Iberianature Forum

Boletus Edilis Penny Bun

• 4 Replies

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« on: November 15, 2009, 19:00 PM »
Hi All
A successful if very wet forage today in the Mountains of León , with a local Mayor, He showed us what to look for and we failed miserably, but he found these fine specimens of Boletus Edilis one of the most sought after Fungus, attached a photo, but has anyone got any recipes, or how to store the said ´setas´. can you freeze them ? The Euro in front is for size comparison, these were huge
Regards
Dave
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 17:15 PM by Dave »

Simon

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 16:40 PM »
Hi Dave,

What a great trove!

Like you I'm a bit of an 'España Directo*' fan - in small doses I must say and with a sense for the tongue-in-cheek!

Ace reporter (well, everything's relative!) Enrique has been reporting a lot of recipes for setas lately, and they are faithfully reproduced here on the relevant bit of their homepage!

Enjoy

Simon

* I suppose this admission means the and as far as Technopat is concerned - but have a heart teeps, we're all human, warts an' all   :technodevil:

Offline Spanish Footsteps

• Spanish Footsteps
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 22:54 PM »
Hi Dave

You have a good catch there.  We picked several Kilos last year and found the best way to preserve them is to dry them.  Cut them into fine slices and put them on a drying rack, by the window or in an airing cupboard.  We did this and still have several bags which we use all year round.  When you re hydrate them you can use the juice for soups etc   We made some mushroom crockets, risottos, soups and great sauces and even took some to friends in the UK

Discover the culturally rich province of Soria with Spanish Footsteps.
We provide unique walking holidays in Northern Spain.
For lovers of Nature, History and Culture.

www.spanishfootsteps.com

Unique walking holidays in Northern Spain

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 11:24 AM »
Greetings All,
So this is what y'all get up to when some of us have work to do :banghead:
As Simon (trove) and Alfredo (catch) have said before me, that's a great haul you got there.

Unfortunately don't get much in the way of Penny buns where I live, which is a pity 'cos I love 'em. But don't forget that Boletus edulis, especially when young, is easily confused with Tylopilus felleus, which often grows inthe same place. One way of distinguishing 'em is that young Penny Bs have a faint, fine mesh of veins on the stem whereas the veins of the young Tf are clearly marked, coarse meshed and brown. Older specimens are harder to confuse, as the Penny Bs' spores are yellowish whereas the Tfs' are pinkish. They're not poisonous, just very bitter (although the scent is pleasant) so no harm done if you do mix one with the others - except that it will ruin the taste of the dish.

Alfredo, out of curiosity, when dried, I'd imagine there'd be no way of distinguishing 'tween the two. Reason I ask is that what with the crisis and the rain, my restaurant chappie says that he has had far more people coming to him to sell him 'shrooms than ever before. He never accepts 'cos he's been in the business a long time and knows loads of stories of what can happen when you buy foodstuff off the back of a lorry. (Sp. anyone?)

Some-people-have-all-the-luck regs.,
Technopat

PS. Luckily I hadn't come across this thread before the Summit or Simon would have found 'isself camped out by the fifth pine on his own. "España Directo" indeed!

P*S. Several kilos!!!!
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Spanish Footsteps

• Spanish Footsteps
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 21:55 PM »
Hi TP

Yes I agree with your friend you have to trust the person selling or buy fresh.  We have had people buy and then recommend to other friends, and yes we got several kilos over a two week period.  One PB was 500grams in weight alone.  Gotta love living in the country.
Discover the culturally rich province of Soria with Spanish Footsteps.
We provide unique walking holidays in Northern Spain.
For lovers of Nature, History and Culture.

www.spanishfootsteps.com

Unique walking holidays in Northern Spain