Iberianature Forum

The 'setas' scam

• 5 Replies

Offline glennie

« on: October 25, 2009, 18:31 PM »
On the wings of endless publicity from the press and local TV, the villages in the Lozoya valley are in their 'Degustación de Setas' month.

Sounds great. You arrive in Lozoya, go into a perfectly ordinary bar and check the raciones in the menu.

Boletus Pastora - 14.50 euros!!
Niscalos . 11 euros!!

Is there a parallel nation in Spain which comes out at night? A nation where everyone earns like a Finn and there ain't 20% unemployment?

If not...

Who has this kind of money ... for a plate of mushrooms?

I've been here 20 years and I still don't understand how apparently ordinary folks seem to have a full piggy bank to smash every weekend.

A low wage economy? Maybe.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 18:34 PM by glennie »

Offline Bob M

• Teflpedia
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 08:52 AM »
I wax going to write something cynical about the black economy - but given that a large part of that was based on the building industry it's probably not as active as it once was.

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 11:08 AM »
Greetings All,
While Bob was going to wax cynical, yours truly had been meaning to wax lyrical :dancing:

Happily thinking I was doing my bit to sustain rural initiative and helping to maintain traditional whatchamacallems, I got stung years ago by the degustacion lark and have never been back, but logic tells me that the prices have probably gone down a bit 'cos of the current crisis, and that organisers of such events are making more use of public money to subsidise and fomentar (En. anyone?) rural tourism.

On the other hand, the nation that invented the picarasca is hardly likely to be flummoxed by a mere crisis or two. Moonlighting has always been second nature here with policias municipales as taxi drivers and everyone earning pocket money on the side doing chapuzas (En. anyone?).

However, to wax as lyrical as I would like will bring us onto the difference 'tween an economic crisis and a financial one (such as the current one),* which in turn will take us too far off-topic and will likely awaken the wrath of the Sleeping Beaut Our Great and Wise admin down in Grazalema, and who is likely to come down on me like a ton of bricks wall stones or setts or whatever 'e calls 'em.

*peeping into chapter 2 here, this is what explains how stock markets can hit alltime highs while we mortals suffer economic hardship.

But basically, those who actually have a job are no worse off now than they were say, 5 years ago

Will-try-to-come-back-on-this-one-at-another-thread-soon regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 22:56 PM »
Greetings All,
Just before I head off to new thread, re. pricey degustación de setas, and to get things in perspective, mate of mine this weekend spent 15 euros on an enormous dish of assorted setas for 4 pax in a poshish restaurant/bar he frequents in El Escorial (a pretty pricey place).

We're-going-nxt-weekend :dancing: regs.,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 16:21 PM »
Update on price of níscalos :
Checked with my restaurant chappie today, wholesale price - as of today - for restaurants, i.e. better than average quality & size than for street markets & bars, etc.: €29 kg  :o

These will drop to around €6 kg over the next few weeks - or not. Depends on amount of rain, and for the moment, contrary to what I had thought, not much 'appening around Madrid - 'shroom-wise  >:D

Refuse-to-be-drawn-into-the-Caja-Madrid-scam -debate regs.,
Technopat

Offline glennie

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 19:48 PM »
Very little shroomy activity indeed so far despite last week's rain.

The wholesale price may come down but something tells me that that won't be reflected in the umpteen Bares Maripili up and down the Valle del Lozoya. We'll see.