Iberianature Forum

Red Rock

• 9 Replies

Offline Just Jane

« on: December 02, 2009, 18:10 PM »
Would anyone care to comment on this stunning rock.  It is a few miles inland from the Costa Blanca. 

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 18:17 PM »
Hi Jane
This the famous Las Medulas Roman Gold Mines in León, the peaks are formed by the collapsed mineshafts.
This red rock is quite common around here
Regards
Dave

Offline glennie

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 21:30 PM »
Great photo Dave.  :)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 22:14 PM »
Whats the area called Jane? The cliffs there in your picture are beautiful.....
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 07:58 AM »
Just shows that Spain can rival any rock formations on the other side of the pond  :) I'm sure Nick will stumble on this at some point Jane and give an expert opinion on the rock type. I guess sandstone but as to the type  :noidea:
Both great images!!
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Dave

• Full Shroomy
  • León
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 10:53 AM »
Thanks Glennie
Not mine but a royalty free one from their site, oops should have put that with the post  ::)
Regards
Dave

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 12:55 PM »
 ::)  :biggrin:
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Just Jane

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 16:00 PM »
We were exploring an old road to get to the coast from Castalla, which is 30 miles inland from Alicante, without using the autovia.  This photo was taken near the end in the hills behind San Vicente del Raspeig.  We have seen other areas of this deep red earth in the area but this particular formation, with the white streaks, was worthy of a long look and a few photos.  The road was about 1.5 cars width and took about about an hour to travel around 20 miles.  We only met 2 other cars.

Offline steveT

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 00:48 AM »
As Lisa says it could be a sandstone ....... though it is very probably a marine sediment and could be a reworked sandstone ie it was once on land and eroded and then deposited out at sea and then uplifted again. It could also be a limestone of some sort with iron staining??? Or perhaps a sandstone that has be cemented together with dissolved calcium carbonate at some time in its formation.

The white I think could be 'recent' leaching of salt, gypsum or even perhaps calcite by water ..... if you look carefully it loks like leaching and not something that was formed along with the rock ..... its not in bands .....................

My geology is rusty and this is a best guess and could be very wrong. Though the area you were in is I understand is generally all old marine sediments (now sedimentary rock) with evapourite deposits (evpourated salt etc deposits ) that have been uplifted. Some are fairly old and some fairly young.........

steveT

Offline Just Jane

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 18:30 PM »
Thank you for your comments Steve.  We guessed that maybe there was iron in there causing the deep rusty red but my geology knowledge is very limited.  Whatever it is it's an impressive sight.  I will be on the look out for more formations in the area when we are next in that direction