Iberianature Forum

Readability

• 0 Replies

Offline Tembo

« on: March 10, 2010, 13:52 PM »
I've been using a website that was touted by the New York Times as one of the best website ideas in 2009. Its called readability and you can either google it or go direct to the link at <http://lab.arc90.com/experiments/readability/>. What it does it is allows you to create a certain look for a webpage that suits your tastes, and save that on your toolbar. When you open another website (a newspaper for example), you simply click on the button on your toolbar and it removes all advertising, pop-ups etc and just leaves you with the text and pictures, in exactly the font, size and background colour that you want. Magic. I often find that the font on web pages is too small at normal size, but too big when blown up, but this allows you to view it just as you like it. The website (which is free by the way) gives you a number of options for the look of the page, and you can play around with it to see which one works best for you.

It doesn't seem to work for all websites - when there are lots of page breaks of different threads (eg Iberianature), it gets a bit lost and only shows you part of the page, but for many others it works very well. I use it almost all the time now, though occasionally (out of guilt) I will keep the original page and click on an advertisement to do my bit for the site!

Tembo