on and a paintbrush in hand.... he was making the dull grey lines on a zebra crossing shiny white again.... Interesting that his mat had the dual job of directing the traffic and holdin the tin of paint at the same time..... Hmmmm a dangerous mezcla of duties if you ask me....
Employment-boosting strategy induced by ongoing economic crisis?

Don't start me off on that.... Did you know that all those PlanE signs going up everywhere are costing 40 million Euros.... I wonder who the official sign maker is realated too.... :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 21:32 PM by Clive »
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey