Iberianature Forum

Abandoned puppies

• 8 Replies

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« on: January 21, 2010, 09:43 AM »
Hi just thought I would share with you what someone abandoned outside our house on Tuesday evening! How anyone can do this is beyond me. They are adorable but having no luck in finding them a home it looks like its a refuge center for them unless anyone else has any ideas.

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 11:40 AM »
I went through a phase of finding animals outside my door, but I don't think it was human work just that the animals "knew" a soft spot. These 2 are obviously too young for that though. Suppose the person responsible thought what's the difference between 2 and 4. Still......... They look to have different fathers, the top one's going to be bigger!?
Sorry Kiersten, got 2 unwanted of my own at the mo but have just had a bright idea. Watch this space!!
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 12:01 PM »
Hi Lisa

That sounds exciting, I shall watch this space. We have 3 already so would be 5 if we took them on as well, they are just the cutest little pups.

Offline Bob M

• Teflpedia
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 21:19 PM »
They are certainly cute.

Hope you find a home for them.

Bob

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 09:09 AM »
Hi Maria
Hope that you have luck in finding a home for them
Don't know about down your way but up here they would have no hope of getting placed into a refuge as they are all full to the brim with abandoned dogs.
As this is a huge problem in Spain I don't know why they don't run a national Spaying Day like some other countries do with the job being carried out for free. 

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 09:25 AM »
Well, my bright idea tells me that dogs are constantly being abandoned in the sierra but has passed me a link to the Fundación Affinity and I suppose you know the Sierra Nevada Refuge?
Putting up posters in town may find them somewhere.
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Maria

• Full Shroomy
  • Sierra Nevada
    • My personal website
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 12:52 PM »
Yes all the refuge centres I tried were full. But a lovely man who works for the Junta de Andalucia took the pups to Granada yesterday for us to a rescue centre where they will not be destroyed after a certain period. He thinks they will be rehomed very quickly because they are particularly cute. Fingers crossed they will find nice happy furever homes.

As this is a huge problem in Spain I don't know why they don't run a national Spaying Day like some other countries do with the job being carried out for free.
I agree Ive no idea why spaying is such a problem here, a national spaying day works very well in most countries.

Offline tonyninfas

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 19:15 PM »
Yes

I agree Ive no idea why spaying is such a problem here, a national spaying day works very well in most countries.

Don't know what happened but this posted before I had made my comment, which was that I would imagine it is discouraged by the vets as they charge the earth for carrying the process out.  But it rather defeats the object doesn't it as the prices they charge they don't get any takers.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 19:18 PM by tonyninfas »

Offline Val

• www.cactusinspain.com
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 08:42 AM »
I think one of the reasons a spaying spree wouldn´t work in Spain is because the people don´t like the idea of animals being neutered,especially male animals.They think it will make it less masculine and in the case of dogs,less fit for guarding and in the case of equines,less showy for when they parade through the streets.Soooo,hardly anything is neutered.This morning,I found an emaciated,flea ridden white greyhound puppy in my garden that someone had kindly posted through the gates in the hours of darkness.It has two toes missing on a hind foot with the actual bone showing.This is an old injury as it is completely healed except for the jagged edge of bone.The puppy is only about 10 weeks or so old .He is quite calm and not afraid but is sleeping soundly after a bath and de-flea.What am I to do with him???I already have 4 dogs,one of which is a very angry GSD who doesn´t want a stranger in his territory!Anybody interested,I will send photos etc.  Val in Cartagena