Iberianature Forum

Natural Park Laguna Negra and the Urbion Glaciial Circuit - Now Declared

• 1 Replies

Offline Spanish Footsteps

• Spanish Footsteps
« on: February 19, 2010, 14:55 PM »
Hola

As of 17th Feb 2010, the Natural Park Laguna Negra and the Urbion Glacial Circuit, was declared, Sorias second Natural Park.   

The local paper reported:
The main objective is to conserve and protect its natural treasures (veg, fauna, landscapes), preserve the biodiversity and maintain and optimise the structure of its ecosystem.
In total there will be 4617 hectares of land and the two villages of Vinuesa and Duruelo de la Sierra. 

The area includes the glacial lake Laguna Negra, (the place that gave inspiration to the great Spanish poet Antonio Machado), and also includes the source of the Duero, amongst other beautiful spots in the Urbion.

The other Natural Park in Soria is the Canyon Rio Lobos, declared in  1985. 

The next place in line for declaration as a Natural Park is Moncayo (which has Sorias highest mountain), this is expected to happen by the end of the year. 

We are also personally excited as the fourth nominated place in Soria is the Sierra Cebollera, which our village, Villar del Ala lies within the designated area.  From our house we have views overlooking the Pico Cebollera.  I've added a pic of the Cebollera taken last month from our terrace.  Hopefully the declaration of the Cebollera will happen within 2 years.
Discover the culturally rich province of Soria with Spanish Footsteps.
We provide unique walking holidays in Northern Spain.
For lovers of Nature, History and Culture.

www.spanishfootsteps.com

Unique walking holidays in Northern Spain

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 21:48 PM »
Great news Alfredo and Louise...... As you know I am particularily forn of those pine trees up at laguna negra.... :)  I guess this will open up a new source of grants and other projects and I really hope that your amazing part of the Iberian peninsular gets the best support and sustainable development to benefit eveybody and the amazing natural park area for the years to come...
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey