• 11 Replies

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« on: April 08, 2007, 14:52 PM »
Hola,

Sue and I are very happy to have been involved in the production of this new guide book about the Andalucian Sierras. Sue worked particularly hard on the editing and we are both very proud that no less than 19 of our images have been published in the book

If anyone would like a copy please let me know as I can get a reduced price for members of the iberianature forum and Wildside holidays.

The nature guide to the Andalucian Sierras
from Malaga to Gibraltar (Spain)
ISBN 978 90 5011 251 2
208 pages, full colour

"The Alcornocales, Sierra de Grazalema and Sierra de las Nieves are superb nature parks in the mountains of western Andalusia. Not far away from some of the classic beach resorts of the Costa del Sol, they boast an unexpected natural wealth. Western winds provide the Mediterranean landscape with enough rain to create green valleys with murmuring creeks and dense, evergreen forests. The upper regions are bare and rocky with dramatic cliffs and deep caves.
These mountain slopes host a flora that ranks among the richest of entire Europe. It is also the land of the Iberian ibex, the griffon vulture and a twice-a-year tidal wave of migratory birds flying back and forth between Europe and Africa. Numerous mountain trails depart from picturesque towns and villages. They will lead you through vast forests, desert-like rock slopes, dramatic canyons and flowery orchards".

The book has been written buy Dirk Hilbers who runs the Crossbill Guide Foundation.

The Crossbill Guides Foundation is a young European non-profit organisation, founded in 2004. We work to increase public involvement with nature conservation by bringing together those people who are interested in nature and those who have made nature into their profession, such as scientists, nature conservation workers and policy-makers. In line with political developments, we do this on European scale.

You can see the web site at www.crossbillguides.org

Clive
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 14:58 PM »
That's not el Zorro de Coriscao lurking there on the cover is it? 
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline lisa

• Full Shroomy
    • Accommodation and Activities in the Picos de Europa
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 15:30 PM »
Seriously, congratulations Sue and Clive. It's an interesting concept, I wonder if there are any plans for a guide to the Picos?
www.picos-accommodation.co.uk
Accommodation, ski touring, snowshoeing, walking and info on the flora and fauna of the Picos de Europa.
SAVE SPANISH BEARS!
And now,
The Picos de Europa
Your complete English guide to these beautiful mountains of Northern Spain.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 09:46 AM »
Hola,

I asked the writer (Dirk Hilbers) about the fox image and here is his reply

"It was taken on the trail up to the la Torrecilla, Sierra de las Nieves, route 12, between point one and two. It was very tame, begging for bread. It was sitting (and later lying in the sun) right on the track and ate bread out of my hand."

I wonder how many tame foxes there are in Spain? I know of another one in the Sierra Morena 2 hours drive from Grazalema.

Clive

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline lucy

• Full Shroomy
    • Lucy's Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 20:40 PM »
I heard about a tame fox last summer, but can’t remember if it was in the Pyrenees or Picos.  A man explained that he stayed in a small mountain refuge and a fox would come in for titbits.  It was quite cold so they had to close the door, which the fox didn't like, demanding to be let out.  But after a while it would demand to be let in again.  This went on for quite some time.

Offline nick

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
    • Iberianature
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 10:28 AM »
Excellent. Will buy this before I next go down to Andalusia

Nick
Nick
http://iberianature.com/barcelona/history-of-barcelona/spanish-civil-war-tour-in-barcelona/
Spanish Civil War Tours in Barcelona
http://www.iberianature.com/
A guide to the environment, climate, wildlife, & nature of Spain
The Amazon/Forum Bookshop - lend us a hand
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/shop/index.htm
And also now The Natural History of Britain
http://iberianature.com/brita

Offline Dirk Crossbill Guides

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 08:06 AM »
Hello everyone,

The picture of the fox was, like Clive said, taken in the Sierra de las Nieves, Andalusia. I know of another tame fox in Monfragüe, close to the Portilla del Tietar, so that makes four on this message thread. This one too, would come for food. The Monfragüe fox is well-known by the villagers of Torrejón. The lady of one of the grocery shops knows this fox for years now, and she printed an image of it on her business cards. 
What strikes me is that the foxes here are all adults. I have encountered quite a lot of foxes in other European countries that were not shy at all, but these were all young animals, which were not really tame, rather, their inquisitiveness wins it from their caution. Adult animals in other countries were almost always shy. 

Offline Dirk Crossbill Guides

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 08:55 AM »
Maybe a word on the guidebook 'the nature guide to the Andalusian Sierras', which is after all the topic of this thread (thank you for posting it Clive). The guidebook was just released this March and is the sixth title in the series 'Crossbill Guides', which in turn is the product of the NGO (non-profit) 'Crossbill Guides Foundation', of which I am the founder. The Crossbill Guides Series should, in time, cover the major natural areas in Europe. We are currently writing books on the Cevennes in France, The Danube Delta in Romania and the Hortobagy in Hungary. In Spain, we currently have books on Extremadura and Coto Donana. We work closely together with local organisations and people (like in the case of this book, with Clive and Sue of Wildsideholidays, a.o.).

The guidebooks are a bit different from other guidebooks. Without going into it too deeply, here is the idea. We wanted to create a book that explains why the area in question is such a magnificent area. Obviously this is because of the birds, plants, reptiles, butterflies and great habitats that occur, so these are described in detail. But there is more then just a listing of species and habitats. Just as fascinating is the coherent system of ecology, geology and natural and cultural history that has created the landscape. The 'functioning of the landscape' is awe-inspiring and brings forth fascinating stories, which we implement in the book, and in the routes we describe in it. I think this ecology / landscape approach is the most distinctive element of the books. 

There is a lot more to the set up of the book, particularly from a nature communication perspective, but I won't bore you with that. If you are interested in it, send me an email on info@crossbillguides.org.

All questions, remarks and constructive criticism on the books is more than welcome. For new books, suggestions are welcome as well.

Dirk

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 17:28 PM »
Hola,

I now have a supply of all three Crossbill guides for Spain

The nature guide to the Andalucian Sierras

The nature guide to the Coto Doñana and surrounding coastal lowlands

The nature guide to Extremadura.

The link to the  information and sales page is
HERE

If anyone would like a copy of one (or all) of the books please DO NOT click the PayPal link to order. The reason being that all members of the Iberianature will get a 10 percent discount from the prices that are displayed.

Please email or PM me for more information

Clive

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 15:40 PM »
Hola,

The prices for the guide books to Iberianatureforum members are as follows.

The nature guide to the Andalucian Sierras  21 Euros (normal price 25)

The nature guide to Extremadura. 21 Euros (normal price 25)

The nature guide to the Coto Doñana and surrounding coastal lowlands 17 Euros (normal price 20)

Postage and packaging is 5 Euros for Europe...

You can see descriptions of the books at
http://www.wildsideholidays.com/index.php?action=page_display&PageID=74

Please email me to arrange delivery...

Clive

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 02:49 AM »
Thanx for that!
Will need to get over summer hols. before I can place an order - brought back too many books from the LOG - and had too many dinners out! - need to get back on even keel!
But am def. interested, so let me know if/when stocks are running out!
Regs.
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline spanishfreelander

• Badajoz
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 16:01 PM »
Hi Clive,
I would like to purchase the Guide To extremadura as it hopefully wont be long till we move up there and it will be very useful.
How do i go about getting hold of one please?
Dave