Iberianature Forum

Sea Cucumber

• 2 Replies

Offline Val

• www.cactusinspain.com
« on: August 11, 2010, 21:54 PM »
Hello everybody,found a dear little furry brown fuzzy creature on the sea bed in the Mar Menor today.It looked like a piece of sea weed from the top of the water then,with the goggles on,it looked like a big slug!I tried to pick it up but the texture/feel of it was too much for me and I had to drop it!  Wuss,I know.It felt very jelly like.My grand daughter said it squirted out pink  stuff! Anyway,my daughter then swam over and she scooped the little person up into the palm of her hand where it promptly made like a hedgehog and made itself into a balll.We all had a close look at it. It looked brown and sort of hairy all over but not with hair.My daughter touched it lightly with a finger and purple fluid shot out over her hand.We put the creature back in the sea (the Mar Menor) and let it carry on with life as it knows it.

Was this a sea cucumber?Who knows? Do tell!  Very Brown Val

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Full Shroomy
  • Sierra de Grazalema
    • Wildside Walking Holidays - Spain
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 20:56 PM »
Roxanne mentions sea cucumbers in her excellent Mar Menor postings...

http://www.iberianatureforum.com/index.php?topic=699.0
Explore the nature of Iberia at www.wildsideholidays.com

The beautiful town of Ronda, the City of Dreams?

The spectacular Caminito del Rey, El Chorro and Guadalhorce reservoirs El Camino del Rey

Offline Val

• www.cactusinspain.com
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 08:37 AM »
Thanks Clive.I had a read of Roxannes musings.The creature does indeed look like a poop!CanĀ“t imagine what it thought it was doing cruising near the beach where thousands of busy feet were pounding its lunchbox!  Val