Iberianature Forum

Spring Foraging

• 2 Replies

Offline Spanish Footsteps

• Spanish Footsteps
« on: May 13, 2010, 22:48 PM »
This spring has been a wet one to say the least, unlike last year where rainy days were almost non existent.  So we have been making the most of the damp weather to forage for some good fungi.  We returned to our usual spots where we know St George Mushrooms (calocybe gambosa) grow, and managed to find a few new spots that we can add to next year’s forage.

We also managed to find a large quantity of Black Morels (Morchella elata).  They were hollow in the stem which is a good sign that they are not the false morel, (if you dont hear from me again you know they were).  We dried the morels, but have yet to try them and preserved many of the St George mushrooms, by far my favourite spring mushroom and easily identified by its strong woody smell. 
Discover the culturally rich province of Soria with Spanish Footsteps.
We provide unique walking holidays in Northern Spain.
For lovers of Nature, History and Culture.

www.spanishfootsteps.com

Unique walking holidays in Northern Spain

Offline Technopat

• Full Shroomy
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 10:53 AM »
Greetings Alfredo,

Just making sure "They were hollow in the stem...".

Re. yer "spring mushroom" in Spanish that's one of their names - seta de primavera or seta de San Jorge, highly appreciated by yours truly in Basque cooking as perretxiko (perrechicoin Spanish).

Warm-but-envious regs. from Madrid,
Technopat
Technopat's disclaimer: If this posting seems over the top and/or gets your goat (Sp. anyone?), please accept my apologies and don't take it personally - it's just my instinctive tendency to put my foot in it whenever/wherever possible. See also:
http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php/topic,266

Offline Spanish Footsteps

• Spanish Footsteps
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 22:18 PM »
The morels were definately hollow, although the neighbours dont pick them they confirm they are edible.  Havent seen a false morel here yet.
We will start collecting Boletus in August with the first rain storm.
Discover the culturally rich province of Soria with Spanish Footsteps.
We provide unique walking holidays in Northern Spain.
For lovers of Nature, History and Culture.

www.spanishfootsteps.com

Unique walking holidays in Northern Spain