Iberianature Forum

PC problems.

• 9 Replies

Offline mick

• Granada Wildlife
« on: November 23, 2009, 23:14 PM »
Hi All.

Being the total computer pillock that I am I should not have started to mess but today I have put some new / extra memory in the PC and all was fine to start with. Tonight I have come to it again and one of the partition drives (D) in the hard drive has disappeared and I can not access it as the computer is not picking it up.
I have taken the new memory out and the problem is still there. We did have a power cut this afternoon which crashed the system but it appeared to reboot ok and I did not notice whether the problem was there then. Any Ideas or help would be great but please keep it simple as my PC Knowledge is small.

Many thanks Mick.
MICK RICHARDSON.

WILDLIFE GUIDE IN WESTERN GRANADA PROVINCE, BIRDS, BUTTERFLIES, DRAGONFLIES AND ORCHIDS.

PLEASE HAVE A LOOK AT THE WE SITE & BLOG WITH MORE PHOTOGRAPHS AT www.granadawildlife.com  or   www.lojawildlife.com

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 15:42 PM »
Hi Mick....

Operating system?
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline mick

• Granada Wildlife
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 15:51 PM »
Hi Clive.

I am running Windows XP

Mick
MICK RICHARDSON.

WILDLIFE GUIDE IN WESTERN GRANADA PROVINCE, BIRDS, BUTTERFLIES, DRAGONFLIES AND ORCHIDS.

PLEASE HAVE A LOOK AT THE WE SITE & BLOG WITH MORE PHOTOGRAPHS AT www.granadawildlife.com  or   www.lojawildlife.com

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 16:04 PM »
right-click my computer => manage => disk management. What do you see there ? You can take a screenshot if you want by holding down shift and pressing "impr Pant (print screen)... then just use paste in an image editor to prep the image of the screen to load up here...

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline mick

• Granada Wildlife
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 16:15 PM »
Hi Clive.

I have done what you have said and I will load a picture here but not sure whether it will be clear on not. There is no mention of a D drive.

Mick
MICK RICHARDSON.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 16:28 PM »
OK so you didint have two seperate hard drives you had one hard drive partitioned into a C and a D yes? You have a link on the desktop to the D drive and it shows as file not found or something when you click on it to open the d drive?

If so I guess you should do a checkdis to find any errors... I'm not an expert at this though..... I would use the read only first and then if it finds errors use the third option to scan and attempt repairs...

Not knowing what you did though Mick, I hope that you didnt have a lot of stuff on the D partition.... Ouch.... I take it you have checked physical cables and stuff?

Manual steps to run Chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
   2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
   3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
   4. Use one of the following procedures:
          * To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.
          * To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start.
          * To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
      The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
      Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 16:31 PM by Clive »

Offline mick

• Granada Wildlife
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 17:18 PM »
Hi Clive.

Thanks very much, told you i was a pillock.  :banghead: Jayne is beating me around the head calling me a spanner at this very moment. After your little prompt about the cables I thought I had better check. Found a great big red cable going from some board or other lying in the bottom of the case. I have always thought that there was just a single hard drive in the pc but it turns out there are two and I had dislodged the power cable or something else that it needed to work.

Any way all is sorted now, many thanks and sorry for messing you around.

All the best to you all Mick.
MICK RICHARDSON.

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 17:54 PM »
Hi Mick
Glad you sorted out your problem, the great thing is next time you will know where to start, believe me in a career, around PC´s I learned nothing from things going smoothly, it is always when you have a problem that the greatest lessons are learned.
regards
Dave

Offline Sue

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Grazalema Guide
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 19:43 PM »
A loose cable is better than losing loads of your great images!!  :sign:
Thinking of visiting the beautiful Sierra de Grazalema in Andalucia?
www.grazalemaguide.com

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 20:47 PM »
Tee Hee..... Didn't put the cables back.... Give him another clout Jane :)